Brands and disc types that are fake Taiyo Yudens

vbimport

Thanks, Arachne …

I did read that in the FAQs - my concern, now allayed, was Nero’s “manufacturer unknown” message.

I’ll keep the DVDs.

EdP

Just bought a pack of Mirror DVD-Rs as an emergency buy from a supplier in Rotherham. They are Mirror DVD-R 16x DVD-Rs, with the fake TYG03 MID.

http://www.aristacomputers.com/Mirror-WHITE-FULL-FACE-PRINTABLE-16x-Speed-4.7GB-DVD-R-(50-PACK).html?m1track=googlebase&utm_source=google&utm_medium=M1productexport&utm_campaign=google_base&source=googlebase (Mine are the non-printable editions)

PS - What are Mirror DVD-R like as a brand, and equally, what are fake TYG03 disks like? I’m asking because I bought them for television recordings as an emergency buy (But should have ideally bought some Maxell RitekF1 discs for another £2.50, but didn’t have enough change :frowning: )and I don’t want them going awry in six months :frowning:

Only burned a handful so far and they seem okay, but DVDs need to be cared much more than a VHS tape…

discs i bought today KOdak dvd-r
using nero 10 havent a clue but hopefully you guys know
it looks like to me them verbatim discs are shit:o

[offtopic]Wow, I really love the new template, CDFreaks/Myce looks much better now, cleaner and easier than before, great job![/offtopic]

Where did you purchase those Kodak’s moljude1?

Wondering what is typical for tyg03 discs. I am using an ASUS writer.

[QUOTE=moljude1;2615761]discs i bought today KOdak dvd-r
using nero 10 [B]havent a clue[/B] but hopefully you guys know
it looks like to me them verbatim discs are shit:o[/QUOTE]

Can underline that, you have no clue, and the pictures give the proof.

So you assumed §"$%"&$&%

Is this eBay seller selling the real deal? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130938996170 Thanks.

No way of knowing for sure without asking the seller directly to identify codes on the discs. The listing is for JVC/Taiyo Yuden, so if you can trust that, then yeah, you’re good. :wink:

There is a seller in UK that sells this disc for a good price. RS communications or something.

[QUOTE=Albert;2715175]No way of knowing for sure without asking the seller directly to identify codes on the discs.[/QUOTE]

I asked the vendor about it and this was his reply:

[I]"Yes these are genuine Taiyo Yuden/JVC discs ( joint venture )

The wont have any marking like “Made in Japan” if you only buy 5, as we buy them in spindles of 100 and repackage them

The only way to know they are genuine is the MID code, which for 8X speed is TYG02 and TYG03 for 16X."

[/I]Is the code correct?

I have used quite a few Taiyo Yuden TYG02 disks (DVD+R 8X) with very good success.
I purchase them through RIMA.

TYG02 and TYG03 are DVD-R, 8x and 16x respectively.

+R would be YUDEN000 T02 and YUDEN000 T03 for 8x and 16x DVD+R.

Those are the right media IDs for what the seller is selling, yes. :slight_smile:

If still in doubt: order some and check the physical discs to see if the codes physically printed on them match up with typical TY hub & stamper codes.

Albert - you are right. I use MID: YUDEN000 T02 which is DVD+R 8X

The “MID code” does not tell if they are genuine - real TY and fake TY both have the same ID code, so I’d be inclined to doubt someone overemphasizing the MID code.

The key is the other codes PRINTED near the hub, not what the media ID’s as

This is cheap media I purchased from local store/internet. I just found out they’re fake TY and really bad quality. I would suggest you to avoid using them to backup important data, I’m posting here results:bow:

Aone 8x DVD-R white top

Fortis 8x DVD-R white top

Princo 8x DVD-R white top

Fake Princo 8x DVD-R (TYG02) are worse than real Princo Media, they look identical but its surface is hard lucid trasparent and thick. I’m posting results above.

…compared to real Princo media (burned ages ago:doh:):

Here in Brazil we can found fake TY in EMTEC/Nipponic/Videolar Brand.

Before using TYG02 code, it’s used VDSPMSAB code from Interaxia… it’s “worsest” media i have used…

In Brazil, Emtec/Nipponic/Videolar brand are retired from market.

[QUOTE=vdsacchi;2770238]Here in Brazil we can found fake TY in EMTEC/Nipponic/Videolar Brand.

Before using TYG02 code, it’s used VDSPMSAB code from Interaxia… it’s “worsest” media i have used…

In Brazil, Emtec/Nipponic/Videolar brand are retired from market.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if there is still any active CD-R/DVDR producer in Brazil?
Were those VDSPMSAB media losing data in a matter of months like the VDSPMSAB media produced by smaller European and Asian manufacturers?

Hi Pepst,

no, no more production in Brazil. Videolar, based in Manaus closed his media production business (also produced the Emtec and Nipponic brands) …
These VDSPMSAB 004-001 means are very, very cheap, and very, very crap too … I lost all my 25 DVD cake recorded on several drives, such as LG H55N, H12N, GWA-4161B, my warrior iHAS122 A, my DH20A4P … did not have a recorder that is understood with this crap. As far as say, the media was manufactured here, but the substrate was the Interaxia … then they started to provide media with Taiyo Yuden 8x (TYG02) false … yet another crap …

DVD-RW Videolar (Emtec and Nipponic) were not bad … I have some in service since 2008 … I’m going to check but I think they were manufactured by Moser Baer (particularly i like MBI media)…

Today i have a nice surprise when i goes to buy media… i found Optodisc 4x DVD-RW (OPTODISCW004) in sealed jewel case. I bought 4… I will buy more… i use a lot of -RW discs to backup (and update backup)…

and found printable Optodisc DVD-R 8x (OPTODISCR008)

Later i test it and post results… if i have difficult to post, i ask to help me!

Cheers!

I thought that the VDSPMSAB 004-001 media had been never mass produced and commercially available. :eek::eek:
Can you still buy some blank DVDRs with this MID code?