Brand new 851S + TY +R - v.high PI initially

Hey. As the subject says, I just got a new 851S today as an RMA return of my 811S. I burnt the bundled TY +R disc, and here’s the KProbe scan :

Why am I getting such a high PI spike in the beginning? Disc burnt with Nero 6.3.0.3, with bitsetting.

Lemme guess… you burned it at 8x? The high spike area looks a lot like the kind of PI spike that you get when burning the 4x region of a 8x burn.

Of course, this spike is VERY pronounced; not what I’d expect to see in a TY burn…

(should this be moved to the LiteOn forum?)

I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions based on one disc.
How is it doing with other media?

@rdgrimes : rather well,actually. Check out this scan of the bundled DVD-R disc, 4463MB movie backup :
Again, there’s a PI spike at the beginning. Maybe I should try a different firmware version?

@code65536 : Hi. Yep, it was an 8X burn… I was a bit worried about that PI spike.

The initial downward curve of errors is due to running power calibration adjusting the laser power to match the media. It’s a sign that the drive is not quite correct in it’s initial calibration for the media.

Oh,ok. Thanks for the explanation. That means that this is Lite-On’s problem,right? Will it “learn” the correct calibration for these discs now?

Originally posted by Bhairav
Will it “learn” the correct calibration for these discs now?

That’s a good question. Try it out. If subsequent burns turn out better than this, then the answer is yes. :slight_smile:

The LiteOn EEPROM changes after each burn. We don’t know why it does this, but one popular theory is that it “learns” as it goes along. This seems an unlikely theory (mostly because of how little data is stored in the EEPROM), but based on a few posts that I’ve seen, it seems that the EEPROM changes do seem to have an effect on burn quality. So maybe you could provide another data point to support or counter that theory. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by code65536
[B]That’s a good question. Try it out. If subsequent burns turn out better than this, then the answer is yes. :slight_smile:

The LiteOn EEPROM changes after each burn. We don’t know why it does this, but one popular theory is that it “learns” as it goes along. This seems an unlikely theory (mostly because of how little data is stored in the EEPROM), but based on a few posts that I’ve seen, it seems that the EEPROM changes do seem to have an effect on burn quality. So maybe you could provide another data point to support or counter that theory. :slight_smile: [/B]

Will do.But I have a problem… these TY and RitekG04 discs are not widely available here, the most prevalent discs are RicohJPNR01, of which I have 3-4 left. I’ll try 2-3 successive burns and them and test this “theory”.
BTW, isn’t Benq/Philips’ new “Walking OPC” technique supposed to be better than Lite-On’s?
It has the same function,right?

Okay, I burnt a RicohJPNR01 (Imation 4X +R) in the drive, at 8X (speedhacked… muchas gracias to code65536 on this one!), and here’s the scan :
Very nice, if I do say so myself ;). No initial spike in the PI values… weird.

EDIT : Damn image attachment acting up again :frowning: . Okay, PI avg is 3.341, PO avg. is 0.035 with a spike in the beginning, not as pronounced as in the TY DVD+R, only about 60. The second one I burnt is about the same, 4PI avg, and 0.09 PO avg, initial spike upto 50-55. Calibrated well for this media?

And here’s an MCC +RW disc, excellent quality :
2.4X,btw.