BQ DW1655 poor support for DL media?

I get crappy results with DL media with dw1655 BCDB. Does this burner have proper support for DL media? Here is a screen shot of Verbatim +R DL media in Qsuite.

I get unknown for Verbatim +R DL

Unlike TY SL media…

If you press the check button on this screen nothing happens…

Does dw1655 BCDB have bad support for DL media? How do you find out what media is supported?

QSuite reports nonsense for RW and DL media. MKM 001 is supported of course. The is a thread on the first page with 1655 DL results. Just have a look.

The problem is BenQ has still done nothing about the problem. If you buy a retail drive and upgrade to the latest BCDB your still stuck at only 2.4x with a Verbatim 8x Certified DL+ DVD. Sure there are work arounds that can be applied to the drive to fix the problem and you can get up to 6x speed but that’s not really what a customer who bought a product that sports 8x DVD+DL speeds wants to do.

I’m not supper pissed that it doesn’t work because I rarely write to DL media, but it is a bit disappointing that BenQ is taking so long to fix this problem that they are very aware of.

I don’t see it as a problem if a drive manufacturer doesn’t want to support a media higher than it’s certified speed.

If you buy a retail drive and upgrade to the latest BCDB your still stuck at only 2.4x with a Verbatim 8x Certified DL+ DVD.
Nope. Verbatim 8x Certified DVD+R DL (MKM003) is supported at 8x. See here.

If you’re talking about MKM001 (Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL) then I don’t see anywhere in the package that says it’s certified at 8x. The only thing I see is an orange sticker on the package (3pack or 10pack) that says: “APPROVED for high speed burning with compatible 4x/5x speed DVD+R DL drives”.

but that’s not really what a customer who bought a product that sports 8x DVD+DL speeds wants to do.
Again BenQ 1655 supports 8x DVD+R DL on a right media (MKM003, RITEK008, among others).

However, I do like to see it supported MKM001 at 8x though. :wink: