Bootable disk?

vbimport

Hi all. How do you [list=a]
[li]make a bootable floppy disk [to boot into dos]
[/li]

• when i have made the disk and have booted my win98 from it, how do i restart the pc in windows
  • or just shut down the pc?[after booting from the floppy]
  • [/list=a]

Is it anything to do with a bootable cd?

btw, i want to do this so i can upgrade my firmware or my liteon 24102b cos it wont flash in windows!!

www.bootdisk.com

There you can download various bootdisks.

If you make a bootable floppy (format a: /s )
    you can then boot from your floppy disk

You can then run the flasher from anywhere (you can for example store it on c: emp)

After you are done and remove your floppy, you can boot into windows again as if nothing happened.

i was told i can may the floppy using only my OS [win98se].
    Can you explain this method plz

After you are done and remove your floppy,…

huh? after i have performed the operations, i remove the floppy but how do i reboot the system so i can load into windows?

edit: i just been to the site, but i don’t know which i should have anyway…i prefere to make my own unless it is very complicated

Originally posted by shuebhussain
    Can you explain this method plz

Originally posted by Da_Taxman
    If you make a bootable floppy (format a: /s )
    you can then boot from your floppy disk

That is your explanation righth there…

Go to MSDOS prompt, type:
    format a: /s

(be sure to use an empty disk. This will copy the system files after a format and thus make it bootable)

Now you should have created yourself a bootable floppy for your own operating system

Originally posted by shuebhussain
    huh? after i have performed the operations, i remove the floppy but how do i reboot the system so i can load into windows?

To make sure though, you have to check the BIOS . It will have to check if it can boot from floppy before it can boot from your hard disk. (so-called boot sequence)

thanks for all your help but u haven’t answered :

quote:

but how do i reboot the system so i can load into windows?

also, do i use the “format a: /s” floppy by leaving it in the A-drive, switching off the pc, then switching on the PC?[this is what i have been told by a tch.Support guy at liteON]

make the disk bootable as described above

shut down your computer by using the regular procedure (start-> shut down)

Insert the disk you have just made bootable in your disk drive

Boot your computer

run the flash program

remove disk from disk drive

reset your PC (either by the reset button or by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL)

Sorry if this is not clear to you, but I don’t know how to explain this any clearer than I already have.

it’s great, thanks

On that same page that Tax gave you, there is also a link about 1/2 down the page that has a link for bootable cd’s.

I used the one from barts way.

bart’s way?

Look for a link that says Barts way its under bootable cd’s…
    its on the bootdisk.com site

damn…the pc wont boot from the format a: /s floppy -------> it acts as if the floppy wasn’t in the drive!!

But, can’t i just

[list=1]
    [li]restart my pc
    [/li][li]hold down control to get the MS Win 98 start up menu
    [/li][li]go to “command prompt only”
    [/li][li]have the flash program on a floppy and run it by the command “a:/cs5s57.exe”
    [/li][li]and restart by pc.
    [/li][/list=1]

The only reason i am being so cautious is because i don’t want to permanently damage my cd-writer in the firmware upgrade process (can i permanently damage my writer by doing something wrong in the firmware upgrade process??? )