Bt Raising Their Prices

vbimport

I can not belive that BT have raised their Internet Anytime Package by a Pound...I know it dont seem much to some people but whats the point ?

Originally posted by serpentuk
I can not belive that BT have raised their Internet Anytime Package by a Pound…I know it dont seem much to some people but whats the point ?

profit ?

But i think that makes Bt one of the most expensive anytime isp’s in the UK (Normal Access)

Originally posted by serpentuk
But i think that makes Bt one of the most expensive anytime isp’s in the UK (Normal Access)

then don’t do business with them… once they find out that all their customers run off they’ll lower their prices again…

Trust me. The problems with ISP’s that you have in the UK probably do not match the problems faced over here in the US. You complain about the pricing. We get lousy service, lousy support, lousy options, horribly slow access, and worst of all, we are charged insane amounts of money for it!:mad:
Maybe its universal but some of my friends who recently arrived from Europe said that their ISP’s were cheap and fast.

BT is Very Fast and Reliable…Thinking of Broadband…Any ideas on how good it is???..Whats the average download rate?

a few of my friends say the ADSL is both fast and reliable and worth it [for me the price is too high]

Trust me. The problems with ISP’s that you have in the UK probably do not match the problems faced over here in the US. You complain about the pricing. We get lousy service, lousy support, lousy options, horribly slow access, and worst of all, we are charged insane amounts of money for it!

believ me - we have all those problems + more!

I’ve used BT ADSL for about a year now. It’s been very reliable (gone down once for 3 hours) and speed is resonable.
From a high bandwidth, decent site I get an average download speed of 50-60Kb/s.

They have just reduced their prices - I think it’s now £29 +VAT per month for business users.

One drawback is use get assigned Dynamic IP’s which make hosting a webbie or ftp tricky unless you use an external company to handle DNS for you. You can purchase a fixed address but they charge £100 up front and an extra £10 per month.

Apart from the IP bit , they provide a pretty good deal.

OLDY

Originally posted by Oldy
ic IP’s which make hosting a webbie or ftp tricky unless you use an external company to handle DNS for you. You can purchase a fixed address but they charge £100 up front and an extra £10 per month.

You can get it for partially free.
Buy a domain somewhere (the only costs , about $ 15 per year or so)
make it redirect to a subdomain
register that subdomain at www.dnsalias.org
run a “update dns alias” tool (see website) along with your webserver.

Hey,

I too have BT ADSL (home500) and have had it for around 6 months now.

I shall start from the beginning to give you an overall idea of the service I have received.

BAD points

1. The engineer didn’t turn up the first time.
  2. I didn’t even get a phone call from the customer service/engineer team to tell me no one was coming.
  3. The first 2 months I had ADSL I had absolute SHITE service. I got extremely unstable pings (form 30-600) I got VERY, VERY bad packet loss and varying download speeds (3kbs-60kbs).
  4. BT have recently reduced the cost from £39.99 to £29.99 I am still being billed at £39.99.

GOOD points

1. I complained about the engineer not showing and also about not being informed about him not coming so I got the installation for free (it cost £75.00 at the time).
  2. I complained about unstable pings, packet loss, download speeds etc. and I was informed that BT was currently in the process of upgrading their home gateways and would get to mine sooner or later. Once they had updated my home gateway I received on average 30-50 pings, 50-60K downloads, damn fast browsing, and very little if ANY packet loss :slight_smile:

All in all I would say that the ADSL service BT is providing at the moment is truly excellent and I would recommend it highly. The only real negative point at the moment is that their customer service sucks a bit after all I am still being billed at the incorrect amount. Having said that they told me they would refund the £10.00 difference to my credit card next month…we shall see :slight_smile:

Spunky

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]

You can get it for partially free.
Buy a domain somewhere (the only costs , about $ 15 per year or so)
make it redirect to a subdomain
register that subdomain at www.dnsalias.org
run a “update dns alias” tool (see website) along with your webserver. [/B]

Thx for the info Mr B. I have started using a similar service provided by DNS2GO @ http://dns2go.deerfield.com/

The “basic” service which offers HTTP/FTP functionality is free. Now, that’s the sort of pricing I can get along with :slight_smile:

OLDY