British Telecommunications accused over music piracy

I just posted the article British Telecommunications accused over music piracy.

neepheid and savannah both let us know that The British Phonographic Industry has accused British Internet Service Provider BT (British Telecommunications) of not doing enough to stop illegal…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5568-British-Telecommunications-accused-over-music-piracy.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5568-British-Telecommunications-accused-over-music-piracy.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I guess for moneyhungry lawyers,limelight seeking politicians and executives it is all cut and dried. ie if you supply the software or the means to implement/use it then you are guilty of either committing or supporting piracy…ok if thats their yardstick, lets see them use it across a broader range of manufacturers/suppliers whos simple act of manufacturing/supplying leads to greater lawbreaking than breach of copywrite… the automotive industry, firearms manufacturers, chemical companies, and on and on… record producers…(yep, dickheads hear freaky words in a song and go out and kill people)… even microshit itself should be held accountable…I mean how many times (after the Xth crash) were you angry enough to go out and beat the snot outta someone or thing… What do they call their hypocracy…selective justice???.. (they wonder why the gap between upstairs and downstairs is growing wider)…:7

Pop music is the tool of Satan. It makes youngsters take drugs and break the law, therefore anyone in the music business is a criminal and helps finance terrorism. Shoot the lot of them!

The BPI are also taking cd-wow to court for selling CHEAP CD’s Are they fucking retarded or something cd-wow import from hong kong, totally legit, and have really good prices and service. But of course that’s not good enough, the record industry are determined to piss off every remaining customer they have. dickheads.

Hey, this is BT we’re talking about! They could buy the shitty UK music industry! Infact sounds like a bloody good plan to me. £10 a month to download whatever and as much as you like…stop releasing CDs altogether and just release MP3s on to the web to download for the tenner a month…I’d buy into that for a tenner!

here is an interesting thread off of slahdot.org concerning this topic and an extract taken from one of the posts: http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/03/03/16/231248.shtml?tid=95 Quote: “Music on the radio is free.” Music on the radio is free in the same way that over-the-air television is free. It’s advertiser-supported. This is a well-understood concept. “Where’s the warning on CD’s about what you can/cannot do with them?” Where’s the warning on books? And yet people understand the rules surrounding their use. “I’m sorry, but the ‘buy to try, sorry no refunds’ business model is not acceptable.” What do you think the radio is for? And before you even try, arguing that the music industry is flawed isn’t going to get you anywhere. The fact that a system is flawed doesn’t give you the moral right to ignore the laws related to that system. “How many people are downloading Mp3 versions of songs they already have or have lost over time?” If I were to lose a book, would I be justified in demanding that the publisher of that book send me another copy? Of course not. Nor would I be justified in breaking the law to download a digital copy of that book off the Internet. “What exactly is illegal about downloading the Mp3?” §106: Subject to sections 107 through 121, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to… reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords; §501: Anyone who violates any of the exclusive rights of the copyright owner as provided by sections 106 through 121 or of the author as provided in section 106A(a), or who imports copies or phonorecords into the United States in violation of section 602, is an infringer of the copyright or right of the author, as the case may be. That part. In other words, if you make a copy of a copyrighted song without express permission from the copyright owner, you have broken the law and can be subject to civil action. If the total dollar value of the songs you have illegally copied during a 180-day period is greater than $1,000, then you can be brought up on criminal charges as well. “Downloading a song from another computer is, incidentally, making a copy. So it’s illegal, and on a sufficient scale, criminal.” The RIAA thinks that having the Mp3 at all is illegal. The average user says “uh no, not if I already have the CD.” Unfortunately, the law’s not so clear on that. The law is, in fact, totally clear on that. If you buy a CD, then you can make copies of that CD for your own personal use. You cannot, however, make copies of somebody else’s CD, even if that other CD is identical to your own. For example, if I were to buy a CD and then scratch it to make it unusable, and then to download the contents of the CD from the Internet, I would be breaking the law. Making MP3’s or whatever from CD’s you own: fine. Downloading MP3’s or whatever that happen to correspond to songs on CD’s you own: not fine. The RIAA is guilty of not educating people properly. It’s not the RIAA’s responsibility to educate people. The only party responsible for educating you on matters of law is you. :8

“Making MP3’s or whatever from CD’s you own: fine. Downloading MP3’s or whatever that happen to correspond to songs on CD’s you own: not fine. The RIAA is guilty of not educating people properly. It’s not the RIAA’s responsibility to educate people. The only party responsible for educating you on matters of law is you.” Thanks but no thanks. Remember, just because a law exists, doesnt make it right. Also, it’s all in how you interpret the law, OJ got off for murder! You dont find someone’s blood all over the crime scene and then pronounce them innocent! Laws can be bent and I am proud to say I am one of the people bending them. Let their buisness model fail even if we are breaking the rules in order for it to happen. As Ive said before, Im sure you have gone past the speed limit in your life and not got caught, better turn yourself in! Die RIAA, die.

