Bricked TSST TS-L632D from Dell Inspiron 1520

vbimport

I mistakenly flashed it with with the TS-L632H firmware due to a careless mistake and have now bricked it. Did anyone managed to successfully save their drive from the bricked state? It’s completely bricked it isn’t even recognised by the BIOS.
I have tried flashing it with sfdndos, mtkflash and other tools in DOS but i had no luck so far.
I even read in this forum of one guy flashing the EEPROM directly (on a different drive though) using an EEPROM programmer but I couldn’t find the EEPROM chip on this drive.
Drive is a TSST TS-L632D from a Dell Inspiron 1520.
Any ideas?

Hi and Welcome!

you may try tsdndos in plain DOS environment (started from a USB stick or similar). You may use the parameters to override hardware check and address the IDE port directly. Please check the "Howto Flash … " article mentioned in my signature for details.
If the Inspiron is the same hardware as Vostro 1500 (which I own), then the drive is recognised as Primary Master on the IDE part of the controller. To play safe, I’d remove the HDD.

If that doesn’t work, then it’s time to buy a new drive. The biggest difficulty would be the custom frontplate. Not sure if it can be removed and installed on another drive.

Michael

The Dell Inspiron 1520 is indeed identical to the Dell Vostro 1500. I wasn’t sure previously which port it would be and I could have sworn I’ve tried all ports I could (PM PS SM SS and even TM which someone said is the third master) but since you confirmed that it is the primary master I will retry the sfdndos method from a bootable DOS disk once more.
The front plate is quite easy to remove. There’s three clips that you can fiddle with to remove it. They’re very delicate though so you need to do it gently.

Hi,[QUOTE=cnxc323;2496689]The Dell Inspiron 1520 is indeed identical to the Dell Vostro 1500.[/quote]Well, I was 99% sure, but the optical drive you mentioned confused me :slight_smile:

but since you confirmed that it is the primary master I will retry the sfdndos method
You may also try the newer TSDNDOS. It’s part of later TS-L632H firmware updates from Dell. Additionally, switch the Sata controller to AHCI in Bios (plus removing the HDD). Otherwise, there are two primary master drives in the system (at least seen under Windows) which might confuse the flasher. And don’t forget to use the “ignore hardware” command line switch :wink:

from a bootable DOS disk once more.
You are still able to boot from your optical drive? Or are you using an USB stick?

The front plate is quite easy to remove. There’s three clips that you can fiddle with to remove it. They’re very delicate though so you need to do it gently.
Thanks, good to know. I never tried to remove the bezel :wink:

Michael