Broadcom Driver Issues

I have a Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter and a Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller in a Dell Inspiron 1520 Notebook running Windows Vista Home Premium. I recently had some problems with them and figuered I would remove them in device manager, reboot and let Vista reinstall the drivers. Easier said then done.

When vista tries to install the drivers it tells me it failed. When I check device manager, it recognizes both cards but has a yellow symbol with an exclamation mark next to them.

Since Vista fails to to install the drivers automatically I downloaded the drivers on another PC, and transferred them over to the notebook using an SD Card. I try to install the drivers but again the process fails.

To rule out this being hardware related, I have installed ubuntu as a temporary work around for lack of internet connection in vista. Everything has been smooth sailing in ubuntu.

Could any one offer some advice in getting my broadcom devices working in vista again? Thanks!

Contact Broadcomm and tell them to make vista drivers that is your only option. Otherwise you will have to go back to XP.

Well considering the devices have worked perfect in vista for nearly a year, I don’t really find vista bashing to be of any benefit.

have you tried doing a system restore, back to a time when you know that they worked. That will at least tell us if something has been updated or installed, which affected the drivers… I know that recently, I added a bluetooth adapter to my pc. It hosed up my internet connection completely. I could not get it back. I ended up uninstalling it and doing a system restore. All is right now…

Good advice, but I have system restore disabled.

The internet went out when trying to remove traces of Comodo firewall. This is when I uninstalled the Broadcom devices. I now have every single trace of Comodo off my system but obviously still facing issues.

May run a virus scan latter and see if there is something nasty lingering around.

I really appreciate the help!

I would be tempted to try putting the Broadcom drivers on a CD.
There should also be a Broadcom utility that you might want to grab.
Try the “add new hardware” routine and point Vista to the driver file on the CD.

[QUOTE=jflan;2152982]I would be tempted to try putting the Broadcom drivers on a CD.[/QUOTE]
Why a CD rather then an SD card?

There should also be a Broadcom utility that you might want to grab.

Glad you mentioned that. I forgot that I had run that utility and it did not benefit me in the least.

Try the “add new hardware” routine and point Vista to the driver file on the CD.

Well I did try that but from my hard drive, not a cd.

When I run the update driver function vista tells me i am running the most current driver there is.

[QUOTE=Xplorer4x4;2153011]Why a CD rather then an SD card?[/QUOTE]
Oh, greater chance for success.
I won’t be flashing BIOS through a flakey card reader anytime soon.

Glad you mentioned that. I forgot that I had run that utility and it did not benefit me in the least.

Some chipmakers utilities actually have better functionality than what Vista offers.
With some hardware it is the only choice.
Go with what works for you.

When I run the update driver function vista tells me i am running the most current driver there is.

You have to uninstall that driver and [B]force[/B] Vista to look at the CD.
If you can get the preferred driver on your HDD, skip the CD part.