British Telecommunications owns hyperlinks

I just posted the article British Telecommunications owns hyperlinks….

Brinta used our newssubmit to tell us about a rather ridiculous story (in my opinion that is) on BT owning the patent on hyperlinks and wanting people to pay for the use of this…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3295-British-Telecommunications-owns-hyperlinks___.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3295-British-Telecommunications-owns-hyperlinks___.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I remember reading about this claim a year or so ago. I ain’t too worried about it. It’s kinda funny actually. It’s a comical example of how these huge multinational corporations just don’t comprehend digital matters, even the very corporations inventing and selling digital techniques. The very notion of “intellectual property” and software patents is a clear signal that these multinats just don’t have a damn clue. Let them have their patent I say. HTTP and hyperlinks are atrociously archaic. It’s a testament to their fundamentally sound architecture that has allowed HTTP to survive this long while supporting new technologies but it’s beginning to be something of an obstacle. Web designers waste lots of time (and thus, money) trying to graft today’s technology onto an architecture of the 70’s. So let BT patent the past and the rest of us move onto the future. That’s my 2 cents anyhow. :7

I too remember hearing/reading about this some while ago… It’s nice to hear they’re still arguing about it :wink: Complete waste of money and time…

it would be funny if BT got their pattents and then something new was released and everyone dropped HTTP, HTML and hyperlinks the next day. i’d have to laugh at that.

Well, if the use of the XOR instruction to produce a blinking cursor can be patented (it really is!), then why shouldn’t hyperlinks? I think I will file a patent for the use of the three-character combination :slight_smile: as an emoticon… OOPS! Shouldn’t have said that–should simply have done it instead… Someone will now probably steal my idea from me :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: (This will be an expensive message once :slight_smile: gets patented! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I created the :0 :slight_smile: :7 Smiling text so where is my money? Hehehehheheehe

Good to see an Aussie newspaper on the job. go smh.com.au ! gamefreak, scan you own newpapers, leave the aussie ones to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

that’s the sydney morning herald huh? Herald Sun in Melbourne is way better

What they aren’t telling you about BT is that they are in severe debt…