Brothers Grimm

Here’s another Ripguarded Title. Posting the log incase anyone is having trouble backing it up.

Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 5.6.3.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: THE_BROTHERS_GR
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed wrong DVD structure!
Found & removed Macrovision RipGuard protection!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 2 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Hello, Brothers is making ME GRIMM.
I have DVDD & DVD Shrink DVD FabD.
Nothing works. If I use VOB Blank how do I know which sectorsto block out.
Any help would be great.

Thanx in advance

Hello, DVDFAB/Shrink worked when I re authored - movie only.Sorry to make everybody read that first message . Just new to all of this.

glad it worked…just wanted to make sure you knew you were in the anydvd forum though so any advice from here would have been to use anydvd, and I can confirm that it works like a charm on this movie!

2nd that…Backed up Bros Grimm successfully with AnyDVD/CloneDVD combo. I was also able to backup ‘The Great Raid’ which also had Ripguard protection on it using AnyDVD/CloneDVD.

using anydvd 5631 and dvdshrink 3.2
I got an error message I never saw before
“virtual memory out of memory program will shut down to increase VM”
I got this 3 times I increased VM from 1gb to 2gb to 3gb
I have a P4 650 with 1 gb of hardware ram on XP SP2, so running out of memory is not probable in addition I turn off all other programs anyway
this happened at the exact same spot at 24% while ripping whole disk when girl looks up at tower, the ripping would actually freeze at this point a few seconds before the error message

I finally used vobBlanker with any dvd
It worked but at least 4 times the cursor turned into an hourglass and I was afraid it would fail also, but it did complete the rip. It was agonizing for my harddrive

Out of curiosity I used dvd Shrink to rip the VOB-B transfer and this time dvdshrink had no problem

I am surprised as I had no problems with anydvd and dvd-shrink on ripguard prior to this
in addition DVD-s had no problem analysing the disk ie opening it

VOBblanker with AnyDVD in background, Shrink to process Decrypter to burn. This process seems to work with all rip guard DVD’s. If I don’t VOB I get the dreaded “out of memory” message from shrink. Is it just me or is rip guard getting the best of AnyDVD?

num1cboysfn

@num1cboysfn
so you have also gotten the same same error
I thought I was losing it

I’ve discussed this several times before in the forum. DVD Shrink and Nero Recode have problems with ripguard unless the dvd structure is remapped. FixVTS or Vob Blanker will both handle that for you. DVD Fab Decrypter also seems to update their program to keep on top of this situation. A request to Slysoft has been made in this forum, although I don’t think officially in a support email, to add a similar feature to AnyDVD with an on/off toggle so that users of AnyDVD and DVD Shrink/Recode won’t have to go through the pain of having to use Vob Blanker or FixVTS to deal with this problem. This only seems to happen on ripguard titles so far…

based on previous posts about this problem it seems as though anydvd is doing it’s job, and dvdshrink is the one that can’t handle the structure of the disc (nero recode also has this problem)

there are fixes for it, and my guess is with the next update anydvd will also be a fix for this…

it’s not anydvd’s problem, but they tend to fix things like that anyway. what more can you ask for haha.

it should be no means be a priority for them though…fixing other peoples’ software I’m sure is the last thing they want to have to worry about! either way I have a feeling we’ll see this sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, follow SamuriHL’s suggestion and use FixVTS or VOBBlanker if you want to process the files with dvdshrink.

Why make things so difficult? Just use CloneDVD with AnyDVD and quit spending so much time archiving your movies.

No. Works perfectly with CloneDVD.

that movie wouldnt even register with anydvd and intervideo copy for me… it froze intervideo solid…

however, it did work with dvdxcopy with anydvd running in the background.

Have you considered uninstalling DVD X Copy? You are aware that it utterly f*cks your system, right?

I had no problems R-1 WS using CloneDVD2 2.8.5.1 and old AnyDVD 5.5.1.1. I haven’t upgraded yet :o but it worked.

DVD Shrink is no longer updated, so, we can’t expect them to fix this bug as it only occurred recently with the advent of ripguard. Recode, otoh, SHOULD be fixed by Nero but they’ve shown nothing but apathy towards that product. I maintain that the addition of Recode to the Nero suite was nothing more than a “checkbox” item. Slysoft should absolutely NOT be fixing bugs by doing doing workarounds in AnyDVD, but, the reason they do so is very simple…to reduce their support calls. I don’t blame them. They have a history of “fixing” things for other products. Such generosity is rare in the industry and should be commended.

That being said, I would also have to recommend CloneDVD as it simply works. Why mess around with a product that’s not supported in any way and requires work arounds just to get it to function correctly? Seems counter intuitive to me…

Is that not the sign of truly brilliant, top notch products? :slight_smile:

Actually this has happened several times over the past year or so, always associated with a new version of a particular protection, either Arccos or Ripguard. Essentially there’s SOMETHING about the structure that DVD Shrink can’t handle, even after AnyDVD is done with removing the protection. Note that there are a few cases in which this happens that are NOT related to Arccos or Puppetlock or anything, so it’s clearly a glitch in DVD Shrink. Other programs such as VOB Blanker, CloneDVD, or even the ancient and horrid DVD X Copy seem to have no problem with these structures.

But DVD Shrink has, as noted… not been updated in FOREVER.

Recode, otoh, SHOULD be fixed by Nero but they’ve shown nothing but apathy towards that product. I maintain that the addition of Recode to the Nero suite was nothing more than a “checkbox” item.

Actually the issue is that there’s only ONE PERSON working on Recode… the guy who wrote DVD Shrink. Clearly he just hasn’t gotten around to fixing this particular egregious bug yet. :wink:

Slysoft should absolutely NOT be fixing bugs by doing doing workarounds in AnyDVD, but, the reason they do so is very simple…to reduce their support calls. I don’t blame them. They have a history of “fixing” things for other products. Such generosity is rare in the industry and should be commended.

Yup. Well, it’s partly altruistic… and partly as you said to reduce their call volume!

That being said, I would also have to recommend CloneDVD as it simply works. Why mess around with a product that’s not supported in any way and requires work arounds just to get it to function correctly? Seems counter intuitive to me…

Well, actually, many of us aren’t all that enamoured of CloneDVD. It lacks a lot of flexibility (by design) that DVD Shrink includes. True, one can get that flexibility back by running other apps… but…

Let me further point out that 99.99% of the problems between AnyDVD and DVD Shrink can be avoided by copying the files to the hard disk first. Not entirely sure why this is, but I’m guessing that there’s a glitch or two in DVD Shrink’s “disc reading” algorithm, at least when the AnyDVD filter driver is in play - but potentially at other times too.

I’ve never been a big fan of “on the fly” transcoding anyway. Makes your DVD drive work too hard, is awful slow… ick.

Dvd Decrypter and shrink worked fine for me on all the new movies.

Well, Nero the company hasn’t been very “helpful” when people have reported these kinds of bugs in the past. Their attitude seems to be “too bad”. Not very responsive if you ask me. Yes, it’s one guy working on it, but, that’s not a way to win over customers.

And that’s perfectly fine. I recommend CloneDVD due to its ease of use and flexibility in dealing with “troubled” discs. However, if you’re willing to go through the steps necessary to continue using DVD Shrink or Recode, then by all means. No one program is going to meet everyone’s needs. The great thing about AnyDVD, though, is that it works with everything. Gotta love that.