Brands and disc types that are fake Taiyo Yudens

vbimport

What’ the deal with all these fake TY discs? How can legit retailers like NewEgg sell them!? I was made aware of this by a friend after buying some last month. The serial number on the ring of the disc starts with ‘GH’. Are these fake too? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817294007
How do you find the real thing on NewEgg?

[QUOTE=Viper187;2497811]The serial number on the ring of the disc starts with ‘GH’. Are these fake too?[/QUOTE] No, they are genuine.

GHxxxxxx = Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R
GGxxxxxx = Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R
THxxxxxx = Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R
TGxxxxxx = Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R

Hi Everyone

Just about to buy some Taiyo Yuden CDrs from Ebuyer in the UK (as they are reduced in price):

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/188511

I’ve been looking around these forums, but still confused - exactly how do you tell whether they are fake or genuine?

Thanks for any help

J

You can’t really tell for sure if they are genuine before you actually get them (but they probably are). If I remember correctly, the Taiyo Yuden CD-R have a hub code (near the center hole) that starts with PG80.

Welcome to the forum, BananaFish! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2504271]
Welcome to the forum, BananaFish! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2504271] If I remember correctly, the Taiyo Yuden CD-R have a hub code (near the center hole) that starts with PG80.[/QUOTE]

Is it as simple as finding that PG80 then? Do the fakes not also have that hub code? From what I’ve been reading, some fakes copy codes from genuine TY…? Or have I got that wrong?

Cheers,

J

[QUOTE=BananaFish;2504371]Is it as simple as finding that PG80 then?[/QUOTE] I believe so, unless Taiyo Yuden have made some CD-Rs with a different stamper code.

Do the fakes not also have that hub code? From what I’ve been reading, some fakes copy codes from genuine TY…? Or have I got that wrong?
The codes that are faked are machine-readable codes on the disc read by the drive’s laser pickup - ATIP (Absolute Time In Pregroove) for CD-R media and MID (Media IDentifier) for DVD media.

To my knowledge, noone has yet bothered to fake the visible hub and stamper codes.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2504271]If I remember correctly, the Taiyo Yuden CD-R have a hub code (near the center hole) that starts with PG80.[/QUOTE]
…or PC80 :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2504271]If I remember correctly…[/QUOTE]Which is not the case! :doh: … the Taiyo Yuden CD-R have a hub code (near the center hole) that starts with <s>PG80</s> 80 PG.

this are authentic taiyo yuden?

http://www.meritline.com/jvc-dvd-r-16x-premium-grade-gold-lacquer-brander-vdr47hgs50---p-39423.aspx

[QUOTE=dmdevotee;2512322]this are authentic taiyo yuden?

http://www.meritline.com/jvc-dvd-r-16x-premium-grade-gold-lacquer-brander-vdr47hgs50---p-39423.aspx[/QUOTE]

Hi dmdevotee. :wink:
Yes, they are authentic.

thanks!

anybody knows where to buy taiyo yuden premium line instead of value line in europe? (in concrete, to spain)

seems that meritline doesn’t sell dvds to spain

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2497815]No, they are genuine.

GHxxxxxx = Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R
GGxxxxxx = Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R
THxxxxxx = Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R
TGxxxxxx = Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R[/QUOTE]

hi, the earlier referenced site, http://www.meritline.com/jvc-dvd-r-16x-premium-grade-gold-lacquer-brander-vdr47hgs50---p-39423.aspx (meritline.com), site mentioned ‘effective 2010, Taiyo Yuden brand name has changed to JVC’

does ths (hub)stamper code guideline for quality Taiyo Yuden discs continue to be applied to JVC brand discs, or are there new stamper codes;
or are there Taiyo Yuden/JVC discs and JVC discs in the mix now.

Still the same. Taiyo Yuden still exists, they just started selling their media under the JVC brand. The media is still"the same".

Discs with JVCVictorW?? media code do exist too, but as far as I know, it’s only RW media.

One day, when I have a few hours, I’ll wade through this thread, and update the original list :iagree:

Added Mr. DVD (yes, that is really the brand name :rolleyes: ) - the 8x -R is fake TYG02, MIHK :Z

Oh oh! I know :wink:

AOne discs (8x, DVD-R) are fake TYG02 discs as well. I knew it was going to be a naff disc because the colour of the dye was a light blue. I expected CMC MAG :eek:

I feel so helpful :bigsmile:

I just purchased a cakebox of JVC/Taiyo 8x DVD-Rs, but I’m not sure they’re authentic. Some of the clues I’ve read about in this forum to determine their authenticity indicate they are, for example:

FN027D101695GG appears on the transparent part of the hub. (The initial F might be an E - it’s hard to read)
GG00038 and 0420 appear on the adjacent non-transparent part of the hub.

However, Nero CD-DVD Speed reports Manufacturer=unknown, but MID=TYG02. I’ve read in this forum that the MID is easily faked.

I purchased these from Amazon to be supplied by Media Supply in Exton, PA. (outside Philadelphia), but they came from a place in Brooklyn called Checkout Store.

Comments and opinions welcome.

Thanks
EdP

Edp,

I have read in this forum that TY bought out JVC two or three years ago so they could get enter the mainstream market.

I think that was in the 16x era and I doubt that their 8x would be TY.

It is therefore probably very likely to have been faked…

When you bought them did they say they were archival?

[QUOTE=EdP;2582031]
However, Nero CD-DVD Speed reports Manufacturer=unknown, but MID=TYG02. I’ve read in this forum that the MID is easily faked.[/QUOTE]The MID IS frequently used wrongly, BUT CD-DVD Speed shows “Manufacturer: Unknown” for all DVD-R, if I remember correctly. If not all DVD-R, I know it has happened with me. CD-DVD Speed just displays information based on what the disc tells it, and both fake & real discs will tell it “Disc Model: TYG02”. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2582036]Edp,

I have read in this forum that TY bought out JVC two or three years ago so they could get enter the mainstream market.

I think that was in the 16x era and I doubt that their 8x would be TY.

It is therefore probably very likely to have been faked…[/QUOTE]
I would personally be inclined to think they (TY/JVC) still produce some small amounts of 8x media (not unheard of), and the hub codes do sound similar to what I expect for TYG02 (as is touched on in one of the first 5 or so posts of this thread; I have no TYG02 at hand. :doh:)

Thanks for the quick responses.

Nowhere in the amazon blurb is the word “archival” or “archive” used. http://tinyurl.com/6bkjozq Why do you ask?

After reading a lot of the posts in this thread, it appears finding legitimate TYs is like an Easter egg hunt.
If these are indeed fakes, I can return them to Amazon. Is there a reliable vendor selling authentic TYs?

Thanks again,
EdP

Just to confirm, the “GGxxxxx” code does indeed indicate genuine TYG02. :slight_smile:

(See our Taiyo Yuden FAQ for more stamper codes!).

Regarding sellers of genuine TY’s in the US, try www.rima.com - most of our US members use them :slight_smile: