British government to outlaw standby buttons

I just posted the article British government to outlaw standby buttons.

Due to a recent study that indicates a full 8 percent of all energy use, is due to devices being left on standby mode, there are some new laws on the way across the pond. The British…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12098-British-government-to-outlaw-standby-buttons.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12098-British-government-to-outlaw-standby-buttons.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

How sweet! The IBM PC/XT with a side flip switch is back! :B Seriously speaking though this 8% estimate may even be understated. The on /off consumption ratio of any given device is probably not higher then 5%. But when you consider that most of the devices in a regular household are not used all together and most are in constant standbuy, like my scanner or vcr, then you get the picture. Off top of my head I counted a dosen of standby capable things around. If each consumes as little as 5 watts, it comes to 60W, which is a lightbulb. So I guess, folks, its time to start stacking up “convenient” PSUs while you can :d Cheers.

Another shining example of bureaucratic stupidity in action… At least this doesn’t effect the USA. I can understand wanting to get rid of the constant drain of things in standby – but this is not the way to do it. What is needed is a better standby mode with required maximum power usages – not a prohibition against it. This means that on TV’s in blighty you will HAVE to use the mains switch to turn the set on/off. Using a remote to turn it on/off from standby will be verboten. Well, I guess you could still do an “OFF” via remote but there is then no way to do an “ON” again – there has to be a microprocessor somewhere to receive the power on (standby off) command via the remote and wake the set back up. The same goes for PC’s only worse – if the PC can’t go into standby mode until a predefined event occurs and the automatically wake back up then things like automatic update downloads, virus scans, remote magic packet wake-up by sysadmins, etc. just are not going to happen properly (not that standby mode actually works all that well on most desktop PC’s anyway). The end result will be that most people just leave their PC’s on ALL THE TIME so that things update and work as they do now – in essence, the amount of power used will get WORSE not better… [with this scheme you couldn’t even have a PC hibernate and then do an auto-power on via a CMOS timer – that requires the ATX supply to be outputting 5VSB current – this moronic proposal would eliminate even that] The ONLY way to do automated power-ons or remote wakes up would be to incorporate rather large rechargable batteries into every device to run a separate IR receiver/timer micro and an hard mains switch – the thing is, it takes MORE current to charge the batteries initially than it does to properly maintain a low voltage trickle in the first place – plus you end up with a ton more rechargable batteries littering up landfills.

:)No problem really, people will just leave everything on, thus contributing to consuming more power not less:)

“This means that on TV’s in blighty you will HAVE to use the mains switch to turn the set on/off. Using a remote to turn it on/off from standby will be verboten. Well, I guess you could still do an “OFF” via remote but there is then no way to do an “ON” again – there has to be a microprocessor somewhere to receive the power on (standby off) command via the remote and wake the set back up.” Yes, you can get it ON again. All you need is a circuit that is driven by a built in rechargeable battery … :X

How about the British government switching off all the lights and Pc’s in their buildings and offices at night, for once in their shabby existance leading by example instead of telling us what to do and doing exactly the opposite. They tell us to drive fuel economical cars but Prescot has two jags. I’m sick to the back teeth of this politically correct bunch of numb nuts we have as a government, I’m taxed more than I ever have been to live in a country that is going down the pan.

What the Gov say over here, and what they actually do is 2 seperate things. By the times all the lobbyists for the interested parties finish, it’ll prpbably turn out to be a TV ad ASKING you to turn off! But at least it will get peeps thinking about their leccy usage.

“What the Gov say over here, and what they actually do is 2 seperate things. By the times all the lobbyists for the interested parties finish, it’ll prpbably turn out to be a TV ad ASKING you to turn off!” Totally Nothing draconian like this EVER happens in the UK… lol, this isn’t the US where some corrupt skumbags can get any old legislation passed overnight without you lot even hearing about it. Smoking will be banned in pubseating places from next summer. Do you guys realise how long this took (I’m not too happy about it). But basically, this sort of thing doesn’t happen quickly. Standby buttons won’t be banned, for a good 10 years or so, IF EVER. It just doens’t happen like this in the UK. The bill would have to be passed by the house of commons, and then the house of lords. There’s no way on earth the MPs of this country would vote with a majority to ban this.

