Broken Laptop

vbimport

When I turn on my laptop it flickers but then goes black everything is working but there is no picture. Now I have connected it to a external monitor but still no picture. What do I do!

Sounds like the video or mainboard died, could be time to send it in for service. Sound like the problem I had with my Acer 5730z they replaced both boards it was back 2 weeks later. If it will not POST very little you can do.

[QUOTE=jtracy55;2498796]When I turn on my laptop it flickers but then goes black everything is working but there is no picture. Now I have connected it to a external monitor but still no picture. What do I do![/QUOTE]

Dead LCD screen means replace laptop or very expensive LCD screen replacement you have to decide what is worth to you repair or buy new laptop. Plus just cause you can hookup external Monitor doesn’t mean that will go out eventually as well. But take it to a shop and see what they can tell you they might be able to replace the screen or not but at least you will know how much it will cost. And hooking a monitor to laptop is so :doh: not what you suppose to do anyway. That why it’s a laptop. But what you do is up to you.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2498857]Dead LCD screen means replace laptop or very expensive LCD screen replacement you have to decide what is worth to you repair or buy new laptop. Plus just cause you can hookup external Monitor doesn’t mean that will go out eventually as well. But take it to a shop and see what they can tell you they might be able to replace the screen or not but at least you will know how much it will cost. And hooking a monitor to laptop is so :doh: not what you suppose to do anyway. That why it’s a laptop. But what you do is up to you.[/QUOTE]

coolcolors, question? So hooking up a laptop to a monitor is not a good idea? Can you please tell me why?

Thanks
Mr. Bill :slight_smile:

I think he might have meant it’s not portable anymore hooking it up to a monitor? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a lappy.

[QUOTE=Bob;2498867]I think he might have meant it’s not portable anymore hooking it up to a monitor? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a lappy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bob

Mr.Bill :cool:

[QUOTE=Bob;2498867]I think he might have meant it’s not portable anymore hooking it up to a monitor? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a lappy.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is what I was trying to say but was at work so had to make it quick and didn’t get all said…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2498923]Yes, that is what I was trying to say but was at work so had to make it quick and didn’t get all said…[/QUOTE]

Thanks
Mr. Bill :clap:

Many people with large laptops 17" plus (desktop replacements) always use AC power and both a external monitor and speakers. My 16" Acer rairly moves from the desktop; and the display look great on a 22" monitor.

But back to your problem, the fact you get no video using VGA out makes me think the problem is not the LCD on the laptop but the video board or card. Besure you set the display functions to VGA out.

[QUOTE=jtracy55;2498796]When I turn on my laptop it flickers but then goes black everything is working but there is no picture. Now I have connected it to a external monitor but still no picture. What do I do![/QUOTE]

Sounds like a burned GPU, happens more and more with some nVidia GPUs. :frowning:
Defective by design…they are. Very sad.

I do know that a particular Asus laptop model had overheating GPU but I heard a Bios updated fixed the problem.