Bought LiteOn 401S, need help!

So I just bought this 401S and see on the LiteOn website that it support DVD-RW in addition to DVD+RW, but there isn’t a firmware supporting DVD-RW. When a downloadable version of the 411S firmware is released can I just flash my drive while using the LntFlash (Googled it. :)) utility to backup my old firmware and update the new one?

Thanks!

-Por

[b]EDIT for New Title: Should I return my current drive (DVD+RW) spend an additional $15 to get a Dual-Format Optorite? Would the savings by using - media be worth it? I will be using this burner to make backups and make movies to play in at least my Samsung DVD Player and hopefully others.

What do you think I should do? If I return without a legitimate reason and they test the drive I might get a 15% restocking fee.

-Por[/b]

No, your drive is an LDW-401S, not an LDW-411S. Don’t forget that.

It can read DVD-R/RW discs, but cannot write them since it is a single format burner.

Originally posted by dhc014
[B]No, your drive is an LDW-401S, not an LDW-411S. Don’t forget that.

It can read DVD-R/RW discs, but cannot write them since it is a single format burner. [/B]

I understand that part, I have been reading the threads here on that topic. My question is, when a downloadable version of a 411S firmware is released can I flash my 401S to be able to support Dual-Formats? According to the threads here they are the same drive/chipset/etc, only differing in firmware because of Lite-On not wanting to pay DVD-RW royalties on two models instead of one.

-Por

No, there’s a whole lot more to it. The upgrade has already been tried without success.

Originally posted by dhc014
No, there’s a whole lot more to it. The upgrade has already been tried without success.

Oh no. I bought this thinking I could flash it… Dang… Well I hope DVD+RW makes it alright.

-Por

Well, Im going to get some DVD+RW media tommorow to make sure it works in my DVD Player.

Should I try to return and get a Dual-Format burner and save the cost in DVD-RW media in the long run?

Thanks!

-Por

EDIT: See first post for second title edit. Anyone?

There are a lot of people successfully flashed they s401 drive and make it support dvd-r.

If you read Chinese, you can go http://forum.pcdvd.com.tw/
and find the info you need.