BSOD's since Windows updated yesterday? Try uninstalling KB2670838

Microsoft introduced update KB2670838 yesterday.

It seems there are a lot of problems with this update. It usually generates Blue Screens of Death in Internet Explorer. The screendump may show problems with the Intel Graphics Driver (igdxxxx.sys)

If you happen to have such an issue, try uninstalling KB2670838 and try again.

Is that on all Window$ Os.

It’s confirmed on 7 and 8 on HP Laptops so far.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2679119]It’s confirmed on 7 and 8 on HP Laptops so far.[/QUOTE]

Crude and I have HP laptops so which one???

Thanks for the heads up.
Windows Update didn’t find this update on my Vista OS .
It did on my W7 e machines laptop. I just hid the update for now.

Yesterday I looked at the description for this update and thought it sounded like something that might cause incompatibility problems, so I’d better wait before installing it… a wise choice it would seem!

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2679092]Microsoft introduced update KB2670838 yesterday.

It seems there are a lot of problems with this update. It usually generates Blue Screens of Death in Internet Explorer. The screendump may show problems with the Intel Graphics Driver (igdxxxx.sys)

If you happen to have such an issue, try uninstalling KB2670838 and try again.[/QUOTE]

I installed this update on 2/26/2013. So far no problems yet. I’ll wait and see. On an HP laptop with win 7. Thanks for the information.

Mr. Bill

that update has been running on my desktop for two days, no issues
yet… it seems it actually fixed a minor bug I had

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2679123]Crude and I have HP laptops so which one???[/QUOTE]
I have researched it a bit further:

The update itself is a pre-requisite for the upcoming Internet Explorer 10. IE 10 will be forced towards you sometime in the next month.

The update causes some trouble on HP Professional I3 and I5 laptops with IE9 and IE plugins. Around the internet there were also reports on both Windows 7 and 8 crashing, but i doubt Windows 8 has any problems, since it already has IE10.

It may show plenty of BSODs on HP Intel I3 machines where people use IE9 and plugins for CRM applications. Solution: Uninstall the update.

It shows no BSODs on HP Intel I5 machines, but your IE9 plugin may fail to render several objects (like text in buttons). Solution 1) : Go to intel.com and have it find out if there are new drivers for your Intel VGA and Chipset. (igdxxx.sys is the Intel Graphic card Driver) Solution 2): Uninstall the update.

Thank you Mr. B.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2679092]Microsoft introduced update KB2670838 yesterday.

If you happen to have such an issue, try uninstalling KB2670838 and try again.[/QUOTE]

I had this BSOD problem for a week until a week ago and tried various solutions from various sites, nothing worked - and many purported solutions were of the nature “buy our driver test software”. I found this site and Mr Belvedere, quite simply, solved the problem. I waited a week before commenting here - to be sure solution stayed as a good solution - and it is the case. Next time i have such problems, I will be coming here first, so thanks Mr B. (and i have nothing to do with this site or Mr B).

Interestingly since then - I see many sites with this solution, but this one was the first one I encountered

[QUOTE=primaryuser;2681116]I had this BSOD problem for a week until a week ago and tried various solutions from various sites, nothing worked - and many purported solutions were of the nature “buy our driver test software”. I found this site and Mr Belvedere, quite simply, solved the problem. I waited a week before commenting here - to be sure solution stayed as a good solution - and it is the case. Next time i have such problems, I will be coming here first, so thanks Mr B. (and i have nothing to do with this site or Mr B).[/quote] You’re most welcome. There are a lot of awesome people around here who would be happy to welcome another person.

Interestingly since then - I see many sites with this solution, but this one was the first one I encountered
Part of my job is to make sure our customers can keep on working. In the event of a (massive) malfunctioning systems our team responds very very fast. We quickly found out this annoying update was the cause of all trouble. After everything went back to normal we took some time to investigate, but first priority was getting everybody able to do their business.

I got IE10 installed on 4 laptops and desktop and no BSOD so far? That inlcude Vostro 1400, Dell 1525? I think, DV5, Gateway NV52, Gateway P-6860FX and they run fine…all have Windows7x64Ult Sp1…

It seems to affect AMD/ATI video chips, the 6000 and 7000 series.

Perhaps uninstalling ancient Video drivers packaged by the laptop manufacturers, and using reference drivers could help?

I don’t think I’ve used bundled/specific video drivers for 10 years.
Reference drivers all the way :wink:

Goes the same for network card drivers & storage/sata/ide drivers.

Often the motherboard manufacturers release 1, maybe 2 updates and then ditch support … while the actual chip/controller vendor keeps development going for many years, or even has unified drivers which are backwards compatible with every chip/controller they’ve ever released.

[QUOTE=debro;2681962]It seems to affect AMD/ATI video chips, the 6000 and 7000 series.[/QUOTE] Yup, got me a 7400M in a laptop that’s messing up. Even with the lasted 12.9 beta driver it still worthless. Now i have the “error” that the vga driver will get unstable after each and every reboot. :a

I haven’t installed this update .
I did try to install IE10 on my Windows 7 laptop .
No BSOD’s but The IE10 wondow comes up & just freezes.
I have to “End Task” with Task Manager.
My solution was just to uninstall IE10.
IE9 seems to work fine.
So I will just wait & try again later . Maybe.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2682315]Yup, got me a 7400M in a laptop that’s messing up. Even with the lasted 12.9 beta driver it still worthless. Now i have the “error” that the vga driver will get unstable after each and every reboot. :a[/QUOTE]
13.1 drivers also unstable. :a