Buffalo claims world's fastest external HDD - due 1 GB RAM cache

vbimport

I just posted the article Buffalo claims world’s fastest external HDD - due 1 GB RAM cache.

Japanese hardware vendor Buffalo claims to have worlds fastest external hard disk drive, the HD-GDU3. The boost in speed is achieved by the addition of 1 GB of DRAM that acts as a cache.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/buffalo-claims-worlds-fastest-external-hdd-due-1-gb-ram-cache-66156/](http://www.myce.com/news/buffalo-claims-worlds-fastest-external-hdd-due-1-gb-ram-cache-66156/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Wonder what happens to that 1GB of data if you turn the external off or unplug the USB before the cache is flushed?

I’m assuming it’s lost if it hasn’t been flushed.

Perhaps there’s a tiny battery located somewhere inside the device that keeps the data intact. That way, the data could be written once power is restored. Of course, one has to wonder how long this battery could last.

Anyways, seems like the only real purpose of such a drive is to generate bragging rights. It doesn’t actually speed up transfers to/from the HDD, just adds a level of complexity and potential failure. Is anyone really in such a hurry that they can’t wait for the seconds it takes to write 1GB to a decent HDD?

CDan, yes, exactly. What’s that little-boy mentality called? A p*ssing contest? To see whose goes further? And how many Greenstamps do bragging rights win? Enough for a coffeetable? Sheesh…

This is one of those “Just Because We Can Do It” engineering exercises and, frankly, from a Bragging Rights standpoint, this is an incredibly low bar to brag about jumping over. “Lookee - I can solder on a different mem chip!!”

Embed a 256Gb SSD onto the HDD circuit board and pop off, eh?

And the transfer rate STILL remains the same.

Get those engineers to improve THAT pathway and those memory controllers, ensure Read-Writes are reliable at those much higher rates, win the Standards Committee battle and THEN claim some real bragging rights.