BSoD, cant use Safe Mode,

vbimport

Please help, I’ve looked at other questions but couldn’t find an asnwer for this one. BSoD, dell 2400 dimension, xp home edition, chkdsk /p /r ok, oem resource disc diag ok.
cant use safe mode though.

BSoD stop:0x0000007E (0XC000005,OXF84377C0, OXF88CF52C, OXF88CF228.

ATAPI.SYS - ADDRESS F84377C0 BASE AT F8421000 DATESTAMPED.4802539D.

I need to recover some data from hard drive , i have the oem repair disc, if i repair and new replace XP using this disc will I still have my files and folders?

Please advise
CJ ,

[QUOTE=cjcj;2465572]

I need to recover some data from hard drive , i have the oem repair disc, if i repair and new replace XP using this disc will I still have my files and folders?

Please advise
CJ ,[/QUOTE]

It depends on what your repair disk actually does. If it just repairs the windows installation, then you won’t lose any data. If it formats and reinstalls windows, then you will lose all of your data. What options do you have when you boot from the repair disk?

I don’t think a new replace of XP will keep the old files.
I hope someone else will give more answers.
You need to read about : How to use scannow to repair XP.
I think that would be your best hope to keep the old files.
It would seem that the ATAPI.SYS file has become corrupt.
If scannow doesn’t fix this for you then you may have to replace the file with a Linux disc outside of Windows.If you can get a good copy of this file.
For the future get a backup program like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image.
I have Acronis.It has saved me a couple of times .
It will restore the system to the way it was when it was made.
It doesn’t need Windows working like MS System Restore does.

As Whappo has stated it will if you choose the correct way.Be careful and read your options before clicking thru.

Thanks for the quick reponses.
The options are:
1 to set up XP now press enter
2 to repair an exisitng XP installation press R
3 quit

if 1 is pressed the options are:
1 to repair selected windows XP installation enter (implies data will not be lost)!!!
2 to continue inclduing installing a fresh copy without repair

Nervous about using 1 just in case I loose imporatant files (I know I should have backed up recently) in the meatime I’ll try the scannow link,
thx for now
cj
cj

After pressing 1 it will ask if you want to install on the existing window’s installation or do a new install. It will suggest you do not install on the existing installation, do it anyway if you want to save your data.

If you are still getting the BSOD after attempting repair.
Try this :
Unplug the cable/cables from your CD/DVD drive/drives.
Reboot & see if you get the BSOD or can boot into safe mode.
If you still can’t uninstall any Virtual Drives.