Brand New build, bsods frequently, help!

vbimport

I got the idea to build my first custom pc recently and with the help of fellow cdfreaks members, I chose:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS P5K-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard (w/o built in wifi)

EVGA 512mb GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 Graphics Card

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

CORSAIR 650TX 650W (MFG. by Seasonic)

And a Tuniq Tower CPU COOLER.

Dropped it all in a Simple but Huge COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 Case and watched that baby fly today when I put it together in about 4 hours. Not bad for my first build.

Installed Genuine Copy of Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I’m afraid to overclock anything because I heard it voids your newegg warranty. I have a big question if someone doesn’t mind answering. About every four or five hours, my system bsod’s. I don’t have a clue why. I have everything set to auto in bios and the bios is updated.

I have yet to even push this baby and all of my temps stay around 47c to 51c with my one* 120mm fan on the back, my Tuniq tower w/ it’s 120mm fan on full speed and my very small intake fan on the front on full speed as well. My Graphics card fan is also hacked to run at 100 percent.

I haven’t configured my ram because it says its supposed to be 4-4-4-12 but every time I set the first four settings to that, cas latency, etc. it runs about 20 mins and bsods.

Any help is appreciated.

Also, when I hook up my WD MYBOOK PREMIUM to my firewire connection, vista 64 doesn’t detect it and an error message pops up, yet the system does detect it and lets me drag stuff onto it at around 9mb a second transfer rates, which is terrible. When I tried to drag anything over 1gb onto my new system, transfer speeds slowed to a crawl, actually to about 400kb a second and then just appeared to stop completely. Anyone have a clue why? I have a sata hard drive with a 3gb sec transfer rate and haven’t configured it at all, other than installing the system…

Well, I would think that it is a hardware issue. Mainly memory (RAM or HDD). That was one of my problems in the past. Same thing happened to me. I just got done doing eveything to my new build and I got to playing around with it in windows and it stated crashing. On the other hand you’ve been playing with it all day so I’m sure you’ve installed some other programs, which can cause problems if they are intruding on the space that windows has set for itself. I would go through your programs to see what you installed and uninstall one and then play with it for a while and see if it happens. If it happens again then you know it’s not that particular program. Repeat with different program until you are sure that it is or is not a particular program. If it isn’t then pull one of your sticks of ram and let the pc run like that and do everything you do normally. If it gives you the blue screen of death again then switch the ram and see if it happens. If it happens again then it is possible that your HDD is bad. It may take a while to figure out exactly what is wrong. But, again, I would think that after every 4 to 5 hours of you playing with it and not at a certain point of opening a program and it happening that it would be a hardware issue.

Also make sure you set your ram voltage to what the manufactures specs say. Auto could very well be under volting your ram. Also it’s better to set your ram latencies manually. Who knows what Auto set them to. Setting them properly will at least take that part out of the equation. You can download Cpu-Zand it will tell you what your ram is running at under the Memory tab and under the SPD Tab it will give you info on voltage and timings. Looks like a nice set up.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=crossg;2071280]Also make sure you set your ram voltage to what the manufactures specs say. Auto could very well be under volting your ram. Also it’s better to set your ram latencies manually. Who knows what Auto set them to. Setting them properly will at least take that part out of the equation. You can download Cpu-Zand it will tell you what your ram is running at under the Memory tab and under the SPD Tab it will give you info on voltage and timings. Looks like a nice set up.:)[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks a lot guys. I was thinking it was probably the ram but that doesn’t really explain why the transfer speeds from the mybook premium are so slow, unless it just isn’t compatible with my os at all. I’m going to give the ram a tweak after I install cpu-z.

I’ll update in a little while or maybe tomorrow and let you know what’s happening.

-PEACE-

P.S. This site should win some awards already. I’ve never EVER spoken to a nicer group of people on any other forum. I can’t believe how no one has an attitude problem or has been sarcastic. TOP SITE A+.

UPDATE:

Well I fixed the ram, went to some corsair forums or something like that and got to see what the lab tests were like. I tried to configure my ram the best I could.

I went into Crysis (first time I’ve ever played it) and it loaded up on my system fine, even at all settings high, there was no lag at all. I passed the first check point, it saved and BAMM! BSOD.

I restarted and was getting my burner ready to burn memtest86…BSOD AGAIN!

I used another computer I have to burn the disk, popped it in and now I have a new question. It’s been going for 1 hour and 33 minutes and it’s on it’s second pass with 298 errors. Damn.

Am I supposed to stop memtest or will it keep going forever? What does this mean? Is my brand new ram bad or just configured wrong? I need some definitive answers and some help immediately before I pull my hair out!!!

