Bright settings now backwards after replacing LCD screen on Dell Laptop

vbimport

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop and the display started to go so I replaced it. The replacement screen did not come with an inverter so I used my existing one.

The screen works great except that the brightness control settings are reversed. In the BIOS there is a setting for the brightness from 1 to 8 with 1 being the dimmest and 8 being the brightest. With the replacement screen 1 is the brightest and 8 is the dimmest.

Since the brightness control tools (Dell Quickset) is set up for 8 being the brightest all the controls are backwards. So for example, the brightness now gets turned up when running on batteries and turned down when running on A/C. I can work around this by manually setting the brightness in reverse and remembering that the “brightness up” button now actually dims the display, but I’m wondering if there is a fix for this.

Apparently the replacement screen is expecting the opposite from what the BIOS is providing. Is there a way to tell the BIOS (or Dell Quickset) that bright is dim and dim is bright?

So check to see if there is a bios update from dell, if not try setting ‘factory defaults’ in the bios and rebooting.

On the dell software side, try uninstalling the program, then reboot, then download the latest software version from the dell support site.

If your lucky one of those will resolve that issue.

No BIOS updates since it’s an old laptop. There’s also no new Dell software for that specific laptop, but considering the Dell software mirrors the BIOS setting I don’t think that would help anyway. Oh well.

I would try uninstalling the dell software, reboot, then re-install it.

As the BIOS is backwards as well, I don’t really see that helping. Thanks for the suggestion though.