Brave new world of DVDs

vbimport

Hello everybody, :slight_smile:

Before I had problems with my DVDs, I just trusted burners, media, softwares and players. I encoded DVB-T movies or backed up commercial DVDs and enjoyed playing them back. I am not exactly a computers newbie generally speaking. :wink:
But recently I experienced freezes and stuttering when playing back movies I had burnt months ago, and when I tried to find out what was the origin of the troubles, and looked around in forums and video sites, then it seemed to me I was entering a whole new world. I realized that if I wanted to have everything reasonably secure I had to look at much more details than I did in the past, and test a lot of things, mainly harware.
My first question is : is there somewhere a guide/tuto/articles which shows how to test the whole chain (encoders, burn-softwares, burners, DVD disk, standalone players) and give strategies to have all these elements work together with the best reult possible ?
Then I did begin to test a few things. I looked at the media I had used to burn my movies. There are 2 groups : for one group the DVDs were “Ricoh silver edition” and at burning speed 8x DVDIdentifier gives this

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MBIPG101-R04-001]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Moser Baer India Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [MBIPG101]
Media Type ID : [R04]
Product Revision : [001]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

This one does not seem to be a very good brand, does it ?
The second group was burnt using Verbatim 16x Azo+ DVDs, with origin below

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-004-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [004]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

This brand looks better, does’nt it ? The burning speed was 16x at the beginning, then 4x.
The burner is built in my Dell 9100 and, according to Windows, is a Philips DVD8701, but this model/type is not known at Philips’ internet site. DVDInfoPro shows its features in the attached file.
I analyzed 2 of my “faulty” DVDs with Nero CD-DVD Speed, but everything was green. On one of them though, I had a strange “benchmark” diagram, which is in the second attached file. What does it mean ?
I called also Philips, which is also the make of my standalone player, and asked them what make of DVDs they advised to use in order to be readableby this player. They told me to buy TDK, Mitshubishi, Philips, Sony, Ricoh, but not Verbatim (which supossed to be better for computers but not for players), they insisted that the DVDs should not only be burnt at 4x or lower, but also that the DVDs themselves should be 4x. The problem is nobody sells 4x DVD ±R anymore. All this does not sounds quite credible. Does it ?
A last thing : I read many things in this forum about KProbe. But it seems to work only with a LiteOn burner. What is this ? Is it a special model of burner ?

Thank you to anybody who can help me to go further in the control of my hardware.

Gabier :slight_smile: