Booting Winxp Problems with New Motherboard

vbimport

The 2400MHZ Celeron CPU went bad on Asus P4P800S-X mobo which was replaced with MSI 870S-G54 mobo with AM3 3000MHZ CPU using existing 1TB Seagate SATA hard drive, but Winxp Pro SP2 doesn’t boot. An error screen shows boot menu as if F8 were pressed to boot to safe mode when boot attempt is made, and the mouse stops working when a menu selection is made. If I do a fresh install, everything works fine, but the problem recurs if I restore images of the drive whether using Ghost or Seagate Discwizard to restore the images. There’s one very important program in the images that can’t be reinstalled. I’ve tried to do Winxp repair install, but there’s no repair install option when setup is run from Winxp CD.

I tried the 8 command recovery console steps shown at http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp with no fix. Actually it doesn’t prompt which Windows install I wish to repair that seems to me to indicate it doesn’t see the Windows install. However, all files are on the drive when I view them after boot to Bart PE CD. I’ve similarly upgraded numerous IDE systems in the same way with never a problem, but this is my first try with an SATA system. Is there any way to get the restored image to boot Windows with new mobo on this SATA drive? I’ve considered adding an IDE drive to restore image too that should get the system to boot, but I’d like to be able to boot the SATA drive with restored image if possible. I considered adding IDE drive temporarily, then install all drivers for new hardware and create an image of that IDE drive to restore to the SATA drive, but I’m unsure if that’d work and could be a lot of effort for nothing if it didn’t work. Does anybody know if there’s a working solution to this problem?

Are you sure that seagate wasn’t one of those HDD that had problems with?? It sounds like a hard drive problem if you said you reinstall and worked then problem came back. I would say take that HDD and try it on different computer and see what it does if it does the same problem then that most likely means you got one of those seagate HDD that were problematic and constant death spirals.

Different boards, different CPUs, different chipsets.
The system WILL NOT boot to the desktop with dissimilar hardware.

A clean installation is required.
Flatten and rebuild.

As Nemesys says:

Different boards, different CPUs, different chipsets.
The system WILL NOT boot to the desktop with dissimilar hardware.

You have way to many differences to just transfer over.

There’s nothing wrong with the hard drive I believe since BIOS recognizes it correctly, fresh install works with no problems, and the drive with all files from restored image are seen from boot to Bart PE CD. I believe the only problem is Windows setup not recognizing the install of restored image. I’ve done these kinds of upgrades a number of times with never a problem on IDE systems, but I guess things are a bit more complex with SATA systems.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2588864]There’s nothing wrong with the hard drive I believe since BIOS recognizes it correctly, fresh install works with no problems, and the drive with all files from restored image are seen from boot to Bart PE CD.[/QUOTE]

Here’s the problem you correctly reinstalled the O/S but then you made the mistake of restoring images from a previous image that doesn’t have the right install for the new O/S install that will never work. You need to reinstall everything from ground up not just the O/S if you want to use it properly. Just putting images from prior doesn’t load or install all the right software in the correct location to make it work or function properly.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2588864]I believe the only problem is Windows setup not recognizing the install of restored image.[/QUOTE]

If you haven’t known that now you do. Windows doesn’t like restored image made from prior that doesn’t match the current windows install fail everytime. I done what you done before and it has caused more running issues then it helps. Proper install of the O/S and custom software is the only way to resolve or diagnosis the problem that happen. Restoring image made even if it was the same O/S is not the way to go about fixing problem rather your creating more problems that will show up at the most unlikely of times when your using the computer.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2588864]I’ve done these kinds of upgrades a number of times with never a problem on IDE systems, but I guess things are a bit more complex with SATA systems.[/QUOTE]

I done imaging on both IDE and Sata and if you don’t properly reinstall all the software you can expect trouble running or functioning properly.

Success! Finally figured out the solution which was to run 1 single command from Recovery Console which is “disable intelppm” and then restart. I was sure it should be able to be done, and it was just a matter of figuring out exactly what to do. Awesome what 1 simple command can do!

It might run now, but I doubt your System is stable. Nemesys is correct, do a full Format and Reload. If you don’t want to Format the old HDD, get a new one and do it right. I’m sure you will be on this Message Board again wondering what went wrong. :cool: