BSOD! (not ram related)

vbimport

Ok, so I keep getting BSOD’s. I leave my PC on and 12-30 hours later I get BSOD’D. I thought it was the ram, so I did a test and it was fine.

What shall I do now?

I’ve only ever caught it BSOD’ing once, and it didn’t give an error message, it just said “windows has shut down due to an unexpected error” or something on the lines of that.

I already disabled automatic restart after system failure, but it restarted still within milliseconds for some strange reason…

Thanks in advance.

Did you install some new hardware recently? A PCI card or a new graphic card?

Excluding RAM, BOSD can be caused by a faulty driver. Did you overclock your board? Try to reset everything at factory default and see if this solve :slight_smile:

Check also hard disk for bad sectors.

Havn’t installed any new hardware, I did once overclock it when I was testing some program that came installed with my motherboard when I first got it and I turned it up then it bsod’d but that was a couple of months ago and it changed back to normal after reboot anyway lol, I will do a chkdsk now. Thanks :smiley:

Unfortunately, it’s quite tricky diagnosing what causes intermittent BSODing, as they can be caused by faulty hardware (failing graphics card, PSU, HDD, etc.), malware, device driver, etc.

First thing worth checking is a scan for malware, e.g. using Malware Bytes. This way you can rule this out.

If the BSOD’ing only started happening recently, try running System Restore to a date before you first started experiencing the BSOD. When you do this, do not allow Windows or any software to auto-update for the first day. If the PC remains stable, then apply the updates one by one (or 4 updates at a time if many) and seeing how stable the PC remains each day until you find the culprit. If the PC still BSOD’s after a system restore, but before applying any windows/software updates, then it’s very likely a hardware problem (e.g. PSU, motherboard, etc.)

Another option is to try the Windows Debugging tools (guide). This is quite a technical task, but it helps identify a faulty device driver if it is a driver causing the issue. Basically, if you see the same .sys file showing up for several crash dump analysis, then do a Google on the file to see what driver is the culprit. I’ve seen cases of a faulty network driver, ISDN driver, etc. triggering the BSODs where changing to a newer or older driver solved the issue.

If you are able to get by without using the PC for a few days, try creating a BartPE or VistaPE CD and boot it and open Notepad. Leave the PC idle for few days to see if this BSODs, i.e. where you see it back at the start screen without Notepad open. If this live OS BSOD’s or unexpectedly reboots, then you’ve a hardware problem.

[QUOTE=matty4796;2606213]Ok, so I keep getting BSOD’s. I leave my PC on and 12-30 hours later I get BSOD’D. I thought it was the ram, so I did a test and it was fine. [/QUOTE]What test did you do, and how long did you run it?
Memtest86for example should be run at least over night, preferably longer if possible.

Michael

I did it until it was 100% I guess i’ll do it overnight then ;). Thanks seán, i’ll try those things mentioned.

Did the memory test for 10 hours, passed 8 times, no problems. Had another BSOD recently, and this time I got to see it in person, it said “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL”

So then I downloaded BlueScreenViewer, where I am able to see all the blue screens i’ve had, here is a picture of latest one, and the oldest one:

Latest: http://puu.sh/757W
Oldest: http://puu.sh/7583

What shall I do? I’ve seen other people tell people like me exactly what driver or software is causing the problem from looking at bluescreen info on this program I have. Thanks guys.

You don’t have musicmatch jukebox installed do you? If so get rid of it that’s your problem. BSOD’s are caused by bad ram or ram being incorrectly being accessed.

You don’t mention your system specs.
It doesn’t happen to be a Sandy Bridge system by any chance?

No, never heard of music match box.
I don’t know what a sandy bridge is, but it doesn’t ring any bells.

My specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom 9650
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Kit CL5 1.8v
Motherboard: Asrock n68c-s ucc

don’t know anything else =\

[QUOTE=matty4796;2607772]No, never heard of music match box.
I don’t know what a sandy bridge is, but it doesn’t ring any bells.

My specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom 9650
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Kit CL5 1.8v
Motherboard: Asrock n68c-s ucc

don’t know anything else =[/QUOTE]

Next what O/S and service pack and any change in software or what software do you have installed?

[QUOTE=matty4796;2607772]
Motherboard: Asrock n68c-s ucc[/quote]
Not really the most stable board ever.

don’t know anything else =
Lots of dust on the fans/heatsinks?

IRQ less or equal is usually writing errors due to communication errors between overheated chips.

If you have another harddisk drive you could do a clean install of Windows on that one and see if the problem also hops along on this brand new operating system.