BSOD with Lite-On DVD writer

vbimport

I bought my current PC in 2006. Already when I first put it together I had problems with BSOD’s. The BSODs always happened when reading from my Lite-On SHW-160P6S DVD-writer. Thinking that I might have a faulty drive, I went back to the store and got another one, but the BSODs were still there. I then put my old (and noisy) Lite-On SOWH-1653S DVD-writer in and the problems disappeared. Not a single BSOD in the 2½ years that have passed.

However, now my 6 year old Lite-On SOWH-1653S seems to have given in. When I try to burn a DVD I get a power calibration error from Nero. So I was thinking of replacing it, but fearing the BSOD problem.

For the sake of it, I tried installing the Lite-On SHW-160P6S drive again and I immediately got a BSOD.

Basically, all I want is a functional DVD-writer and I’d appreciate any help in getting one. I’d buy a new one in a second if I knew that it would work, but I’d hate to buy a new one only to get more BSOD’s. I once read that there was some issues with some Nvidia drivers, could this be it?

My PC specs: Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939 motherboard with Nvidia Nforce 3 chipset. AMD X2 4200 CPU. 2 GB Corsair RAM. 2 Seagate Barracuda 300 GB hard drives. Corsair 520W power supply.

[QUOTE=BlueSwan;2100745]I bought my current PC in 2006. Already when I first put it together I had problems with BSOD’s. The BSODs always happened when reading from my Lite-On SHW-160P6S DVD-writer. Thinking that I might have a faulty drive, I went back to the store and got another one, but the BSODs were still there. I then put my old (and noisy) Lite-On SOWH-1653S DVD-writer in and the problems disappeared. Not a single BSOD in the 2½ years that have passed.

However, now my 6 year old Lite-On SOWH-1653S seems to have given in. When I try to burn a DVD I get a power calibration error from Nero. So I was thinking of replacing it, but fearing the BSOD problem.

For the sake of it, I tried installing the Lite-On SHW-160P6S drive again and I immediately got a BSOD.

Basically, all I want is a functional DVD-writer and I’d appreciate any help in getting one. I’d buy a new one in a second if I knew that it would work, but I’d hate to buy a new one only to get more BSOD’s. I once read that there was some issues with some Nvidia drivers, could this be it?

My PC specs: Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939 motherboard with Nvidia Nforce 3 chipset. AMD X2 4200 CPU. 2 GB Corsair RAM. 2 Seagate Barracuda 300 GB hard drives. Corsair 520W power supply.[/QUOTE]

What kinda O/S are you using? Have you tried that drive in another computer??? Also did you contact Liteon as to the nature of your problem?? Nvidia drivers have nothing to do with DVD drives…they are for Nvidia chipset or video card…maybe you you should look at make sure you have the right chipset drivers and video card drivers…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2100775]Nvidia drivers have nothing to do with DVD drives…they are for Nvidia chipset or video card…[/QUOTE]

If the board has an nVidia chipset, then drivers can have an effect on DVD drives, as the driver set may include IDE drivers. :wink:

However, if other LiteOn drives worked fine then I’m stumped.

Just for the sake of eliminating them from the equation, you could try uninstalling the IDE portion of the nVidia driver set (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs), and tryin Windows’ own IDE drivers.

Yeah, the strange thing is that my OLD Lite-On drive worked perfectly in my NEW computer and my NEW Lite-On drive worked perfectly in my OLD computer. That’s why I didn’t bother to “properly” resolve the problem two years ago. If the old Lite-On drive wasn’t failing on me now, I would just continue with things the way they are.

My OS is Windows XP SP2.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2100782]Just for the sake of eliminating them from the equation, you could try uninstalling the IDE portion of the nVidia driver set (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs), and tryin Windows’ own IDE drivers.[/QUOTE]
If I try that I get four options for driver removal:

Nvidia Display Driver
Nvidia Ethernet driver components
Nvidia GART driver
Nvidia nforce PCI system management driver

I don’t see any IDE drivers??

OK, I’m just gonna go out and buy a new DVDR and see if it works.

Just one question: Currently I use PATA hard drives and the DVDR is also PATA. However, my motherboard supports SATA. So should the DVDR that I buy be SATA or PATA?