If memtest already has errors you can stop it. Some run it for days with out errors. In your bios did you set the the Memory re-map to on? Your 64 bit OS should use all 4 Gb of that ram. Just recheck to make sure that everything is properly connected and seated. Re-run memtest and if you get errors again see if you can get the ram replaced. One other thing is that Crysis on my Vista 32 bit system also locks up when saving the check point. Someone said it was maybe becuase I hadn’t installed Punk buster. Works fine with XP though. Good luck.

[B]EDIT: [/B]Make sure you download and install the latest Bios and drivers for your Mobo ensuring that that drivers are 64 bit compatible. Looks like 1013 is the latest bois for your board, if it’s the P5K E

I went back into my bios and set everything to auto, instead of the recommended settings. I’m rerunning memtest again one stick at a time to determine which stick it is.

So far one stick is perfect on the first pass. Guess I get to try the other one in a little while. So if it finds even ONE error, that means the ram is bad?

Well, that’s good that you can tell by that method. Anyways, it’s Corsair so it has a lifetime warranty. I don’t overclock so that’s not a problem. If it finds errors again I’ll contact newegg and get it replaced.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I didn’t turn memory remap on, but Vista was using all four gbs of ram. It showed in my computer and cpu-z.

Also, it didn’t freeze when it saved. It saved, I kept playing and then I got the bsod.

I forgot to add that you might want to make sure that you have your voltage on your ram set right. If it is too high/low then that can cause you to get errors too. I’ve used memtest. Perosnally, I won’t use it again for searching out a problem with the bsod. When one of my sticks was bad I let memtest run for 24hrs and it didn’t find one problem with any of my sticks. I’m not saying that it won’t work for you, but that’s just my experience. I hope it does work for you so that you don’t have to go through all the work. Good luck, and make sure you have those voltages correct. Check with the manufacture homepage on your specific ram and get the correct amount and set it to that (not auto). Have fun.

A friend has given me some advice for you. Relax your memory timings to 5,5,5,18 & give that a shot.

Make sure your using the correct version of memtest, its memtest86+
http://www.memtest.org/

As been mentioned before, your ram should be able to run at 4-4-4-12 with 2.1 volts. But its best to run with the least voltage but with full stability, so if you can get it to run stable with 2.05V then thats better, etc.

There will be bugs when running a 64bit OS, so you have to research on where to find drivers that work or if they even exist.

Also, you might have to reinstall everything on your HDD becuase, the erroring ram may have corrupted files.

Well thanks for the replies. Actually, when my ram was reporting errors, it was set to 2.1 volts and 4-4-4-12. When I set everything to auto in the bios, it automatically set the timings to 5-5-5-18 but kept the voltage the same. I was using memtest86+ because I went to the official site and grabbed a copy there.

When I ran both sticks for 2 hours I had over 398 errors. When I ran them one stick at a time, one stick never reported an error while the other reported 6 errors in about a half hour.

So I contacted newegg and was approved for an RMA. I sent them off this morning so it should be a week before I receive new ones…

I really need to reformat my hdd and then put everything on again? Well, at least I have an extra drive hooked up so I can back everything up to it and not lose any valuable programs, etc.

Also, someone told me that from now on I should check the ram one at a time as soon as I get them. Is it really common to have dead/bad sticks? They were corsair so I figured that was a good brand.

I wouldn’t say its common, but since these 2gb sticks are relatively new and are using higher density chips it does happen. Also rare, but some brands don’t play well together.

Do you remember if you bios had the option to run the ram with a 1T or 2T timming rate? also called command rate.

I would re-install everyting If I were you. All it takes is one corrupt file and the OS won’t run at all.

Ok I will just do a fresh install of everything. Yes it does have 1t and 2t timing. I had it set to 2t based on lab tests done using my board (p5k-e) according to Corsair’s Lab Results.

@crossg: The first thing I did when I got the board was upgrade my bios to the latest version because it didn’t recognize my Q9450 processor. Thanks for the link though.

Edit: Since it’s going to be a week before I get my ram, I put the cover back on. When the sticks get here, I’ll use an air compressor to clean off the mobo and make sure the ram sockets are nice and clean as well. I don’t want any debris in there or anything that could give it a bad reading.

My mobo has 4 ram slots. They go: Black, yellow, black, yellow.

Last time, I had the sticks installed skipping the first black and going, yellow, yellow.

Next time, should I try black, black? I know in order to be in dual channel they have to be in the same colored slots, but does it matter if I put them in the first and third slots, or does it matter if I put them in the 2nd and 4th slots?

Basically, my question is, do they need to be in the first and 3rd slots to not get errors?

[QUOTE=Jusdafide;2071881]
My mobo has 4 ram slots. They go: Black, yellow, black, yellow.

Last time, I had the sticks installed skipping the first black and going, yellow, yellow.

Next time, should I try black, black? I know in order to be in dual channel they have to be in the same colored slots, but does it matter if I put them in the first and third slots, or does it matter if I put them in the 2nd and 4th slots?

