British BPI prevents company from selling imported CDs

I just posted the article British BPI prevents company from selling imported CDs.

msissons points us to an interesting article in which we can read that the British music industry has won an important legal battle last week. The battle, lead by the BPI (British Phonographic…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5570-British-BPI-prevents-company-from-selling-imported-CDs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5570-British-BPI-prevents-company-from-selling-imported-CDs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

In Europe (EU) we have free trade of goods. What a joke :frowning:

This is one of the few Music sale companies that at least charge decent prices for CDs, i.e. 13 Euro an Album compared with 24 Euro in the shops. I’ve ordered several Albums off this site and never had any problem with them. I know someone who purchased a DVD from a Video store and found out that it was cracked when he tried playing it. He brought it back to the shop and they refused to replace it! After many orders from CD-WOW, we once received a damaged DVD, likely due to the abuse the post offices do their packages. We sent it back and got a replacement very quickly. This is better service than the shop which charges double for their DVDs. The BPI should :o REDUCE their CD prices like in Hong Kong rather than act like the RIAA and try sueing companies who try and give their customers a good deal without any sort of piracy :frowning: If the BPI wishes to close down CD-WOW or any other company that imports CDs for its customers, then they are just as well off giving everyone of the customers of these companies a free copy of Kazaa, WinMX, etc. :wink: as customer’s will generally not start paying double price for their music.

Yeah, they stop the source of cheap but legal cd’s, so they make pirating twice as attractive. Good move.

I hate the BPI!!!:4 Who’s more stupid - the guy who makes a buck by selling affordable and quality (disc - not music content!) or the guys who wants to charge double the price and fuck up the user community (like no replaced damaged goods!) BPI = Bunch of Pricks Incorporated!:d

One of the problems with business is that someone can eventually find [in a seemingly unmonitored sector of business] a loophole where one can abuse their business capability. Such is the case with CD WOW. They found and imported cheap CD’s, but did they do it legally? There are certain tariffs involved in import/export [especially in the EU] which attempts to level the playing field. For instance, development of software in the US per hour ranges anywhere [qualified] at $30 up to $200 per hour, but even I can get contracts from India for $4 with the same qualifications. The US [and other governments] frown on this because it throws money out to a foreign nation, and stifles employment within the country [two strikes] and ultimately is not policed by the government [taxes, security, etc] and there is strike three. You’ll see things change when the government comes around to doing something with the outsourcing ‘problem’ soon enough. The same applies to products… because of the lower production costs, you have lower distribution costs, and ultimately, lower price points. The only thing this hurts is the local economy [and grows as word grows of what great deals exist] so then you have money leaving the local market by the millions which causes other issues such as devaluation. Its more complex than most people think.

If british justice is as evenhanded as it claims then legislation must be passed specifically banning all employees of BPI from holidaying in spain or anywhere else that is cheaper than england…bloody trite argument innit ??..:7

Woo hoo! One more reason never to buy another CD again. Can’t even remember when I bought an audio CD. Thank god for broadband and the file sharing networks! The more orgs. like the BPI and RIAA tighten their grip, the more things slip through their fingers. I say screw the music industry, stop buying any CDs, download away, and bring these cock suckers to their knees! So who’s gonna be the first internet only bandartist? Selling their product exclusively on line…

Well, firstly, they haven’t actually stopped them from doing anything as yet - rather they’ve been allowed to go ahead with the court case on behalf of a number of parties who they might otherwise not have been allowed to represent - that’s all the current ruling says, cutting through all the legal jargon. MrStimpy - if you can’t remember when you last bought a CD, then this doesn’t concern you. For those of us who like to have the physical product for whatever reason, this is a blow - if you’re happy with MP3, that’s fine, but for those who want to own the legitimate product, CD-Wow is a vital resource, giving people the opportunity to listen to a new artist for a relatively small outlay. The fact that you might then go on to buy merchandise, go the gig, go to the web-site of that artist seems to escape the record companies. Onlinetracker - it’s basic Adam Smith economics that we’re going against here. Plus free trade in general. The real issue here is the retail lobby and that it has ‘got to’ the BPI and pressured them into doing this. It feels under threat, as well it might. The real question is why stop at CD-Wow? Why not go after the other grey / parallel importers that many of us use. And then heck, why stop there? There’s those naughty retailers in Australia who can undercut UK retailers even when you factor in postage, and the ones in Canada, too. If CD-Wow retreat back to HK and do all their business by e-mail, sending CDs out from Hong Kong and using the current worldpay system employed on their Hong Kong site (which allows payment in any currency) the BPI won’t have a leg to stand on, and all that will happen is some people who work in a call centre or mailing centre in the UK will lose jobs.

www.netsounds.com - but keep it quiet!