“Yes, you can get it ON again. All you need is a circuit that is driven by a built in rechargeable battery …” …fool, and where does the power come to recharge that battery? :+ It could be done easily with a solar cell in virtually any lighting condition, power needed would be minimal. All irelevant anyway, since it’ll never happen.

Its said that if everyone who left their tv on standby in the uk actually tuned them off it would save something like 2 power plants. Anyway with the removal of the standby button maybe manufactures will figure out a way of putting a device to sleep without wasting electricity. Also the government should pass a law stating that all power supplies for Computers must be at least 80% efficient there are some really poor ones out their that have efficienct less than 70%. Also power supplies that are in standby should use no more than 1 watt, FSP PSU’s can do it, why not others. That would save power as well.
[edited by Quakester2000 on 17.07.2006 11:34]

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t most “in Standby” devices be working during peak power hours anyway -> And in standby during off-peak hours. If every device is totally off overnight, the demand might not meet the minimum power requirements to keep those big fossil-fuel power stations going … they can take 12-24hrs to fire up -> then they’ll need to invest in quicker off the mark power generators like wind, solar or water. This is just another white elephant to distract everyones attention from sneaky acts passing though parliament.

Unless I’m reading this wrong, it appears that this will affect most new homes and businesses are supposed to phase this in, correct? I think the answer is in solar. The gov’t oughta issue guidelines that say the average house of X square metres uses Y watts of power per day due to these stanby switches. Therefore the builder must install a solar panel and battery system capable of producing 100% of the wattage for these stanby switches. The gov’t’s guidelines provide a range of square metre sizes and wattage usages and the builders have to follow them. For businesses the gov’t can do the same thing, but I am sure the wattage per m^2 will be more. This could really get interesting if the gov’t were to look at doing a credit system. For ex. if you have an electric hot water heater going into a new house, you can buy your standby switch usage credits if you install a solar hot water heater and it is used during the daytime hours to keep your hot water hot. :d

This wont go through as a total ban for standby buttons. What this probably more likely means is they will start putting regulations in place so that companies have to actually think about their standby circuits and that they cant just create any old one that wolfs up huge amounts of power. It’s actually a very good thing as I doubt ANY companies spend ANY R&D budget on thinking about their standby for their equipment. It’s the kind of thing that needs next to no power yet probably uses tons just due to lazy designers. If they’re forced to think about it you’ll probably see this halved at the very least. I actually think it’s smart - I know I, and probably alot of people like me, just tend to leave the TV on 24/7 because we’re lazy gits and to be honest i watch it maybe a couple of hours a day at most, sometimes not at all. If I actually used the power button on the TV instead to just turn it off it’d make a big diff overall and all it’d mean for me was that my lazy ass had to move a few meters to first power it on - hardly something that’s going to kill me. Might even stop my heart seizing up from total lack of movement in life!

Good article at link below http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4620350.stm

my wife turn the set on and off :X

Another shining example of bureaucratic stupidity in action… At least this doesn’t effect the USA. OH yes it does you tool carbon emmissions are going to destroy this planet…end of argument .And your stupid polluting government is hiding its head in the sand ,along with a minority of its people,as usual. for the sake of your grandchildren …GROW UP…:frowning:

I have to say I actually agree with this idea. Don’t be so lazy all of you, its really not that hard to turn the stuff off properly.

LOL, now that is funny. Yes, the earth is going to blow up and it is because of my eviilll plan! Mwhahahahaha (insert evil laugh) Funny, when they run those global warming models to predict the past, which is a climate already known, they fail miserably.:d

For once I can sit here with a smug grin on my face as I always turn my TV off by the power button :B My DVD player on the other hand does not have a power button AFAIK, you either leave it in standby or unplug the thing. And if I remember right Telewest say that I should not switch off either my cable STB or modem (maybe they will have a change of policy soon).

If the UK didnt have an open door immigration policy there wouldn’t be as much energy use. Think about prevention before the cure.