BQFlasher

vbimport

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum vws. :clap:
All you need can be found in this thread, Post #1,11 & 12.

Great and thanks a lot, Zebadee! I visited the suggested thread and have a couple of questions about your #12 post:

1. Is the MCSE speedpatch really [B]required[/B] for OEM DW1655? What happens if we don’t use that after our WinDWFlash with the BCDB.cvt file?

2. I also visited ala42’s thread. After a little reading I learned that the most recent MCSE release is v1.0.8.4. on 12-Mar-2006. Please confirm this is the latest version suitable for use on OEM DW1655.

Thanks again for your help!

wvs, no you don’t have to use ala42s MCSE. SolidBurn/OverSpeed should do pretty much the same thing. You can use it if you want the speedread feature of MCSE(useful for ripping). Yes, 1.0.8.4 is the latest version. I’d suggest getting the flash to 1655 sorted first. Once you’ve done that see if your happy with all the features that QSuite gives, if you are then you need look no further. If not try & post your query in the relevant thread. ie If you want anymore info on MCSE goto that thread. You’ll probably get quicker/more response that way.

Edit:BTW wvs, I’ve just checked & in my previous post it should have read posts # 1,10 &11. Sorry about that.

Thanks Zebadee for your advice. I think my crossflash failed. Just now I used WinDWFlash with the CVT firmware from the thread. The WinDWFlash did successfully flash my OEM DW1655 as shown in post #11 in your thread, however, after that and numerous system restarts, every time I insert a DVD or CD in the drive, the windows freezes up completely - only the hardware reset button can restart the system back. And once it’s restarted with the media still in, then the system can not boot into the windows. And in that case, the mobo BIOS indicates that the drive is not detected as well.

I have to remove the media during a short period while the reset button just pressed, in order for the system to boot back again. Looks like it’s a horrible flash. Any idea to fix this up?

Try to reflash with .exe firmware in windoze, if still nogo, uninstall (in devicemanager) the IDE channel drive is connected to. Restart.

If this doesn’t help start a new thread with full hardware/software details, ie. Nero InfoTool output in [ code ] ****** [ /code ] tags.
Don’t forget to remove Nero serial #.

Thanks for the new tips. It got me somewhere, although finally the drive still crashes the whole system when any CD/DVD media is in.

Here’s my story. I have a NF2 chipset based mobo (Abit AN7) which uses nVidia ATA/IDE driver. I took the advice and “roll back” the driver to Windows’ default IDE driver, and restart the system to the Safe Mode. There, I could finally see BQFlasher detect my OEM BenQ DW1655 all right (so looks like it’s getting somewhere.)

In the Safe Mode, I carefully checked Primary/Secondary IDE DMA settings on Device Manager, and verified that all drives were set to the “PIO Mode”, i.e. no DMA is enabled at any channel. Then I used BQFlasher to cross flash the BCDB.exe firmware. After it is done, I shut down the computer, and turn back on to the normal windows mode. Inserted a DVD movie, then the system froze up just like before.

I reboot it and removed the the DVD, and let windows boot into the Safe Mode again. Again I verified the PIO Mode setting, but this time I would like to try direct firmware flashing with the BCDB.exe alone. The direct flashing was done successfully, and I reboot the windows into normal mode. After windows was up, I inserted a music CD and the system still got locked up as usual.

At this point I strongly suspect this OEM BenQ itself is defective, although there is no way I could prove that. The retailer (I/O Magic) does not provide their own ‘touched’ firmware to the public, hence I am stuck. If someone would help me out with the Nero Info details, where should I start the thread and ask?

Thanks for your time.

Got to go out now. On call for work. However try this. (pics 1&2) You can link this post by clicking on right hand corner & copy shortcut. (pic 3) then folow (pics 4 & 5) good luck. If you’ve had no response by the time I get back I’ll try & help then.

Thanks very much Zebadee for your step-by-step guidance. As a complete newbie to this forum, I could feel the warm welcome (when I am out in the cold with these headaches!) from forum veterans like you! :slight_smile:

Now I just started a new thread with my question. Hopefully I’ve made it easy for anyone who wants to help. Here’s the thread link: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=175229

Really appreciated! :clap:

Does BQFlasher only work with Windows XP?

I get a windows exception error when I try to run this in Windows 98SE.

Need a little help.

I’m trying to get my Plextor 750 to a Benq 1650 but the flasher wont seem to work. The search feature seem to be down or having problems so its making it hard to find the answer. Any help would be great.

the Plextor 750 is based on the panasonic chip, not the philips that the 1650 has, so i dont think that this is possible.

After scratching about a little more I think its the Benq DQ60 which is what I didn’t want. I guess I should have did more homework.

Hi all, i just received a brand new Philips 1660 burner with the latest original firmware (P1.4)
I was wondering if i can crossflash my 1660 —> Benq 1650 (BCDC original firmware) …
I’m just reading that a crossflash should be possible, but my question is:
can I go back to philips firmware again? (with .exe files?, i don’t know what .cvt files are).

Thanx in advance!!

Welcome to the forum. The answer is yes you can crossflash your Philips 1660 to a BenQ 1650 & back again. With Quikee’s BQFlasher you can use either .exe(f/w with built in launcher) or .cvt(f/w only, needs flashing tool). See here.
Philips 1660 f/w.
You might want to have a look at this.

You wouldn’t happen to know where I could find the TEAC-516E firmware?

You’ve got some here. However I don’t think Quikees BQFlasher will work with this f/w. I don’t know of any .cvt files either.

First of all,
thanx to Zebadee for his precious help :slight_smile:
I made it, i flashed successfully my 1660 to BenQ 1650 so… thank you all!

@Zebadee
I saw your topic in which you crossflashed philips firmware in benq drive.
If I understood your suggestion is to leave the philips with its firmware and NOT crossflash it… i’m wrong?

Yes & no. Basically what I meant here was that the Philips 1660 when compared to previous Philips drives. Was that if concerns over warranty etc then to stick with the 1660 with default setting ‘SB enabled for all media’. If I thought that the 1660 was that good I wouldn’t have bothered flashing back to a BenQ.

[I]off topic.[/I]

The question is not if Philips firmware are this and that much better than BenQ firmware, or BenQ firmwares are this and that better, because for the “average” use the difference (if any) is not even notable.
And many firmware versions are just the same for Philips and BenQ drives.

I’ve crossflashed my BenQ’s to Philips firmware in a extent not that many done here, and I must say all this talk about BenQ firmwares being superior over Philips is just a myth.
Ofcourse, you gain PI/PIF scanning ability and some other not that important funtoys functions when on BenQ firmwares, but that doesn’t make the firmware (or drive) any better.
All the QS99 that my drives managed on BenQ firmware they also managed this on Philips. Don’t think Philips166*/BenQ165* drives are any different.

Note, SolidBurn (SB) can also be governed with ease on Philips “SB” drives.

BTW, any safe crossflash should be done in DOZ and/or with firmware in .cvt format.

[I]Finally,[/I] BQFlash is a great tool and it’s not my intention to take anything away from Quikee’s great achievement. :slight_smile: