BPI: Over 1 billion illegal songs downloaded in 2010

vbimport

BPI: Over 1 billion illegal songs downloaded in 2010.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/12/nTQ0Gj.jpg[/newsimage]The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) is now claiming that more than one billion songs were downloaded by UK files sharers in 2010, saying not enough is being done to prevent peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing.  The British copyright group hopes ISPs will hold users accountable, especially if court-issued subpoenas are sent out requiring ISPs to turn over information.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/bpi-over-1-billion-illegal-songs-downloaded-in-2010-37819/](http://www.myce.com/news/bpi-over-1-billion-illegal-songs-downloaded-in-2010-37819/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

good

so where did the figures come from? do they really think that shutting down the internet, which is basically what they want to do, is the answer? the money they MAY be losing is insignificant compared to what will be lost if thousands of customers are disconnected. get real, please!!!

Here another no brainer …

Judge Birss then went on to present ACS:Law with a verdict that equates to an epic fail for the firm: “In two cases it appears the defendant is in default, in three others there is simply no evidence proceedings have been served and I refuse to find that they have been and in the final three cases the defendant has responded to the claim, filed a defense and is not in default at all,” Birss stated.
Needless to say, there likely won’t be many people shedding a tear over this blow to ACS:Law. Hopefully, the SRA has filed this away so they can bring it up at Crossly’s disciplinary hearing in a few months.

They still don’t get it do they…no matter what they do they still loose in the end … what a bunch of pansies…those GREEDY ceo are…they can’t seem to use the online model to benefit them so they do what they can to shut it down…and all it benefits are the pirates and illegal p2p sites…like that can of worms going to be closed up now are we…

Hey, the songs weren’t illegal, just the way the people got them were. I wonder if some of these money hungry snot bags ever considered they effect of the world masses getting songs that they may have never been allowed to hear before or had access to. Then again, maybe that’s what they are worried about. Reminds me of the movie with Charles Lawton, “Ruggles of Red Gap”, when he discovered he could be his own man, no longer a servant.

While listening to the radio today, the presenter was talking just how much money was being collected in performance royalties, such as what clubs, DJs, broadcasters, etc. must play to play copyrighted music and it was just incredible the money involved. For example, if I recall right, George Michael made something like £800,000 in performance royalties on the song “Last Christmas” alone in 2009. If the artist got this much, I’d wonder just how much the label got who only passes a tiny fraction on to the artist. Good grief, I’m sure anyone would love to carry out a piece of work once, then sit back and relax over the years as the cheques come in. For the average person, if they lose their job, they don’t get a cent further from all their work they may have carried out over the years with that company.

As I mentioned many times before, it’s time now that song downloads become freely downloadable promotional material, as it’s coming to the stage where it is practically impossible to stop illegal downloading of music! There are so many other ways artists can make money. First freely distribute the song to promote it and get it well known and as long as it’s a song people are interested in, clubs, discos, broadcasters will perform it, which will earn the artist money on royalties and of course the artists can reap in huge profits from concerts and collector items to go along with it.

[QUOTE=kevpc;2563783]so where did the figures come from? do they really think that shutting down the internet, which is basically what they want to do, is the answer? the money they MAY be losing is insignificant compared to what will be lost if thousands of customers are disconnected. get real, please!!![/QUOTE]

They have totally lost sight of reality and that is the problem. I doubt there is any factual basis for their numbers and I know their claims of losses due to downloading are total BS. Typical lawyer tactic, exagerate damages to influence decisions abd public opinion. There problem is, they do it do ofter and are proven to do so often that no one with a brain believes them anymore.

Like most such claims their “Stastics” are… anal extracted numerology.
(they pulled them out of their ass)

I think the best example is the South Park episode where they are commenting on how sad it is that Lars Ulrich would be unable to buy a THIRD Jet because of lost royalties from downloaded music.

AD