ABC News: Hollywood, BitTorrent Reach AgreementABC News Home November 22, 2005

ABC News
Hollywood, BitTorrent Reach AgreementHollywood Negotiates Deal With BitTorrent
Software to Reduce Illegal Traffic for Online Movies
By TED BRIDIS Associated Press Writer
The Associated Press
WASHINGTON Nov 22, 2005 — Hollywood negotiated an agreement Tuesday with the
creator of BitTorrent software, popular for downloading pirated movies over the
Internet, in a deal aimed at reducing illegal traffic in online films. :rolleyes:
The agreement requires 30-year-old software designer Bram Cohen to prevent his
Web site, bittorrent.com, from locating pirated versions of popular movies,
effectively frustrating people who search for illegal copies of films, :rolleyes: according
to executives familiar with the deal.
These people spoke only on condition of anonymity because details of the
agreement between the major studios and Cohen were being announced later Tuesday
in Los Angeles.

The agreement represents the latest effort by the entertainment industry to
discourage illegal Internet downloads. It also demonstrates Cohen’s sensitivity :eek:
toward Hollywood’s piracy problems, making him potentially more attractive to
studios for future deals related to movie downloads.
Cohen disclosed in September his company had raised $8.75 million in venture
funding to develop commercial distribution tools for media companies.
The BitTorrent technology pioneered by Cohen and used by an estimated 45 million
people assembles digital movies and other computer files from separate bits of
data downloaded from other computer users across the Internet. Its decentralized
nature makes downloading more efficient but also frustrates the entertainment
industry’s efforts to find and identify movie pirates.
The agreement with Cohen would not prevent determined Internet users from
finding movies or other materials using tools or Web sites other than Cohen’s, :iagree:
but it removes one of the most convenient methods people have used. :confused:
On the Net:
BitTorrent: http://www.bittorrent.com
Motion Picture Association: http://www.mpaa.org

:disagree:

Thanks for the news :wink:

I remember hearing discussions before between the BitTorrent author and the media a while back about how he did not intend BitTorrent to be used as it is today for distributing copyrighted movies, games, software, etc. about the Internet, but instead as a means for efficiently distributing large files such as Linux ISO images without requiring hosting providers with a huge backbone. Then again, for him it was better to try and fight piracy rather than to effectively support it and face major legal issues. :rolleyes:

I think I’m not alone in saying that I have NEVER used Bram’s site to search for a torrent. Any torrent. Of any kind.

So no great loss.

Hey, can I cut a deal with Hollywood? For an undisclosed sum of money, I promise to never EVER let anyone search IN MY ANAL CAVITY for a Hollywood film in digital form. Or analogue. Or at all, really. Except my proctologist, but the HMO will pay the appropriate royalties in that event.

Hey, can I cut a deal with Hollywood? For an undisclosed sum of money, I promise to never EVER let anyone search IN MY ANAL CAVITY for a Hollywood film in digital form. Or analogue. Or at all, really. Except my proctologist, but the HMO will pay the appropriate royalties in that event.

Sighn me up for that deal…

I remember seeing his site once…maybe it was him hitting me up for 5 bucks or maybe just his site sucked but anyways I never even knew he had a search feature… Must of been of little use