Basically, my question is, do they need to be in the first and 3rd slots to not get errors?[/QUOTE]

Whatever you manuel says in order to run them in dual channel mode. Usually you can use either of the pairs of slots.

Question, did you check a program like cpuz to make sure the ram wasn’t getting overclocked by the BIOS. The thing is, you ram runs at 800Mhz /quad pumped/ and your MB’s FSB is running at 1333Mhz due to the cpu, so the MB has to use a divider to make the system work, this is normal but if the MB selected one that overcloced the ram, then you would definitly have errors.

When I last bought DDR2 a couple of months ago, the guy behind the counter who normally worked in assembly said they’d had a lot of problems (BSOD’s) with Corsair lately. I was surprised to hear this myself. FWIW.

Plus the Asus boards that I have worked with seem to prefer Crucial for some reason. I haven’t had much luck with certain types of Corsair or OCZ depending what IC they use. Sometimes even getting them to boot is a pain until you set it up properly in BIos. So for me it’s just easier to recommend Crucial. But that’s just my experience

Wow, you guys are really starting to scare me. I did use cpu-z but since configuring systems is new to me, I think the best course of action would be to wait until the sticks come in, take screenshots or pictures of the bios and have you recommend the best settings. That way, I’ll know it is set up right…

One question, I already RMA’d the ram. If it still shows errors w/ the next pair, what should I do?

I did buy Crucial in the past with another system and never had a problem with it. I just want this pc to stop having bsods and WORK!!!

If you guys don’t mind helping me setup my system, let me know, I’d really appreciate it.

Now I just have to wait for the ram and until then, my system is just going to sit there, and I can’t do anything with it…

Pretty much any major brand works fine if you use stock sticks, when you go for low latency or high frequency which requires a voltage boost you usually get compatibility issues but that’s just my experience. It’s simply not worth it IMHO.
//Danne

@jusdafide. No need to worry. That memory should work fine. Have a look in your mobo manual, chapter 2 page 2-15 under DDR 800 and see if you can find your ram part number there. If not it may just take some tweaking becuase this is the only ram tested by Asus for your board. I have two Q6000 machines with Asus boards, one has 4 Gb of Crucial Ballistix PC-2 8500 and the other has 4GB of Mushkin XP-2 8500 Extreme performance. The Mushkin had lots of Bsod’s and no boot scenarios until I set it up properly. Mostly undervolted and my northbridge needed a bump in voltage. Like dizzy mentioned if you use stock sticks or ones on Asus’s QVL list you probably won’t have any issues. If you look at the pic you can see what Dizzy is talking about with latencies and voltage. There are a few to choose from with mine. The voltage is not written in stone but gives you a good place to start. Mine is currently @2.050v and runs fine. If your ram voltage is set to Auto you can use AI Suite to see what the voltage is set at once your are in windows.

[QUOTE=crossg;2072733]@jusdafide. No need to worry. That memory should work fine. Have a look in your mobo manual, chapter 2 page 2-15 under DDR 800 and see if you can find your ram part number there. If not it may just take some tweaking becuase this is the only ram tested by Asus for your board. I have two Q6000 machines with Asus boards, one has 4 Gb of Crucial Ballistix PC-2 8500 and the other has 4GB of Mushkin XP-2 8500 Extreme performance. The Mushkin had lots of Bsod’s and no boot scenarios until I set it up properly. Mostly undervolted and my northbridge needed a bump in voltage. Like dizzy mentioned if you use stock sticks or ones on Asus’s QVL list you probably won’t have any issues. If you look at the pic you can see what Dizzy is talking about with latencies and voltage. There are a few to choose from with mine. The voltage is not written in stone but gives you a good place to start. Mine is currently @2.050v and runs fine. If your ram voltage is set to Auto you can use AI Suite to see what the voltage is set at once your are in windows.[/QUOTE]

What does the second screen mean. When I had mine setup, the first screen you showed looked identical to mine. Except for the fsb:ram. I don’t know how or where to set that.

Isn’t the second screen recommended settings according to Jedec? I’m still waiting for my RMA from Newegg and since it’s the weekend, nothing’s happening with it…

I don’t think that my ram was setup wrong because it was getting the bsod when the settings were the same as your first screen. I went and read newegg’s reviews on my ram and most of the reviews said that they got “a bad stick.”

This really bothers me considering that newegg doesn’t provide an extension on Warranties on RMA’s. Also, I need to get a rebate and it has to be post marked by the 21st. Since I don’t have the ram in hand, I can’t get the bar code off the back and save thirty dollars. Everything about this scenario is stressing me out. I just hope that the next batch is not defective and that I can have stability so I can try out Crysis and use this great pc I built. It ranked 5.9 across the board on that windows test.