I’m thinking that with a SATA DVDR I’d at least be trying something different. However, I’m not sure if using both PATA and SATA will cause some problems??

Another question: Are there any DVDR’s around know to be “issue-free”?

As far as I can tell, I do not have the nvidia IDE drivers installed. So I’m just completely in the dark as to what could cause this problem.

There must be SOME difference between the two Lite-On models. Both drives work on my old computer, only the old drive work(ed) on my new computer.

[QUOTE=BlueSwan;2101233]OK, I’m just gonna go out and buy a new DVDR and see if it works.

Just one question: Currently I use PATA hard drives and the DVDR is also PATA. However, my motherboard supports SATA. So should the DVDR that I buy be SATA or PATA?

I’m thinking that with a SATA DVDR I’d at least be trying something different. However, I’m not sure if using both PATA and SATA will cause some problems??

Another question: Are there any DVDR’s around know to be “issue-free”?[/QUOTE]

I personally would go with Sata hard drives and Pata optical drives I personally believe this is the best setup

Check the jumpers on the back of the drive?

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;2101333]I personally would go with Sata hard drives and Pata optical drives I personally believe this is the best setup[/QUOTE]
Hmmmm…earlier today I ordered a Pioneer 215 SATA DVDR. I figured that I might as well try something that wasn’t Lite-On and that wasn’t PATA. We’ll see if it works or not. At this point I’m not concerned about getting stellar results - more about getting something that works without BSODS.

Regarding the jumper settings, I tried both slave and cable select with similar results. I didn’t try master, as I need my two hard drives to be masters. I suppose it would have been interesting to test if it would work as a master - maybe some other day. Now I’ll first try the Pioneer drive, which should arrive in the mail tomorrow or thursday.

Unfortunately not all chipsets work correctly with SATA optical drives, and I’d have chosen a PATA model. Hopefully the Pioneer 215 will work with yours, but don’t be surprised if problems are encountered.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2101953]Unfortunately not all chipsets work correctly with SATA optical drives, and I’d have chosen a PATA model. Hopefully the Pioneer 215 will work with yours, but don’t be surprised if problems are encountered.[/QUOTE]

Problems with PC’s never surprise me! :cool:

Anyway, I just received the Pioneer drive. Will be testing it tomorrow. I’ll let you know if it works.

OK, I have started testing the drive and so far things are NOT going well.

I plugged the Pioneer drive into my motherboards SATA0_SII port. Result: The computer hangs on startup at “Verifying DMI pool data”.

I then unplugged the Pioneer, started up windows and hot-plugged the Pioneer into the same SATA0_SII port. This worked fine! I tried copying files from a DVD to the computer and I burned a DVD. Worked like a charm, so I’m happy, right?

No. As soon as I restart the computer it’s back to “verifying DMI pool data”. Apparently the drive will only work on my computer if I hotplug it AFTER I have started up Windows.

I’d be extremely grateful if someone could help me out with this weird issue.

Go into bios and make sure that raid is turned off and SataIDE is on.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2102148]Go into bios and make sure that raid is turned off and SataIDE is on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I already did that. The Bios doesn’t seem to recognise the drive, while Windows does recognize the drive (if I let Windows start up without the drive plugged in). Very strange.

Hi,

Nforce3 Sata controllers aren’t known to support optical drives well.

If you want to keep that drive, I’d suggest installing a PCI Sata controller card with Silicon Image chipset. This card has good compatibility with optical drives provided the non-Raid Bios is applied.

Michael

One more thing you might try is update SATA drivers for the mobo. If that doesn’t help, you might consider exchange for PATA model or get PCI SATA adapter as suggested in post #16.

I’ve probably seen a dozen or more posts where folks are having this kind of problem with SATA burners. You’d think the manufacturers would include this info in system requirements or something, but I’ve not seen that yet.

Problem partly solved: I moved the Pioneer to the SATA0_SB port on the Gigabyte board. This port was hard to access due to its placement on the motherboard, so I hadn’t tried that one before. But lo and behold, it appears to work. The drive is recognized and I’ve successfully burnt a DVD and copoed files from a DVD. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’ll continue to work.

Thanks to all who did their best to help. :slight_smile: