Bought Two 100-Pack Memorex DVD-R 16X For $14.99 + Tax

vbimport

So I bought the two packs. One pack turned out to be MCC01RG20 from Mitsubishi Chemicals Corporation and was made in Taiwan.

The other spindle turned out to be CMCMAGAM3 from CMC Magnetics also made in Taiwan.

The MCC is Verbatim right? And therefore better than the CMC. i’m planning on returning the CMC and picking up another MCC.

Good choice or no?

BTW: You can tell which is which by looking at the little plastic/styrofoam circles at the top of the spindle. If there are 4, it is CMC, if there are 3, then its MCC.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The MCC 01RG20 is 4x media :)…so either the discs are 4x, or did you mean MCC 03RG20?

I have some Memorex CMC MAG. AM3 here - while they’re not as good quality-wise as the same MID under brands like Infiniti or TDK, they’re still OK playback-wise if burned at 8x. I’d probably swap them as well in your shoes though.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2184067]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The MCC 01RG20 is 4x media :)…so either the discs are 4x, or did you mean MCC 03RG20?

I have some Memorex CMC MAG. AM3 here - while they’re not as good quality-wise as the same MID under brands like Infiniti or TDK, they’re still OK playback-wise if burned at 8x. I’d probably swap them as well in your shoes though.[/QUOTE]

Yes, my mistake :confused:. This should be better:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Ahhh, that makes more sense :slight_smile:

Well, personally I haven’t known any fake MCC under the Memorex brand (assuming you bought the discs from a reputable retailer?), so I would go ahead and swap the remaining spindle :slight_smile:

JMO, though, having used the Memorex AM3’s myself. Someone else might come along and persuade you to keep them, though. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2184079]Ahhh, that makes more sense :slight_smile:

Well, personally I haven’t known any fake MCC under the Memorex brand (assuming you bought the discs from a reputable retailer?), so I would go ahead and swap the remaining spindle :slight_smile:

JMO, though, having used the Memorex AM3’s myself. Someone else might come along and persuade you to keep them, though. ;)[/QUOTE]

K :iagree:

And I bought them from Wal-Mart…if you want to call that a reputable retailer…:smiley:

Yep, MKM discs under the Memorex brand should be genuine. Verbatim may have decided that the discs weren’t of a good enough quality to brand as Verbatim/Mitsubishi, or something of that sort, and CMC or Prodisc went ahead and used them for Memorex discs. [Moser Baer has done the same thing; I have a few Memorex-branded MCC 004 by them].

CMC MAG AM3…if you can burn a few at 16x [as a test!] without issue and with a decent quality scan and no issues with playback [or whatever your preferred use is], then I’d say they’re good. They’re usually OK, but if you can find some more definite MCC 03RG20, I’d snatch them up.

MCC under Memorex at Wal-Mart?! WTF?! The world is coming to an end.

Are you in Canada? I’ve never seen anything like that in the states, but Albert seems to have run into it before.

My goodness. :eek:

A Christmas miracle, CDFreaks style, perhaps? :bigsmile:

I consider it a miracle that you got anything decent (MCC) under the Memorex brand.

I used to get MCC 004 inkjet printables in Memorex packs but was never lucky enough to get MCC 03RG20.

I have not looked at Memorex packs for a while do they have a paper sleeve on top or can you see the Hub?

Some packs have paper inserts on the top. In these, however, the insert is only a half-circle, so there’s a chance you can see the hub codes if you can get the insert to move a bit.

Other [older? newer?] packs don’t have the insert, so you can see hub codes clearly.

It helps to know about the number of spacers/color of spacers thing when checking Memorex out, doesn’t it? :bigsmile:

Has anyone else had the chance to look at cake packs to see if they can read the hub codes?

I will be heading to OfficeMax Saturday (though Memorex are not on sale) I will have a look around regardless :slight_smile: