Bueller...Bueller

vbimport

Hi all, new to forum and had a question. Did search on this and could not find anything. I am using AnyDVD and DVDClone2, dual layer +/- rw LG burner
and have a 3yr old Sony DVD player. The player seems to only like +R media, so that is what I am using to backup with +R media. I have tried to back up Ferris Bueller’s Day Off three times with the same result. I can play the backup in my dvd drive on the computer, but when I go to put it in my Sony dvd player…it says “no disc”, what gives?

After this happend backed up a copy of “the ring” and it played fine in my sony dvd player. I have selected to only burn the movis in my Clonedvd2 program. I also ran across this when trying to back up “Paparazzi”. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Looks like a great forum…will be looking around for more info…thanks all!

JD..peace <*)))><

A backup will almost [I]always[/I] play on the same drive you burned it on. I think nobody is answering your question because you have a player/media compatibiliy problem and you didn’t even mention what type of +R media you are using

Also:

what speed did you set CloneDVD to burn at?

are you booktyping your +R media

Whisperer

I am using Sony DVD +R’s 4.7 GB. Burner speed set at 16x through clonedvd2. Have burnt 10 titles and all play well except for “paparazzi and ferris buellers day off” Not sure what is going on…have a Sony DVP-S530D and out of 10 burnt these are the only 2 not working on my stand alone player. I am running the same settings for all backups.

Not sure what you mean by booktyping my media. I know that my stand alone dvd player will only read the DVD+R media type. Thanks for the response…hope someone can shed some light on this…

This is what anydvd is reporting on info…

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.9.5.9)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1372656 sectors (2680 MBytes)
Total size: 2744423 sectors (5360 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: FERRIS_BUELERS_DAY_OFF
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to Title 1!
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Thanks again…
JD…

@ 81’ Corvette Guy,

Please provide the Name and Model Number of your desktop stand-alone DVD player. I have never seen desktop stand-alone DVD player that will only read DVD+R media type.

Concerning Book Type Setting-> Suggest viewing the below Wikipedia link concerning Book Type Setting.

Also provide the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of your Sony DVD +R’s 4.7 GB Media. To obtain the MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of your Sony DVD +R’s 4.7 GB Media use a utility software program similar to DVD Identifier (http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com) or DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com).

Also when experiencing problems with backup copies of Commercial DVD Movie Titles failing to play properly it is prudent to ensure that your DVD Burner has the newest most up to date current Firmware installed.

Suggest viewing the below PC World article concerning DVD Burner Firmware.

Best Regards,
bjkg

You mean you’ve burned them at 16x? You can try also a lower speed sometimes it could be you’ve a few buggy discs in a spindle.

Sony DVP-S530D is the model of stand alone dvd player.

Ran identifier…following info found:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:YUDEN000-T02-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [YUDEN000]
Media Type ID : [T02]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Will check my firmware for my LG DVD Model HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-4166B.
Model : GSA-4166B

16X Super-Multi Internal DVD Writer with LightScribeTM Disc Labeling Technology

Highlights : Introducing the GSA-4166B, 16x Internal Super-Multi Triple Format Optical Disk Drive with LightScribeTM technology. With an incredible 16x max DVD burn speed, and 5x DVD-RAM. Double Layer DVD+R (8.5GB) and dual layer DVD-R (8.5GB) recording is also supported.

As far as burning, the media is 8x Sony+R…been burning at 8x’s.

Thanks again… JD

Your media is still perfect, like whisperer mentioned booktye to -ROM or lower burning speed.

Turn that OFF while ripping.

@ 81’ Corvette Guy,

Did a search at the Video Help Web Site (http://www.videohelp.com) for the Sony DVP-S530D desktop stand alone player and found numerous reports that CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW media have been successfully used in this device. Below are the results of the search conducted at Video Help Web Site (http://www.videohelp.com) concerning the Sony DVP-S530D desktop stand-alone player.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=Sony+DVP-S530D&Submit=Search&Search=Search&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dvdtv=&chipset=&orderby=Name&hits=25

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks LG Forum for information concerning Firmware for your LG GSA-4166B DVD Burner and book type bitsetting information. Suggest viewing the “Read First” posting in the beginning of the CD Freaks LG Forum.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Best Regards,
bjkg

I still think it’s being caused by the jump to first title option being used in AnyDVD…

Thanks all, will look up the lg forum and info on sony player…and samuri will try change the skip option…thanks again.

Well, turned jump to main chapter/movie…and in anydvd changed it to jump to main menu and still no go…dvd player read… “no disc”. Will keep on trying…thanks guys.

JD

If that’s the case, then burn it at 8x and see what happens like those guys said above. I have a Sony stand alone and it’s the most finicky piece of junk I’ve ever owned. I’ll give it credit that it can play all different types of media, but, it has layer break issues even with originals and at times it just stops reading discs for no apparent reason. I’ll be replacing it in the next few weeks with something that can handle Divx. That being said, I’ll never buy another Sony player.

My sister in-law came by today and told her I couldn’t backup Bueller…she had told me that the guys at the video store told her that the dvd’s with no paper backing on the label side of disc…the one’s with just writting…as in buellers case have something in the print that does not allow copying. Well I can run all my copies of this dvd off my original burning drive…just not my stand alone. Guess I will have to resort to that Santa software and give it a try…to convert from dvd+r to dvd-r and see if that works. Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks, JD

You know that the guys from the videostore are talkin total bulls**t!

@ 81’ Corvette Guy,

“The Guys At The Video Store” are either stupid or liars and appear to be both. There is absolutely no copy protection scheme utilized by Commercial DVD Movie Title manufactures that relay on some secret labeling printing to prevent backup copying. Also you can tell “The Guys At The Video Store” that there are no Commercial DVD Movie Titles released that have paper labels on them.

It amazes me that so-called knowledgeable individuals (The Guys At The Video Store) are freely telling bold outright lies to their customers.

Best Regards,
bjkg

That’s absolutely true bjkg, the ‘expert consultants’. You can find them today more and more in different shops.