BTC 1008 Firmware 0157 on LiveUpdate

Here’s the link

http://www.drvupdate.com/liveupdate/firmware/IDPFLIDR1008V0157.EXE

Very funny, after 0156 and 0256 it’s the time of 0157 :confused:

I saw this too.
But they don’t have it at BTC website.
Strange

YESSS!!!

Finally BitSetting Tool 1.04 see my 1008 with V157!

Now… if somebody would just release V157 RPC-1…

I take my words back…

It was not V157 that make BitSet Tool working… it was the DRIVE LETTER!

Apparently, BitSet Tool would not recognize the drive if it’s drive letter assignment changed into Z or Y…

So… maybe V256 also works with BitSet Tool… I don’t know.

BitSet Tool is working… last night I burned a DVD+R successfully with DVD-ROM Book-Type. Working flawlessly!

BitSetting Tool works fine for me with v256.

This is probably going to sound like a Firmware broken record these days, but has anyone figured out what the 0157 upgrade buys us? I’m running fine at 0256, but so far each upgrade has improved the product. Normally I follow the mantra of not upgrading firmware unless there’s a really good reason. Unfortunately they never publish “release notes” with these things, so you just have to guess that it’s going to help…

Anyone got anything on this?

i update my drive to firmware 0157 and bitsetting work perfectly now!!! use the bitsetting tool from 55b3 and set it to DVD-ROM. DVDinfo and Nero now both recognize booktype as DVD-ROM without having to check on a different computer!!!

I was able to use the bitsetting tool just fine under 0256, so I’m guessing there’s something else that drove the release of 0157.

Curious minds want to know…

I updated my 1008 to V0156, and after two DVD-R burns, it appears like the burn quality may have gone down.

On the same DVD-R media recorded at 2x, K’s Probe is showed the following:

4x read

V0256:
PI Max= 46 , Total= 36625 , Average= 11.837
PO Max= 23 , Total= 817 , Average= 0.264

V0157:
PI Max= 496 , Total= 262645 , Average= 84.888
PO Max= 26 , Total= 2999 , Average= 0.969

FYI, PRINCO media, which I know isn’t the greatest quality.

This is interesting. Everything I’ve read - even current - states that KProbe is only good on LiteOn drives. Nothing I’ve seen suggests that it’s good on anything but.

Could it be that your numbers are just the fact that KProbe is lost trying to figure out your BTC drive? I’d like to give it a shot if I was confident that it would work on my BTC, but I’ve read horror stories where KProbe locks up computers if it’s not a LiteOn drive.

Originally posted by stevencf
[B]This is interesting. Everything I’ve read - even current - states that KProbe is only good on LiteOn drives. Nothing I’ve seen suggests that it’s good on anything but.

Could it be that your numbers are just the fact that KProbe is lost trying to figure out your BTC drive? I’d like to give it a shot if I was confident that it would work on my BTC, but I’ve read horror stories where KProbe locks up computers if it’s not a LiteOn drive. [/B]

K-Probe somewhat “works” with BTC drives as well, but:

1: it is reporting errors incorrectly.
2: The result can’t be compared to results from other drives.
3: The results can’t be compared to the standards for PI/PO errors.

Originally posted by bigpow
[B]YESSS!!!

Finally BitSetting Tool 1.04 see my 1008 with V157!

Now… if somebody would just release V157 RPC-1… [/B]

where is the bitsetting tool v1.04?

…and it’s posted all over this forum!

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/rbiscani/DRW1008_v55b3_Bitsetting_v104.zip

Take a few moments and read through the threads on this bitsetting tool - there’s about 3-4 key ones.

Good luck!

thanks. btw the dangerous Brothers have now released an RPC1 0157 firmware for this drive

get it here:

http://tdb.rpc1.org/#DRW1008IM

It always surprises me that the firmware usually shows up first via BTC’s support product (LiveUpdate) and 3rd party websites than on the BTC driver/firmware page!!!

One of the key questions I posted earlier in this thread is your basic firmware question: what does it buy me? One respondent thought it actually degraded his burn process, but his measurements were with KProbe, which is known to only work effectively on LiteOn boxes, so I’m taking those numbers with a grain of salt.

So far the firmware upgrades have been improvements, but I’m worried about getting snakebit and installing one that either (a) breaks my box and I have to try and flash back to the previous version or (b) worse still, the box appears OK but the performance/quality of the burns goes down.

Geez, it sure would be nice to have some sort of Release Notes or whatever when we get new firmware flashes. I can only guess that since the hardware is still relatively new that the engineering team is finding bugs and fixing them as fast as they can!

I’ll pose the question again: does anyone have any idea what installing V0157 buy us?

perhaps Marco BTC could possibly shed some light on the firmware update situation and what changes are added?

Ok, I’m a newbie when it comes to flashing DVD writers. I have the DVDRW-IDE1008 drive and it is currently at v0054. I have downloaded the v0157 FW but I have never flashed this drive since I purchased it.

The tech support site says to flash the drive ONLY if there are problems. I don’t have any problems with this drive. Should I flash it or not? Will flashing it give me feature/performance improvements?

TIA.

this is the $64000 question. since BTC are one of the very few who do not post what the changes are. most updates on other drivers update firmware to improve writing on certain DVD media.

I personally have updated to 0157 and find it works fine. however if you are happy with the current firmware you have then just leave it…