That it is illegal according to the law does not stop people doing it, or in fact trying to change the law. Look at the right to lifers, the legalise marijana groups, for instance why not create a lobby group for the common man.

What alumoniumfood has to realise here is that copywrite laws in other countries are not the exact model as used in usa ( australia-sony -modchip) Taiwan had no copywrite laws until beaten into submission by the US govt and in fact most free countries have had a faceful of american corporations AND american senators trying to enact INTERNAL american legistature GLOBALLY, this goes further than just the RIAA and MPIA…it appears that the only sovereignty and borders america respects is its own… All those that have had enough American fast food, TV ads, Reality TV and american domestic politics pushed in their face IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY…hands up !!!.. As a side whine here let me add that the american model of casual labour employed here has done more for unemployment than any depression ever did and the widening gap in employer/employee relations can be attributed to this model… While this rant may be OT…the point I’m trying to make is that I think us smaller less knowledgeable backwater nations would prefer to stumble around in our own version of independance…:7

alimoniumfood , have you forgotten who own the music buisness my friend?, Sony, Phillips etc…and what do they sell? Video recorders, DVD (mp£ enabled) player, recorable CD players…mmm are we not being a tad hypocritical here?

alimoniumfood did you get permission to post a quote from that article on slashdot.org? If not then aren’t you guilty of copyright infringement too? :wink:

The providers shouldnt be selling people bandwidth they dont have. How can they complain about the bandwidth use on a service where people have paid for that bandwidth and have every right to use it. Its like selling people bottles of water, but when they get through half of it telling them they can’t drink the rest and they have to give it back.

Reaction by Orinoco on Tuesday 18 March 2003 alimoniumfood did you get permission to post a quote from that article on slashdot.org? If not then aren’t you guilty of copyright infringement too?
He indicated the source was that website so he can’t be sited for infringment.

jakker1956 and Alox: Well put! aztechya: No, that’s is an infringement! Merely citing a source in insufficient acknowledgement - it’s like a form of plagiarism if u will! if alimoniumfood does not want to be sued then he should mention the author of the site with the URL link. Then, only then, this will not be an infringement of copyright. Don’t believe me, check your local law manual – it will highlight the rules in fine print for you! :7

Alimoniumfood, Just out of curiosity - do you work for a media company or do you have a vested interest in protecting copyrighted material? You say you don’t have a right to download something to replace a lost copy. You use a book as an example. What you fail to allow for is the argument that an owner has the capability to back up a CD, but in many cases is now being stopped by deliberate copy protection. Then the CD is damaged, the owner complains to the copyright owner, who says, “No, I’m not sending you another copy. And no, I’m not letting you make a backup. You’ll just have to pay me for another copy.” I don’t know what world you live on, but here on planet Earth, most people don’t like that attitude. You also say, “…if you make a copy of a copyrighted song without express permission from the copyright owner, you have broken the law and can be subject to civil action.” The songs on the radio and all T.V. shows are copyrighted. But Fair Use laws allow for personal use of them without asking permisssion of the copyright owner. And no, that doesn’t mean you can distribute them on your own, true, but you make no mention of that. You can cite all the laws you want. Many people concern themselves with what is morally right, over than the letter of the law. It used to be that women didn’t have the right to vote (in some places they still don’t.) That was the law. Did that make it right? Change does not come from everyone following like sheep. If everyone had your attitude, if no one ever had civil disobediance, then nothing would ever change. And no, I’m not using this line of reasoning to say we can steal. But if ENOUGH people say using P2P to trade files should not be illegal, then it should not be. The laws to protect copyrights were written from public sentiment (or were supposed to be. More like corporate sentiment nowadays). And the public sentiment can change the law. When corporations are BUYING the laws, and you repeat things like a parrot in defense of this way of doing business, you make me shake my head. Much the same way you are shaking yours towards my attitude, no doubt. Oh well.

The only vadil laws are God’s laws. There are 10 of them, all other laws are made by weak man and I will feel free to ignore them. (as should everyone else!)

as i said before this is a quote from a post from slashdot.org and i also posted the direct link to the thread in question. i am not an owner of business at this point dealing with copyright material but i try and put myself in the folks shoes who are in that position. “Reaction by Orinoco on Tuesday 18 March 2003 alimoniumfood did you get permission to post a quote from that article on slashdot.org? If not then aren’t you guilty of copyright infringement too?” i thought about that one before i posted hehe so that s why i stated where i got it. fortunatley they dont sell slashdot.org threads at hmv music eh? :wink: i see the quote i posted touched a few nerves lol but thats good; at least a reaction indicates that there are some feelings present and that this business of downloading for free has not become a bowl of cornflakes every morning. the point is that people should know that if they are caught there will be possible jail time and/or fines. thats just my 2.5 cents. :8