Both computers won't recognize dvd disk drive anymore!

HEY Guys! This is driving me frickin nuts!!After burning a few movies on my regular computers with dvd fab and imgburn software,both my new laptop and desktop won’t recognize my disk drives.Both drivers are updated.I’ve checked many blogs for help but still no help.Sometimes uninstalling dvd fab restored it or a system restore,but most times I get no D drive in my computer.I would really appreciate any help with this.THNX.

[QUOTE=THEMARCMAN;2276661]HEY Guys! This is driving me frickin nuts!!After burning a few movies on my regular computers with dvd fab and imgburn software,both my new laptop and desktop won’t recognize my disk drives.Both drivers are updated.I’ve checked many blogs for help but still no help.Sometimes uninstalling dvd fab restored it or a system restore,but most times I get no D drive in my computer.I would really appreciate any help with this.THNX.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that DVDFab and Imgburn won’t recognize your DVD drives, or that Windows won’t?

Please advise.

OC

:slight_smile:

Vista won’t recognize drive D.In device manager it says this device is working fine.update and roll back driver didn’t help either.I had this problem with my old lg drive and I went and bought a new internal burner and everything was great for about a month and then again after backing up and burning for a while I get the same problem with my desktop.Insert a dvd and nothing but spinning sounds in the dvd.Belt cables seem fine too.
I thought some issues with Vista might be the problem or dvdfab,because after uninstalling dvdfab and rebooting, my drive D showed up again or a system restore sometimes brought the D in "my computer.“
Then after getting a new laptop the same thing happened after a month of burning.No drive D” in MY Computer.
This has to be happening to others because its pretty strange to happen to to different computers.I’m just trying to find a solution for me and others.
I appreciate any help gang!

Maybe to get DVDFab to work again, did you try uninstalling your optical drives in Device Manager then reboot where Vista looks for the optical drives and reinstalls them?

[QUOTE=THEMARCMAN;2277719]Vista won’t recognize drive D.In device manager it says this device is working fine.update and roll back driver didn’t help either.I had this problem with my old lg drive and I went and bought a new internal burner and everything was great for about a month and then again after backing up and burning for a while I get the same problem with my desktop.Insert a dvd and nothing but spinning sounds in the dvd.Belt cables seem fine too.
I thought some issues with Vista might be the problem or dvdfab,because after uninstalling dvdfab and rebooting, my drive D showed up again or a system restore sometimes brought the D in "my computer.“
Then after getting a new laptop the same thing happened after a month of burning.No drive D” in MY Computer.
This has to be happening to others because its pretty strange to happen to to different computers.I’m just trying to find a solution for me and others.
I appreciate any help gang![/QUOTE]

The Windows operating system, if there are too many errors occuring with a device, will dis-able that device until the error source can be found and corrected. I know XP does this (and I assume Vista does, too).

The problem is, many errors can occur that go unreported on screen, yet contribute to the dis-abling. There should, however, be some indication that this has happened on screen (usually just before it happens).

When you are doing both a read (as in rip with Fab), and a write (as in burn DVD), do you get any on-screen errors reported? Or do the burn logs report any errors?

You may have a bum cable from your board to your DVD drive, and simply replacing it may solve your problem.

Without some testing, that can’t really be done remotely, the exact error may remain a mystery for a while.

Alexia75’s suggestion will work for the short-term, but in the not-too-distant future, your drives will probably shut down again.

Are both your laptop & desktop Vista systems? And which flavour of Vista?

OC

[B] F L A S H [/B]

May have a solution for you if you don’t mind fiddlin’ with the registry in Vista.

Open Start>Run and enter Regedit and run it.

When it’s up and running, look for the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFCI-08002BE10318}

Look for any line in that group that references an upper and/or lower filter, and if there, delete them from your registry.

Re-boot and see if Vista now recognizes your DVD Drive.

Please keep us posted.

OC

Thanxs for any help guys!Yes some dvd’s gave errors that were scratched dvd’s with dvd fab or some burns had the “Oh No!” imgburn likes to say when a burn doesn’t finish properly.You might be on to something here OC.
But why would vista shut down a D drive when a bad application happens with dvd fab?Shouldn’t it just let you try to restart your program?
I’m sure its not a hardware prob because it happened to the laptop also which is brand new

[QUOTE=THEMARCMAN;2277754]Thanxs for any help guys!Yes some dvd’s gave errors that were scratched dvd’s with dvd fab or some burns had the “Oh No!” imgburn likes to say when a burn doesn’t finish properly.You might be on to something here OC.
But why would vista shut down a D drive when a bad application happens with dvd fab?Shouldn’t it just let you try to restart your program?
I’m sure its not a hardware prob because it happened to the laptop also which is brand new[/QUOTE]

When I first read this solution, it proves that your problem isn’t a hardware problem, it isn’t a Fab problem, and it isn’t a DVD problem.

