Buffalo Japan to launch a 19X DVD burner

I just posted the article Buffalo Japan to launch a 19X DVD burner.

With the widespread availability of 18x and 20x DVD writers and 20x looking to be the limit for DVD writers, Buffalo has decided to go with a more balanced writing speed of 19x. While this may…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13838-Buffalo-Japan-to-launch-a-19X-DVD-burner.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13838-Buffalo-Japan-to-launch-a-19X-DVD-burner.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

this is getting ridiculous!

I agree. I still burn my DVDs at 8x.

Rumors over here in japan are that it is a Liteon drive…

I already have two 19X burners. LITE-ON DH-20A3P’s never reach 20X with current RPM :stuck_out_tongue:

They should have done a 21x burner. It’d stand out AND be slightly faster. Only a few seconds faster but it’d probably look good enough on paper to attract quite a few buyers. “This one goes to 21.”

Why not just make a dual laser writer and be done with it. 2 lasers going @ 8x would be super high quality and just as fast.

Can’t say a 19x burner catches my attention at all, especially considering that I know of none that dedicated enough time to tweaking write strats to master a wide range of media, burning at 16x. Speed is nice–but only if it’s accompanied by consistent performance across a wide media range at that higher speed. To rephrase what Some Random Guy inferred, this seems no more than a game of one-upmanship, “jump on the bandwagon” mentality here. Instead of coming out with a new product, take far more time to research, develop and produce a quality reader/writer that won’t be around a few months or less to then be only ‘upgraded’ by another model. It seems to me the emphasis is only on getting products out, and not standing by the ones users already have (i.e., not enough firmware development).
This message was edited at: 03-11-2007 01:29

It’s all about marketing and delivering what the consumer “perceives” to be improvements - which in fact they aren’t. Higher burning speeds just makes it more difficult to produce quality burns and is totally superfluous.