Brand new LG GSA-H55N won't read DVD-RW

vbimport

I Just bought this new LG GSA-H55N bulk a couple of days ago, after the mechanical system in my old Plextor Drive died on me.

I was quite pleased with it, i managed to burn a couple of DVD+R and DVR-R (Verbatim, TDK both 16x) without a flaw.

But then i realized it doesn’t recognize the old DVD-RW i burned with my old drive. My old Plextor was pretty beaten up, and was burning slowly and with some errors in it’s last weeks of use, so i thought that maybe the old drive managed to screw something up with the old disks.

I bought a couple of Traxdata DVD+RW 4x. It managed to burn one of then, as a normal disc, at 4x, but when i tried to erase it, i would get an error message saying the disc is not rewritable. When a try and wite a new compilation and slide the disc in, it says it’s a “DVD-ROM” disc and i need a DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW etc. type of disc.

I managed to erase both discs on another computer (although i didn’t burn one of them) and now it didn’t recognize any of the two. I tried reinstalling Nero, changing from 8.2 to 6.6, and changing the IDE cable coupling and still nothing.

I sent it back to the dealer, as it was in warranty, and the service gave a new drive, after their inspection (on the sheet they wrote that it “doesn’t recognize DVD-RW”, as in exactly the same thing i wrote in my application)
. Now i have a new drive of the same model, and the exact same problem.

Am i missing something here ? Anybody got any suggestions ?

I will try and install the drive on a friends computer, and see if i have the same problem, before sending it to the dealer again, but i;m beginning to think it has something to do with my hardware or software.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Do you have Alcohol, Daemon Tools, or any other virtual drive software installed?

If you do, then it’s probable that a simple settings change will fix the problem :slight_smile:

Yes, actually i do. Didn’t think about that.

I currently have Deamon Tools Pro (Advanced Edition) version 4.10.0218 with all the funny-named options activated. :slight_smile:

What exactly am i looking for ?

Thank you for the quick reply.

OK, try this: Go into DT’s settings, and find something like “Hide CDR media” (or similar) - you might have to hunt about a bit as I’m unsure of the exact location.

When you find it, make sure it’s not checked. Hopefully that will help. :slight_smile:

I had to wait until my drive came back from my friend, but now yes, it works.

It was the “Hide CD-R” emulation thing. Thanks a lot for the help. :smiley:

You’re welcome, glad it’s sorted :slight_smile:

Hello, I have (maybe) the same problem with this LG DVD Recoreder.
It cant read any DVD-+RW dics. I have installed Alcohol 120% but I coulndt found where [B]Hide CDR media" (or similar)[/B] is.
Please can someone show me where?
Thank you so much

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I believe it’s somewhere in the settings, try looking under “Emulation” :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2159006]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I believe it’s somewhere in the settings, try looking under “Emulation” :)[/QUOTE]
Hi, thank you for your helping.
I also uninstalled Alcohol 120% and the driver is still not read any DVD-+RW disc.
Please can you help me again?
Should I have to upgrade firmware or something?

Unfortunately, now that you’ve uninstalled Alcohol, I’m out of ideas - do you have System Restore enabled, and if so, is it possible to go back to a date before your problems started?

Edit: It’s possible that Alcohol has left a driver behind, which is still causing problems.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2159382]Unfortunately, now that you’ve uninstalled Alcohol, I’m out of ideas - do you have System Restore enabled, and if so, is it possible to go back to a date before your problems started?

Edit: It’s possible that Alcohol has left a driver behind, which is still causing problems.[/QUOTE]
I bought the driver one year ago, but yesterday is first time I want to burn into RW disc.
I also upgrade firmware to lastest version. Still doesnt read RW discs.