It’s a Vista Problem (can you spell [B]B U G[/B])? (Especially Home Premium Flavour)

Is the laptop Vista, too? If it is, the same fix should work.

Again, please let us know the results.

OC

Yup I think your right with good ol reliable Vista.Can’t wait to get windows 7!!(or a mac)So I deleted both upper and lowers in the registry and the dvd drive now shows up in my computer,but won’t play any dvd that’s inserted.I just hear it spinning.Almost there! Thanks a ton again.

[QUOTE=THEMARCMAN;2277807]Yup I think your right with good ol reliable Vista.Can’t wait to get windows 7!!(or a mac)So I deleted both upper and lowers in the registry and the dvd drive now shows up in my computer,but won’t play any dvd that’s inserted.I just hear it spinning.Almost there! Thanks a ton again.[/QUOTE]

OK…We’re headed in the right direction…

Before you try to play anything, can you catalogue a DVD in your drive with Windows Explorer? (ie. see which individual files are on the DVD)…

Something else I’ve read informed me that Windows Vista won’t play DVDs through W.M.P. - apparently, a third party DVD player must be installed to allow you to watch DVDs (good job you don’t have the Business version of Vista… nothing will allow a DVD to play on that OS).

But first, let me know if you can just catalogue a DVD.

OC

Excellent work OC she’s working now I tried a different dvd,my kids disney was scratched ,so maybe that was the prob,but at least dvd fab loaded it and its cataloged by windows.I’m gonna try the laptop after this.Hey what part of Canada are ya from?
I’m from good ol Montreal.

[QUOTE=THEMARCMAN;2277836]Excellent work OC she’s working now I tried a different dvd,my kids disney was scratched ,so maybe that was the prob,but at least dvd fab loaded it and its cataloged by windows.I’m gonna try the laptop after this.Hey what part of Canada are ya from?
I’m from good ol Montreal.[/QUOTE]

Ontari- - ari - - ari - O

(And still there). EH?

OC

Hi! I’m new here but wanted to say that my computer, also Vista, will do the same thing. Ever since it was brand new, if any non Vista compatible disc went into the drive, the drive would completely disappear.
Now that I downloaded DVD Fab 6, when certain dvd’s go into that drive nothing happens. I can go to the drive in “my computer” and it shows nothing in it when I know there is a disc inside it.
However, it will recognize other dvd’s. It’s driving me crazy because this didn’t happen with Fab 5.
So, Themarcman, you’re not alone in this crazy thing.

[QUOTE=fatbuttmut;2284599]Hi! I’m new here but wanted to say that my computer, also Vista, will do the same thing. Ever since it was brand new, if any non Vista compatible disc went into the drive, the drive would completely disappear.
Now that I downloaded DVD Fab 6, when certain dvd’s go into that drive nothing happens. I can go to the drive in “my computer” and it shows nothing in it when I know there is a disc inside it.
However, it will recognize other dvd’s. It’s driving me crazy because this didn’t happen with Fab 5.
So, Themarcman, you’re not alone in this crazy thing.[/QUOTE]

Try the same solution…if it works, great…if not, at least you’ll be preventing THEMARCMAN’s actual problem fron happening to you.

And I don’t believe it’ll hurt anything, either.

Also, can you please explain what a ‘non-Vista compatible’ disc is?

OC

[QUOTE=OCanada;2284886]can you please explain what a ‘non-Vista compatible’ disc is?

OC :)[/QUOTE]

Now that is something I too would like to know :iagree:
I have Vista and never ran into one myself.

Sounds like it is any disc that produces read errors and what would be a forcing of PIO transfer mode in XP.

non Vista compatible disc, usually a program disc that came out before Vista did and it doesn’t say it’s compatible with Vista.
Hope that makes sense.

[QUOTE=fatbuttmut;2285084]non Vista compatible disc, usually a program disc that came out before Vista did and it doesn’t say it’s compatible with Vista.
Hope that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it makes sense :slight_smile: course I’ve never ran into one myself at least not yet anyway :smiley:

[QUOTE=fatbuttmut;2285084]non Vista compatible disc, usually a program disc that came out before Vista did and it doesn’t say it’s compatible with Vista.
Hope that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

OK… sorry…since this is the DVDFab forum and is mainly about DVDs, that’s what I thought you were referencing… and I’m still waiting to see a DVD that advertises Vista compliance.

Tell me…what do you do on the web re software where there are no discs to look at?

OC

P.S. No answer required for the above bit of whimsey…