Bootcode problems

I tried to change my NEC 6650a to slave using liggy’s bootcode flasher from within my laptop (yes, I know, I don’t have anything but a laptop). Got an error (0x00036, i believe), now the laptop won’t recognize the drive. Anything I can do?

I can’t seem to see any physical way to remove the drive, it’s one of Dell’s XPS series. Any advice on this?

0x0036 is not a possible error code in my bootcode flasher. If your drive LED is blinking, the drive is at least still alive. But I guess you won’t be able to fix it without removing it from your laptop and using an IDE adapter.

But I wonder why you wanted to change your bootcode at all. This procedure is only intended for those laptops that do not recognize the drive.

thanks for the quick reply. I was following this: “NEC’s slimline drives are configured for either master or slave IDE mode. In order to change this, you need to exchange the drive’s bootcode. For some drives NEC offers a DOS based tool for switching your drive from master to slave.” from the bootcode flasher main page. Needed to switch my drive to slave to begin flashing it with new firmware.

After the process errored out (can’t get the exact message, thought that was it), the drive was blinking, and recognized in windows. After a reboot, it was not recognized.

Am I missing something here? How can bootflash see the drive if windows can’t?

You shouldn’t change the connection mode between master and slave just for being able to use different firmwares. Most devices only accept either master or slave but not both.

After the process errored out (can’t get the exact message, thought that was it), the drive was blinking, and recognized in windows. After a reboot, it was not recognized.

The exact error number would be the most important part. You might try to use Binflash and flash a regular firmware to your drive. I assume that the main firmware was (at least partly) erased but the bootcode was not changed and your drive cannot leave the bootcode now.

This may result in Windows not properly recognizing the drive because the bootcode only has very limited functionality which includes neither reading nor writing discs.

Well, I booted to DOS to try to flash, but binflash’s scan resulted in no drives detected. Am I SOL here?

No, you need to purchase a slimline IDE adapter and hook it up to a PC on the secondary channel. Then convert the drive back to master mode using the “normal” (aka master) bootcode flasher. If that’s successful, you can put your hard drive back in and from Windows flash the firmware to a master one. For ND-6650 drives, this means sticking with the 1.xx series firmwares…latest is the Dell 103c.

Thanks! I’ll report with success or not!