Broken Vizio VX37L LCD TV

vbimport

My first Vizio and my first TV to die in less than a year and a half of use.

I have a B&W Zenith from 40 years ago, a Sony Trinitron from 20 years ago, and many other monitors and TVs I have used over the years including a 15yo Mitsubishi rear projection TV. I have never had a TV die nor have I had one die so soon. I am no happy about my $600 purchase. It is my bedroom TV, only used for about 1-2 hours of viewing before going to sleep.

Since I am handy at most things, I popped the back open. Seems there isn’t much in the way of logic on it. A power supply, another board that looks like the “guts”, and some smaller boards that seem to interface with the LCD panel. I am guessing it is the PS or the logic board but neither has any suspicious burned parts or anything else that looks suspicious.

I should state that the TV worked fine night before last when it was turned off like normal. When I went to turn it on last night, it started to turn on but never came on. I didn’t hear a “pop” others have reported. Initially it acted completely dead. Then I power cycled it and the light came on showing the TV was on (without turning it on) and the “on” light (the word VIZIO in front) stayed on regardless of trying to turn it on or off.

The light being on doesn’t mean the PS is good as I am guessing it puts out different voltages, such as for the light, vs. the logic, vs. the panel.

I called a couple shops in the area and they are guessing it would be around $350 to repair it. If I knew which part I needed, I could swap the part easily enough but don’t know the cost of the part.

I am dubious about dumping $350 into a TV that seems to be made rather poorly.

One shop made a point of saying they get a LOT of Vizios in for repair.

Consumer Reports rates the frequency of repair in the second category with Sanyo, Sharp, and Samsung, worse in repair quality compared to JVC, Sony, Sylvania, and Panasonic, but way ahead of brands lower in the list such as Westinghouse and Mitsubish at the bottom of the frequency of repair rankings, although my Mitsubishi has been fine.

If I can repair it for a cheap enough price, I would give it a try, otherwise I would sell it for parts.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Lew

Hey Lew,

Did you ever get you problem fixed or figure out what was wrong with it?

Camdon

[QUOTE=vividere;2476289]My first Vizio and my first TV to die in less than a year and a half of use.

I have a B&W Zenith from 40 years ago, a Sony Trinitron from 20 years ago, and many other monitors and TVs I have used over the years including a 15yo Mitsubishi rear projection TV. I have never had a TV die nor have I had one die so soon. I am no happy about my $600 purchase. It is my bedroom TV, only used for about 1-2 hours of viewing before going to sleep.

Since I am handy at most things, I popped the back open. Seems there isn’t much in the way of logic on it. A power supply, another board that looks like the “guts”, and some smaller boards that seem to interface with the LCD panel. I am guessing it is the PS or the logic board but neither has any suspicious burned parts or anything else that looks suspicious.

I should state that the TV worked fine night before last when it was turned off like normal. When I went to turn it on last night, it started to turn on but never came on. I didn’t hear a “pop” others have reported. Initially it acted completely dead. Then I power cycled it and the light came on showing the TV was on (without turning it on) and the “on” light (the word VIZIO in front) stayed on regardless of trying to turn it on or off.

The light being on doesn’t mean the PS is good as I am guessing it puts out different voltages, such as for the light, vs. the logic, vs. the panel.

I called a couple shops in the area and they are guessing it would be around $350 to repair it. If I knew which part I needed, I could swap the part easily enough but don’t know the cost of the part.

I am dubious about dumping $350 into a TV that seems to be made rather poorly.

One shop made a point of saying they get a LOT of Vizios in for repair.

Consumer Reports rates the frequency of repair in the second category with Sanyo, Sharp, and Samsung, worse in repair quality compared to JVC, Sony, Sylvania, and Panasonic, but way ahead of brands lower in the list such as Westinghouse and Mitsubish at the bottom of the frequency of repair rankings, although my Mitsubishi has been fine.

If I can repair it for a cheap enough price, I would give it a try, otherwise I would sell it for parts.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Lew[/QUOTE]

Thanks for asking…there are two main boards, PS and logic. Neither looked burned and from experience in general with electronics, PS’s usually go first so I bought a PS, swapped it out, no change. Got a logic board, that was it, fixed. The two boards were under $200 which was less than the $350 I was quoted to fix it. I am left with a logic core and a PS to have on hand in case that is what goes the next time, or I can sell the PS.

Thank you for the info. I’m having the same problem with the exact Vizio 37 inch LCD tv. Did you take any pictures of where the logic board is in the tv, and where did you order the part from. I haven’t be able to look it up. I’d appreciate the info. I’ve been to a couple of tv repair shops and they are all trying to rip me off.