Bought my first Benq Drive today (1620)

vbimport

HI im new to this area in the cdfreaks forum and i have a few questions about the 1620.

1.Are there any useful tools for Benq drives ?
2. Whats the best tool to measure the error rate of an DVD ?
3. should i use my old liteon 832 for error measurement in combi with the benq drive ?

1. What media is the best for the Benq drive ?

(burned my first disc with the drive it was a Verbatim 8x DVD+R Printable (burned at 12x no label that says 12x compatible) looks great with cd-dvd Speed except the little mountain on the end but still works good.

I think that was all for the moment my System specs are the following:

Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date                                              2005-03-26
Time                                              14:53

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
  Computer Type                                     ACPI-Uniprozessor-PC
  Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Professional
  OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2
  Internet Explorer                                 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
  DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
  Date / Time                                       2005-03-26 / 14:53

Motherboard:
  CPU Type                                          AMD Athlon XP, 1466 MHz (11 x 133) 1700+
  Motherboard Name                                  Asus A7N8X v2.0 Deluxe  (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 3 DDR DIMM, Dual LAN, IEEE-1394)
  Motherboard Chipset                               nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
  System Memory                                     512 MB  (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
  BIOS Type                                         Award (08/04/04)
  Communication Port                                Kommunikationsanschluss (COM1)
  Communication Port                                Kommunikationsanschluss (COM2)
  Communication Port                                ECP-Druckeranschluss (LPT1)

Display:
  Video Adapter                                     SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600 ATLANTIS - Secondary  (256 MB)
  Video Adapter                                     SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600 ATLANTIS  (256 MB)
  3D Accelerator                                    ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)
  Monitor                                           LG CS778DC  [17" CRT]  (90016843009)

Multimedia:
  Audio Adapter                                     nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Codec Interface
  Audio Adapter                                     nVIDIA MCP2 - Audio Processing Unit (Dolby Digital)

Storage:
  IDE Controller                                    NVIDIA nForce2 ATA Controller (v2.6)
  SCSI/RAID Controller                              A347SCSI SCSI Controller
  Floppy Drive                                      Diskettenlaufwerk
  Disk Drive                                        SAMSUNG SP1203N  (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
  Disk Drive                                        Maxtor 6Y160P0  (160 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
  Optical Drive                                     AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device  (Virtual DVD-ROM)
  Optical Drive                                     BENQ DVD DD DW1620  (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:16x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
  Optical Drive                                     HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B  (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
  SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
  C: (NTFS)                                         10236 MB (3849 MB free)
  D: (NTFS)                                         104249 MB (80730 MB free)
  E: (NTFS)                                         156332 MB (63534 MB free)

Input:
  Keyboard                                          Standardtastatur (101/102 Tasten) oder Microsoft Natural Keyboard (PS/2)
  Mouse                                             HID-compliant MouseMan Dual Optical
  Game Controller                                   Microsoft-PC-Joysticktreiber

Network:
  Primary IP Address                                192.168.1.10
  Primary MAC Address                               00-0C-6E-FA-44-88
  Network Adapter                                   NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller  (192.168.1.10)

Peripherals:
  Printer                                           \\HOME-89PWX7A7Q3\hp deskjet 3420 series
  Printer                                           Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
  USB1 Controller                                   nVIDIA MCP2 - OHCI USB Controller
  USB1 Controller                                   nVIDIA MCP2 - OHCI USB Controller
  USB2 Controller                                   nVIDIA MCP2 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
  USB Device                                        Logitech RumblePad 2 USB
  USB Device                                        USB MouseMan Dual Optical

DMI:
  DMI BIOS Vendor                                   Phoenix Technologies, LTD
  DMI BIOS Version                                  ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1008
  DMI System Manufacturer                           ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  DMI System Product                                A7N8X2.0
  DMI System Version                                REV 2.xx
  DMI System Serial Number                          xxxxxxxxxxx
  DMI Motherboard Manufacturer                      ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  DMI Motherboard Product                           A7N8X2.0
  DMI Motherboard Version                           REV 2.xx
  DMI Motherboard Serial Number                     xxxxxxxxxxx
  DMI Chassis Manufacturer                          Chassis Manufactture
  DMI Chassis Version                               Chassis Version
  DMI Chassis Serial Number                         Chassis serial Number
  DMI Chassis Asset Tag                             Asset-1234567890
  DMI Chassis Type                                  Desktop Case
  DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets                   3 / 2

Oh another question i forgot is it possible to flash an 1620 non pro to a pro ?
If possible who do i flash it to an pro ?

Just flash any firmware from B7P9 onwards and it becomes a 1620 Pro, I’d recommend B7T9 instead of B7U9 at least to get familiar with the drive first.

You can use Qscan and BenQ’s booktype management tool with B7P9/B7T9/B7U9

You can use the Qsuite which is the above two tools plus some other stuff only with B7U9 at the moment.

ala42’s MCSE is also compatabile with this drive allowing the swapping of write strategys and the removal of media read speed limits.

You get a 1620 Pro by flashing firmware B7P9 o higher (T9,U9) (assuming you have a retail 1620).

I don’t have a Benq so I did a search which works well you may want to try it. :slight_smile: Keep it in mind if a flash goes wrong your drive is toast :eek: never mind you void your warranty. Other than that good luck. :slight_smile:
Thanks to DVD_ADDICT you may have an answer to one of your questions. :slight_smile:

He already has a retail drive from the text output he posted BENQ DVD DD DW1620

He doesnt need to use the WinDWflash and .cvt files, just download the firmwares from BenQ’s website and your good to go.

BenQ 1620/Pro Firmwares

Thanks for the fast help i flashed my drive now to b7t9 and it works flawless so far.

Oh may i ask what the difference is between b7t9 and b7u9 ?

So far i read qtool (qsuite doesnt work with pre b7u9 firmware) is it true ?

Oh i forgot to write that it is an retail drive here i cant get cheaper bulk versions the shops dont sell them.

The main difference between T and U firmware is improvement in write strategies, mostly for dash media.

You can use QScan1.0 on firmwares prior to U.

:smiley:

B7U9 has a (not sure how to word this properly) over cautious/aggressive WOPC algorithm which means when you try to burn media at speeds faster then their rated speed (or sometimes even its rated speed) it will in some cases override your “choice” and burn it at a lower speed even if the media can take a higher speed.

I think the idea was to allow over speeding of media but also protect you from media that can’t take the speed but the WOPC in B7U9 is rather touchy and so holds you back more often that not so a lot of people have stuck with B7T9

For example with B7U9 I have seen;
MKM 001 DVD+R DL burn at 2.4x instead of 4x
OPTODISC 0R8 DVD+R burn at 4x instead of its rated 8x
MCC 02RG20 DVD-R burn at 8x instead of 12x

Even though all of the above burn just fine at those speeds with B7T9…

As for QSuite that doesn’t work with anything else except B7U9 at the moment, I dunno what the situation around that is I think someone is working on a hacked version that runs with other firmware or BenQ might release another QSuite compatible firmware without it’s “Tweaked WOPC algorithm” wait and see I guess :confused:

Oh ic ok now i know that the qscan thingie works but the qsuite works only with b7u9 and later did my first scan with the mentioned media above (MCC 003 not 12x compatible but its there in the selection from nero i tested 8x and 12x with it) and i must say it works out with 8x the measurements looking good but with 12x it gets higher on the end.
Great tool never imagined that someone would build a tool what i can use for measuring empty discs (dreamed of something like this ) :bow: