Budget Build?

nzxt apollo black mid tower for the case
intel core 2 duo e8400 for the processor
corsair xms2 dual channel 1gb pc6400 800mhz for the ram
asus p5n-d for the motherboard
ultra lsp550 550watt for the psu
xfx 9800gt 512mb for graphic card

ive spent much time doing research on this and read so many reviews and this looks pretty good to me as a budget build. just a few questions though
since the nzxt apollo is a mid tower case will it be able to fit the 9800gt in the case… i have read reviews that it does but i just wanna be sure lol.
and next would this setup be able to run grid on med-high settings?

One thing I might do differently is get the Q6600 CPU and over clock it to 3.0-3.2 ghz. As more programs are written to take advantage of four cores it will be the better performer in the future, IMO.

ya actually i thought about the q6600 before this one i have heard so much about it and that it was really overclockable but the only thing that changed my mind from the q6600 to the duo e8400 is the slightly more expensive price.

With the price of RAM at the moment you should consider doubling the amount you have allocated…

Step up your power supply, minimum power supply requirements for a 9800gt graphic card is 500watts alone. The power supply is one of the most important pieces of your build so don’t cheap out on it.

:cool::cool:

about the power supply lol forgot about that… very important thanks for pointing that out. im gonna look at some more psus

ok about the psu what about the Ultra LSP750 750-Watt
lol this must be similar to the 550 one but more wattage i guess lol

ive read good reviews on it so may this do the job?

Without guessing the total make-up of your system, because each piece has a power draw, the 750watt power supply should give you some breathing room. It’s better to have a little extra rather then be on the cusp or short and your PC will thank you for that.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2168121]Without guessing the total make-up of your system, because each piece has a power draw, the 750watt power supply should give you some breathing room. It’s better to have a little extra rather then be on the cusp or short and your PC will thank you for that.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

i totally agree … a power supply is something you dont want to sacrifice in wattage and quality cause it can contribute to a more stable system.

bottom line… do not get a cheap power supply… pay the extra money for it… it’s worth it in the long run… and yes i know your on a budget… but your probably looking at 100+ dollars for a power supply that’s got that high of a wattage rating… i paid 109.99 for my Enermax Liberty 500watt back in March 2006 which is when i built my current PC… it was worth every cent cause my system is quite stable according to ‘Prime95’ torture test. (it stress tests your pc to make sure it’s stable)

p.s. the OP was worried about video card taking up to much room… ill just make a quick note in my case… with my case (which is mid-tower) and i have a Geforce 7900GT video card… it’s so long that one of my hard drive bay’s cant be used cause of it… i got 5 total in my case but only 4 are usable cause of the length of the video card.

You know I just totally miss that part of weather or not the video card will fit or not. The nzt case is said to support the NVIDIA 8800GTX card which is 4.38" in height and about 10.38" in length. The 9800gt is about the same dimensions 4.38" in height and 8-9 inches in length. So I think he should be okay.

Ultra is sort of a “house brand” like Rosewill…I wouldn’t give it any consideration (PSU) unless I found a “tear-down” review that identified it as being [B]built by a respected ODM[/B] and of course the review would have to be good.

And remember watts don’t mean crap, it amps…look at the amps/rails.
The watt listing is only useful for advertising and luring unsuspecting buyers.
A quality PSU with a lower watt listing will routinely kick ass on an elcheapo PSU with a higher watt listing.

Look at Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, PCP&C etc for your PSU.

It would be nice to know roughly where the budget stands for a power supply in the build. Then we can come up with some suggestions that curtail to his budget.

Yo-

Did I miss something - what is the budget amount - where is the OP located - and what is the objective of the build-eh??

This is what he was looking at.

Ultra LSP750 750-Watt PSU