BSLB with DVD+R = worse than BSHB with DVD-R

Any ideas why this should happen?

BSHB DVD-R (Verbatim) burnt at 16X

BSLB DVD+R (Verbatim) burnt at 16X

ExpertTech:

PIE: That’s typical burns on both, ie MCC03RG20 will show higher PIEs compare to MCC004.

PIF: There is a known syndrome on DVD+R burn @16x --will show high PIF spikes around 2.5-4.0 GB. On the other hand, DVD-R @16x does not show these high PIF spikes.

Thanks, you’re the man :slight_smile:

if u use MCC03RG20 media, expect low quality scores.
and the 16x thing mentioned above goes away if u burn @ 12x

mcc004 burns excellent at 12x :iagree:

Thanks guys! I’ll try burning at 12x.

Also, scan at 8x instead of maximum. That is the standard here.

Noted :slight_smile:

this is a most informative thread !

so a recap as i’m a bit slow

dvd-r @ 16 = ok

dvd+r @ 16 = spikes so use 12@ instead

almost reads like a prog !

Q) So no need to drop dvd-r to @12 instead of @16
is the only point left open i guess

thanks you clever chaps !

May I also suggest that if you are going for Verbatim +R x16 MCC 004, you look out for stuff made in Taiwan, not India. At present, in the UK, all the silver top I have had has come from India, and all the white top from Taiwan, though I don’t know whether this is a general rule. The QSuite TE / FE scans of the Indian stuff suggest a maximum burn speed of x4-8, x8-12 for the Taiwan stuff!

I tend to burn at x12, cos my ageing Athlon 1200 can’t keep up with x16 burns. My feeling is that it is better to do the SB learn burns at x12 rather than full speed, then burn at x12 SB On, WOPC On.

I won’t bore you with lots of graphs, but using PIE avg/PIE max/POE avg/POE max/QS, my last 3 Indian MCC 004’s were:

0.77/7/0.04/6/97
0.78/8/0.03/7/96
0.79/13/0.03/6/97

and my last 3 Taiwanese MCC 004’s were:

1.13/6/0.02/6/97
1.12/8/0.01/3/99
1.16/7/0.00/2/99

Why one should have consistently higher PIE’s and the other consistently higher POE’s, I don’t know. I would have thought the 2 would have gone hand in hand.

How to know if my MCC is from Taiwan or India?

Mine says MIT on the cake box. OC Freak posted some really good info about how the serial numbers on the disc can tell you who manufactures it. Looked for the post but couldn’t find it.

look at the scanning speed line on the graph. it clearly shows 8x. he’ll get the exact same graph either way.

OT: is the MCC004 indian-made Verbatim only sold in the UK? i’ve never seen it before.

could someone comment on my previous entry as i think i have the jist
but would like clarification

i’m thinking verb & t&y of course + tdk scratchproof when i can get some

or see below :-

" so a recap as i’m a bit slow

dvd-r @ 16 = ok

dvd+r @ 16 = spikes so use 12@ instead

almost reads like a prog !

Q) So no need to drop dvd-r to @12 instead of @16
is the only point left open i guess "

thanks

Burn all @ 12X - BenQ seems to burn media better at 12X than 16X from what I read thus far.

OT: is the MCC004 indian-made Verbatim only sold in the UK? i’ve never seen it before.

OT:
whole europe is full of MBI-made Verbatims. you can compare indian and taiwanese by smelling, indian = :Z

Seems I may have been a bit premature promoting MIT MCC 004 over MII MCC 004. The MIT stuff was from packs of 10 cased, based on which I picked up a couple of spindles. Frankly, it is pretty much the same as the MII stuff! Whether this is just batch variation or whether there is some actual difference in manufacturing between spindle and cased blanks I don’t know.

After a dozen or so of each type, BSLB, SB On, WOPC On, this is the best I can come up with. Note that SB decided on x8 for MII.

Verbatim +R x16 Silver Top Spindle Made In India

Verbatim +R x16 White Top Spindle Made In Taiwan

Verbatim +R x16 White Top Cased Made In Taiwan

Just answered my own question. Did some research at CDFreaks, looked at the inner ring serials, found that the cased discs were manufactured by CMC, and the spindle discs were manufactured by Prodisc. Now can anyone tell me whether they have had any spindles of Verbatim +R x16 MIT CMC or cased Prodisc, i.e. is it pot luck or is there some consistency.

Quoting Dalen Quaice, “You can tell by the serial number around the stacking ring what discs you have. If they have a + in the serial number they are Prodisc. If they are a number like PAHA11JDO5235736 they are CMC”.