BPI announced that it will not sue anyone for personal copying

vbimport

I just posted the article BPI announced that it will not sue anyone for personal copying.

In Britain, 

anyone who has copied music they purchased for their own personal use such as to an iPod has been technically guilty of copyright infringement. With consumers ditching their…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11943-BPI-announced-that-it-will-not-sue-anyone-for-personal-copying.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11943-BPI-announced-that-it-will-not-sue-anyone-for-personal-copying.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

wtf?? 50 years discriminates against recording artists? I call BS!! tell me when yer 75+ years old and an ex musicinan and you finally lose out on your royalty payments that you will even know what they were or even be alive to notice it. At 95 years the only people that the enlongthend copyright benefits is the media cartels. That is, if they last that long even with all the moronic business plans they have.

The music industry is backwards and by no means are the doing us a favor. Last time I bought a cd I didn’t realize their was a EULA or ‘Fair-Use’ clause attached. Realistically there is no difference whether I choose to listen to music portably in a CD player or mp3 player. In fact, the music industry should encourage mp3’s as a convenient alternative to carrying cumbersome portable CD players and discs, it just may inspire people to BUY more albums since they can take many more on the go in mp3 form. The RIAA has soured music, and sapped most of the pleasure and enjoyment attributed to art. I can’t help but feel guilty anytime I consume music. If I stole it I didn’t support the greedy industry If I bought it I did. If I stole it I didn’t support the artist If I bought it I did.

Why isn’t Apple being sued for its monopoly?

This is the BPI, not the RIAA and this is also for Briatain only, it does not affect the rest of the world (i.e. the RIAA still believes that copying a CD to an MP3 player is illegal). Also, the US already has copyrights to protect the artist 75 years AFTER their death. In the US, copyright law says that the artist is entitled to royalties from copyrighted material for their entire life + 75 years. It is different, but only slightly, for corporate copyrights, which are good for 75 years “only”. Which is the problem with the RIAA, if you release music through one of the labels, they own it and they can “only” collect on it for 75 years. And, in the US, this keeps getting pushed back. Technically, had the previous law still been in effect (which protected corporate copyrights for 50 years and individual copyrights for life + 50) then Mickey Mouse would be public domain. The fact that Disney pushed real hard for this last round of copy right extensions led to the law being called the “Mickey Mouse Copyright law”.:r

“This is the BPI, not the RIAA and this is also for Briatain only, it does not affect the rest of the world (i.e. the RIAA still believes that copying a CD to an MP3 player is illegal).” Doesn’t really matter from a law standpoint. Because as far as I understand in Britain it’s also illegal to copy/backup stuff. All BPI said they won’t go after ppl who do this. But they could if they wanted to/changed their mind. I don’t really see a difference.

Actually, corporate copyrights are in force for 95 years. (We’ll see what happens when the Disney stuff gets near expiration again.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bono_Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

and it’s not far away when rolling stones gets expired:+ or the beatles
[edited by n3r0 on 08.06.2006 19:22]

LOOOOL @ n3r0

How ****ing magnanimous of them. It’s not as if anyone with a brain ever needed their permission to copy their purchase for personal use since the tape deck came out. Morons.

BPI are our friends. :d Lets face it, they wouldn’t stand a chance if they chased every person who ever made a duplicate to listen in a car, personal player or on a pc. That would include almost everyone in the UK, The courts would meltdown, and real criminals wouldn’t even get a hearing.
[edited by gazjon on 09.06.2006 19:19]