Bought Doom 3, now what?

vbimport

Daemon v3.46 installed. Alcohol 1.9.2 build 1705 installed. I am trying to back these 3 disks up as .iso files in my gaming drive, but I keep getting read errors in alcohol, no matter what drive I try it in. Am I missing something? I’m fairly new to backup up games to .iso. I’ve done everything i’ve read in the forums, but I keep getting these read errors. I’ve tried the safedisk profil, i’ve tried the safedisk 2/3 profile, but I can’t make these to .iso. the game installs from the cd’s fine, but I just wanna back em up as .iso cause I back everything up. Suggestions? thanks in advance. glad to be here

Doom 3 has SafeDisc as the copy protection. This means that the read errors should be there. I would change from using ISO to alcohol’s native format as the ISO format doesn’t store any of the copy protection infomation which means it is bascially useless.

I agree that you should use Alcohol 120%'s native format, however .iso will work just fine for Doom3.

Cheers

so use safedisk 2/3 profile, and use the .mds file type? is that the native format? And I can just ignore the read errors?

Use SafeDisc 2/3 profile don’t change anything in the reading and writing options, use slow speed like 4x for reading and writing and .MDS is Alcohol native format. Good luck :).

p.s. can you list all your drives, would be some help for us.

Ok i’ve set it on the 2/3 profile and changed the read speed to 4x. But still the progress just stays at 1% and I get consisnet read errors. Again, do I need to ignore the read errors? Does this normally take forever? Here are my system specs.

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 1 To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor a Main Circuit Board
2400 megahertz Intel Pentium 4 (2 installed)
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S800D-E Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1002.001 01/06/2004
Drives Memory Modules
493.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
259.44 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

AXV CD/DVD-ROM 2.2a [CD-ROM drive]
DM166D DVD-ROM [CD-ROM drive]
Generic DVD-ROM 1.0 [CD-ROM drive]
PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4012A [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6Y080P0 (81.96 GB) [Hard drive] – drive 0
Maxtor 6Y080P0 (81.96 GB) [Hard drive] – drive 2
ST380021A (80.03 GB) [Hard drive] – drive 1
WDC WD2500BB-00DWA0 (137.44 GB) [Hard drive] – drive 3 512 Megabytes Installed Memory
512 Megabyte Module Size - 1 Installed
3 Memory Sockets are Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 81.95 GB 51.71 GB free
d: (on drive 1) 80.02 GB 54.30 GB free
g: (on drive 2) 81.96 GB 28.95 GB free
i: (on drive 3) 250.06 GB 124.48 GB free

You need to ignore the read errors. These errors are absolutely normal for that kind of protection. They usually end at 3%. Depending on your reading drive this may take a few minutes or some houres.

thas what I needed. I was assuming the read errors would go away once I was running the protection emulator. I got em all backed up fine now. thanks all. looking forward to posting and reading and learning here

Can someone tell me what exactly the 2/3 profile is? Is it a profile that comes with Alcohol? 0_o

yes “safedisk 2/3” is a profile that comes with alcohol 120%

I did some tests with this very nice game (already completed in “marine mode”) with good results :wink:

The objective was again a damned safedisk 3.20.xx :a

I used clonecd 5.0 to read at full speed with an ultraplex 40x using “safedisk profile”; for writing I used Alcohol 120% v1.92.xx at full speed using an old plexwriter PX-W8220T over “safedisk profile”. The backup worked in all devices without probs as usual :bigsmile:

PS: Plexwriter PX-R820T works perfect with this game too :iagree:

Ahhh, there is no such “SafeDisc 2/3” profile in Alcoholer or Alcohol 120%:

@Plexwriter: How much did you buy your plexwriter for and with what currency?

@Parker, sorry.

uhm…

sence? don’t use alcoholer and just use alcohol 120%'s datatype profile

Damn, it doesn’t have SafeDisc 2/3 in there either. :sad:

Would it be my version of Alcohol? My current one is 1.4.6.711

Sorry to double post again but I just realized 2/3 was in a higher version of Alcohol. lol

I should be getting this game soon, so for future reference, and to sum up this thread, I use alchohol 120% with the SafeDisc 2/3 profile and read/burn at 4x and the Daemon tool to bypass… something…?

Yes, except up to the Daemon tools part. It is there to play images off your harddrive so if you want to burn the image to disc you won’t need it.

If alcohol doesn’t work you could try Blindwrite, or use Game Jackal and not have any of these problems!

Awesome, thanks.