Branching and DVDRebuilder - need advice

vbimport

I’ve been trying to process a disc through DVDRebuilder (CCE). It uses branching and no matter what I do, the final result is a disc which seems to play normally on my DVDROM but causes severe anomalies (jumping, skipping, playing portions of the branch it’s not supposed to) on both my standalone DVD players (different brands and models).

At first I thought it might be a combination of other applications I use (VobBlanker, PgcEdit) that might be causing the issue, so now I’m just trying an otherwise untouched direct encoding of the full original disc (which plays normally on all my players) with DVDRebuilder only. Same results.

I already tried different DVDRebuilder versions (1.26.5, 1.26.6) and encoders (CCE, ProCoder2). Same results.

Adding insult to injury, If I do a simple transcoding of the very same original disc using DVDShrink, the resulting disc plays normally.

What can I do about setting DVDRebuilder in a way that allows it to deal with “difficult” branching discs such as this one, or is there a software alternative to allow me to encode this disc with either CCE or ProCoder2 ?

Any ideas and advice is much appreciated. I already spent far more of my personal time and money that I’d usually care for to encode a movie, and this has now become a matter of principle and pride :stuck_out_tongue:

Seamless branching and multiple angles have both historically been problems for reencoders (transcoders like DVD Shrink don’t “deconstruct” a DVD like reencoders do, which is why your DVD Shrink copy works properly). However, I was under the impression that DVD Rebuilder had no problems with branching/angles. The best advice that I can give you is to let jdobbs know about the problem and tell him exactly which DVD is causing the problem. He might be able to fix the problem with a new version of DVD Rebuilder.

Update to the latest version of DVD Rebuilder - 1.27.2.

What media are you using and what are you using to burn (at what speed?) the DVD?

I’m pretty sure it’s not media related as I use the same (high quality) media for everything, including that shrinked disc which works normally.

I haven’t tried DVD-RB 1.27.x yet… I’ll check the changelog to see if there’s been any advances branching wise.

AZImmortal, although I do own the original disc, is it ok to specify commercial movie names here or is that against forum rules ?

[quote=Kweldood;2018089]I’m pretty sure it’s not media related as I use the same (high quality) media for everything, including that shrinked disc which works normally.

I haven’t tried DVD-RB 1.27.x yet… I’ll check the changelog to see if there’s been any advances branching wise.

AZImmortal, although I do own the original disc, is it ok to specify commercial movie names here or is that against forum rules ?[/quote]
If you own the movie, you can discuss anything you like, including commercial movie names.:iagree:

For the sake of the thread, could you please answer my questions please?

And update to the latest DVD Rebuilder version.

Post your log and INI file. In the past, I have done lots of seamless branching stuff with DVDRB successfully.

If you want help from the author directly, go to the Official DVDRB forum.

Regards

I’m burning with Decrypter, using MCC004. As stated, that works fine with the shrinked disc and everything else I burn (including branching titles). All the same, I’ll definitely give it a go with Rebuilder 1.27.latest when I get the chance.

I’m afraid I’ve already deleted the log, but there wasn’t anything extraordinary on it, just the usual vanilla segment processing lines and the expected “Interleaving detected” entry. I’m using pretty much default options with no filters or extras.

Since it’s allowed, all this is happening with disc #3 (“archival” versions) of Blade Runner’s recent 4-version collector’s edition (PAL). Have you people successfully encoded disc #3 with all the branching in place ? I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s simply a DVD-RB limitation with some discs.

blutach, did you use any custom settings or a particular method that might somehow improve DVD-RB’s chances with branching or did the discs you encoded just happened not to give you any trouble ?

For what’s worth, here’s DVD-RB’s .ini :

[Options]
vts_min_size=0
Mode=1
OneClick=0
ReduceOpt=0
NoWarn=1
AdditionalOutput=1
LogFile=1
QuEncHQ=1
EncoderMinimized=1
RemoveDTS=0
HC_Quality=1
HC_Matrix=1
SkinVersion=12
AudioDub=1
QuEncodeType=0
iDCT=0
GOP=0
DCPrec=0
MainMatrix=Encoder Default
LowMatrix=Same as Main Feature
VLowMatrix=Same as Main Feature
ExtraMatrix=Same as Main Feature
ProCoder_Quality=4
DVD_Label=xxx
DVD_Name=xxx
MovieOnly=0
HalfD1=00
Convert_16_9=00
DisableInterlace=00
ConvertToYUY2=1
CCE=4
Skin=Rockas Original
HalfExtras=0
closed_captions=1
EncoderPriority=1
Completed=29
NewEditor=1
Encode_Menus=0
[Paths]
QuEnc=C:\Program Files\DVD-RB PRO\Encoders\QuEnc\QuEnc.exe
ReJig=C:\Program Files\DVD-RB PRO\Encoders\ReJig\ReJig.exe
HC=C:\Program Files\DVD-RB PRO\Encoders\HC Encoder\HCbatch.EXE
FFMPEG=C:\Program Files\DVD-RB PRO\Encoders\FFMpeg\ffmpeg.exe
CMDLINE=C:\Program Files\DVD-RB PRO\Encoders\CMDLINE\mencoder.bat
ProCoder=C:\Program Files\DVD-RB PRO\Encoders\EclPro\EclPro.exe
DECOMB=C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb521.dll
NICAUDIO=C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins
icaudio.dll
MPEG2DEC=C:\Program Files\DVD-RB PRO\DGDecode.dll
Working=xxx
Output=xxx
CCENew=C:\Program Files\Custom Technology\Cinema Craft Encoder SP2\ccew.exe
CCEBasic=C:\Program Files\Custom Technology\Cinema Craft Encoder SP2\ccew.exe
CCE250=C:\Program Files\Custom Technology\Cinema Craft Encoder SP2\ccew.exe
Source=xxx
[Audio]
Selected=1
Remapping=
[Subpictures]
Selected=1
[CCEOptions]
VBR_bias=25
Quality_prec=16
eclPasses=6

Thanks again.

No, I didn’t use any special setting and DVD Rebuilder handles seamless and non-seamless branching just fine - at least for me.

Without the log it’s a bit hard. What you might try to do is look at the flags for the segments - use PgcEdit for this. Are they the same - especially in the ILVU segments.

I don’t have this disk, so I can’t try it out for you. Sorry. If you decide to re-encode this (even in 1 pass OPV), post a log.

One final question - tell me about the rip. What was used? Did it go OK? Any special protections?

Regards