Brand new LG GSA-H55L Doesnt burn above 4x using MCC 004?

vbimport

I have just bought a brand new LG GSA-H55L burner and it will only burn at 4x on my high quality Verbatim MCC 004 disks which i have been using for years on an older driver without any problems (always burning at 16x).

I have updated to the latest fw (1.05), but still no joy.

I have installed DVD Identifier 5.0.1 and the drive reports the drive as 20x for DVD+R but the media as 4x? On my old drive it reports the media at 16x max.

I have installed MediaCodeSpeedEdit, but this already reports that type of media (MCC 004) as being 16x capable on my new drive with the current fw?

Is the new drive defective?? Should i send it back and get another, or will i encounter the same problem?

Thanks a lot for any advice…

Here is the info from DVD Identifier on the new drive with my 16x speed Verbatim (MCC-004) disks:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-004-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [004]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

** INFO : Drive = HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55L - [FW 1.05] - [ATAPI]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-R-DL DVD-RW DVD-RAM
** INFO : Disc = [DVD+R:MCC-004-000]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 5540 kBps ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
** WARNING : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Always Properly Supported
** WARNING : Drive Did Not Report Any Write Speed Descriptors

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

As far as I can say, this is a known issue with some Verbatim media and LG drives that use a Panasonic chip. Other drives will perform quite well, but the Panasonic-based LG will write at 4x only with some batches of Verbatim media. Other batches that appear to be similar, or even other discs from the same spindle, will be quite fine.

So I say that it’s a combination of drive and media. Either go for a different, Renesas-based LG [for current offerings, I think that’s anything not of the H5x series], another drive brand, or another brand of discs [not really the best choice, unless you can get some media by Taiyo Yuden].

Does using Nero DiscSpeed [aka Nero CD-DVD Speed; thread on CD-DVD Speed] give you the same speed offerings?

Thanks loads for your speedy response Albert.

Can i not just force the drive to write at 16x speed on these disks by modding the fw using MediaCodeSpeedEdit??

Am i never going to get speeds above 4x with this drive and this media??!!!

Some batches of Verbatim will work, but I can’t promise that all batches will work.

I am not sure how some people fared when using Media Code Speed Edit. The closest media codes I would try to swap if I had the problem, though, would be MAXELL 003, MBIPG101 R05 [I think that’s the 16x DVD+R code], and CMC MAG M01. Can’t promise this will will work, either.

Note that using MCSE on firmware and flashing that unofficial firmware will void your warranty, so decide carefully. :wink:

Thanks lot, you have been really helpful so far :bow: just one last question…

Why are there three different codes for MCC 004 - there does not seem to be anything to distinguish them from each other, except that one doesn’t support 18x and 20x, but the other two do. But what is the difference between the other two?

Cheers Albert

…in other words, which one do i choose to edit, and which one do i choose to replace it with!!!

I can’t say; you’ll have to pick and choose between all 3 with a bit of testing.

[QUOTE=Albert;2046084]As far as I can say, this is a known issue with some Verbatim media and LG drives that use a Panasonic chip. Other drives will perform quite well, but the Panasonic-based LG will write at 4x only with some batches of Verbatim media. Other batches that appear to be similar, or even other discs from the same spindle, will be quite fine.

So I say that it’s a combination of drive and media. Either go for a different, Renesas-based LG [for current offerings, I think that’s anything not of the H5x series], another drive brand, or another brand of discs [not really the best choice, unless you can get some media by Taiyo Yuden].

Does using Nero DiscSpeed [aka Nero CD-DVD Speed; thread on CD-DVD Speed] give you the same speed offerings?[/QUOTE]

I have bought myself a Samsung SH-S202N and so far it has been [B]perfect[/B], it appears that all my old media works at 20x and i have had no write errors so far. Will have to try Lightscribe for the first time ever and see what that’s like. Out of interest, what chipset is in the Samsung drives? How can i find out? Thanks again for you help mate.

Just a thought but have you been able to burn any media above 4x using the LG, if not change ide cable to 80 wire one or if you are using an 80 wire already change it for another and set drive to master.

[QUOTE=mcompton69;2047794]I have bought myself a Samsung SH-S202N and so far it has been [B]perfect[/B], it appears that all my old media works at 20x and i have had no write errors so far. Will have to try Lightscribe for the first time ever and see what that’s like. Out of interest, what chipset is in the Samsung drives? How can i find out? Thanks again for you help mate.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I was gonna say don’t get a Pioneer, cause a similar problem with MCC004 has been reported here. The Samsung’s chipset is made by MediaTek (best known from LiteOn drives).