Brands and disc types that are fake Taiyo Yudens

vbimport

Taiyo Yuden DVD media does not have a frosted hub (only the CD media does).
Sadly, Aldi/Tevion DVD media has a huge market share in Germany (where they sell fake MCC 004 made in Macau). But I hope that such problems will fix themselves if they continue making mistakes of this kind.

I don’t know how closely Aldi checks the quality of the products they sell. They might be getting screwed over as well as the customers, thinking they’re getting at least acceptable blank media.

What really burns me up is that most of the people who grab these DVD-Rs don’t know any better. They’re likely DVD recordable newbies, with a good chance of also being computer novices. They burn off a bunch of irreplaceable data, thinking its gonna be safe on the DVD-R, then delete the original files. Then a month later, when they need the stuff on the DVD-R, the disc’s dead, and there’s much crying and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Totally unacceptable…

Oh, and on a related note: The nice manager at the Aldi listened to my plight and seemed genuinely concerned. She gave me a pack of DVD-Rs to test out and return the results. I burned them with a 4532736KB test image using ImgBurn at 8x, on my BenQ DW1655 w/ firmware BCIB, default drive options (SB OFF/ON, WOPC ON, Overburn OFF.) Only the first one of the ten came out bad this time; it failed ImgBurn’s verification check. The writer should have used the regular firmware buring optimizations for TYG02, but that’s what gave me 12 out of 14 bad discs before, so I don’t know what’s going on… I’m going to attach the output from Nero CD-DVD Speed’s Disc Quality test for the first good burn of the set.

My hard drive was going bad,got that fixed but my TY’s still don’t show up on anything.In my dvd burner or DVD indentifier.Help please

What about these? Surley to good to be true at that price?!!!

They are genuine but most likely value line/B-grade.
Anything that says “duplication grade” usually means B-grade anyway :slight_smile:

Hey, im a noob to all this stuff and didnt even hear the word taiyo yudens till like yesterday lol. But I was wondering if I have bad DVD+R’s since ive never bought this brand before.

I bought a 25pack of Sony DVD+R 1x-16x’s

not sure how to tell if they’re Yudens

can anyone help me figure it out?

I got some Comstar 4.7 100pk DVD+Rs from Future shop. Their media code is YUDEN000-T02-00. I call FAKE because:
-The paper wrapping says printed in China.
-There’s no letters/numbers near the hub.
-The very same Comstar 100pk with the DVD-Rs, are made from some other dupe name CMC magnetics uses.
-Final proof, here’s the (Burned using Nero 6 at 2.4x) burn results using Nero CD-DVD speed:

~Jason

Hi [B]Choujij[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

From the evidence you list, I agree that those are fake Taiyo Yudens. :iagree:

Thank you :slight_smile: I have a question. What matters more, the total amount of PIEs or consistent PIEs that keep the average flat across the chart?
~Jason

I would say that it depends on the scan of the disc and the levels the errors reach. Just my personal opinion :slight_smile:

Kk. I think maybe its the total amount, but I’m still not sure.
~Jason

I’d simply buy Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden discs if possible, and re-copy all of you’re G05’s onto them. It might have been a firmware issue. And yes, you should scan you’re discs for degradation :slight_smile:

Sorry about that post I made before, it was supposed to be in the other forum, that’s why I edited out. About buying the TYs, that’s a great idea. I never knew these discs would die like this, they had really good burns.
~Jason

I so cannot wait for some genuine TY =)

Hi everybody,

I have bought some quite cheap media here in Greece a few days ago (2,99 Euro for 10 pieces) with the Brandname Racks (DVD-R 1-8*).
DVD Identifier says:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [TYG02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Media Code’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘Media Code’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 0Eh - Pre-Recorded Information In Lead-In
0000 : 01 40 c1 fd 9e d8 52 00 02 87 0d 10 66 78 80 00 .@…R…fx…
0010 : 03 54 59 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .TYG02…
0020 : 05 aa a2 22 22 20 02 00 06 08 0e 11 87 78 80 00 …"" …x…
0030 : 07 88 80 00 00 00 00 00 08 06 13 0d 10 0e 07 00 …
0040 : 09 97 07 0d 0b 78 88 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 …x…
0050 : 0b 06 18 17 85 78 75 00 0c d6 89 a8 92 01 20 00 …xu… .
0060 : 0d 10 00 d0 00 00 00 00 …

** INFO : Hex Dump Of ‘Control Data Zone’-Block Listed Below
** INFO : 4-Byte Header Preceding ‘CDZ’-Block Discarded
** INFO : Format 10h - Physical Format Information Of Control Data Zone
0000 : 25 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 25 e2 1f 00 00 00 00 %…%…

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

On the back of the disc is written (in the inner ring of the DVD): DVD-R M0203.
I have a LG GSA H10N Burner and when copying Movies with Sony,Verbatim or TDK Media even at 16times speed I nearly never experienced any problem but with this media at 8*burning the output wasn´t satisfactory.
So is this real Taiyo Yudens or fake? Thanks for helping:

kostas.d

DVD-R M0203 does not sound genuine.
A genuine TYG02 disc should have a GGxxxxxx code in the dye area.

As you’re Greek, you can get real genuine Taiyo Yuden media under the That’s brand (www.discimpex.gr, www.e-shop.gr, www.cdmarket.gr).
Try these, I’m sure you will notice the difference :slight_smile:

vielen Dank fuer die Info,eine der Adressen kannte ich noch nicht.Hatte ich mir schon gedacht…

greetings from sparti,home of leonidas and his 300

kostas

Hi [B]kostas_d[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

No German posts here please, unless you also provide English translation. :wink:

I second the advice given by [B]kg_evilboy[/B]. :iagree:

all right I´ll post in future in english.By the way, there isn´t or won´t be a greek forum,will it?Oh and I promise I wont`t write in greek,too. :wink:

Odd thing just happened. I went to do a scan on one of my old Sony DVD-Rs that I burnt with my BTC burner couple of years ago. Anyway, I was expecting to see horrendous results, but the scans were good! Pies averaging 20, and max Pif of 2! Scoring 95, I thought maybe I put some other DVD in my drive when I noticed nero CD-DVD said the disc is TYG02! I didn’t know that Taiyo Yuden made any DVDs for Sony! After that I then noticed a pinkish shade to the white top of the Sony DVD-Rs that are TYG02. Also the bottom is identical to my Genuine 8X TY’s. So this isn’t fake but I’m surprised at the results, because normally there’s no way that my old BTC burner would produce these results, especially considering the disc has aged. Kudos to TY. =)
~Jason

here in venezuela, the fake taiyo yuden are the most common media you can find.

some time ago i buyed two different types of taiyo yuden rip-off: matrix and v-max.
they were pretty good, considering that they are hong-kong made compressed garbage.

anyway, i used all my stock, and today buy some more, and i noticed that some new brands have arrived to my country.
one was a no-name, that the dvd identifier scanned as “optodiscr008”.
the other, is this s-data 1-8x that dvd identifier says are “tyg02”.

this is a scan of the ribbon that was around the 50-piece cakebox:

what amazes me, is the “made in taiwan with philips license”.
the missing “l” in phil[B]l[/B]ips almost make this a bad joke… :doh:

anyway, you can count this into the list of el cheapo taiyo yuden fakes.
but 2 cakes of 50 pieces each for 33 bucks, if a very good price.

oh, and sorry for my bad engrish… :o