Boot Problem

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-E20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi Folks :),

I have a problem with my LG-E60L external DVD/CD Writer and was hoping that someone maybe able to offer some ideas.

I bought this drive as both of my internal drives died at the same time and as I have 3 puters in the house I did not want to have to buy a new internal drive for each, so decided that I would buy an external that I could just move between PC’s.

The problem that I have is that for some reason none of my puters (all self built) will boot to this drive. I have tried every setting possible in the BIOS but the drive does not even spin up on boot, I have also tried setting the external USB device as the only boot device in the priority but still no joy.

I thought this maybe an issue with my old motherboard but I have recently upgraded as per my signature and still the same issue. This has caused a real pain as I have had to resort to borrowing an internal IDE drive just to install my o/s. I would like to also mention that this problem was the same whilst I was using XP before moving to Win7 RC1 64bit.

I would like to add that the drive works brilliantly from within Windows and the only issue I have is on boot up.

I thought that this was likely to be a firmware issue but I have looked on the LG website but this model is not even listed.

Any help or idea’s anyone has would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Many thanks for your time.

Hi and Welcome!

the inability to boot from that drive might be an issue of the motherboard Bios. It would be a good idea to borrow another external optical drive just to try if you can boot from that unit.
This inability to boot could be restricted to USB optical drives: on my Dell laptop, I can boot from a bootable USB stick, but I can not boot off an external optical drive for whatever reason.

Michael

Many thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

I thought the issue could be with the drive as I have had this issue now with 2 different motherboards (current Gigabyte and previous DFI board), but I am unsure if these both use the same BIOS or not.

I will see if I can borrow another drive to test if the problem is with the drive or not and thankyou for your time :slight_smile:

Hi,[QUOTE=Judd007;2307692]Many thanks for your reply :)[/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

I thought the issue could be with the drive as I have had this issue now with 2 different motherboards (current Gigabyte and previous DFI board), but I am unsure if these both use the same BIOS or not.
Of course these motherboards don’t have the same Bios. But unfortunately, the mainboard manufacturers don’t care very much about such issues.

Apart from the laptop I already mentioned, I own an older desktop system with MSI motherboard. That beast does not boot from any USB device if I have my Sata controller card installed. :doh:

I will see if I can borrow another drive to test if the problem is with the drive or not and thankyou for your time :slight_smile:
You may also please test it you can boot off a bootable USB stick.

Michael

@ Judd007,

Have you considered the possibility that your problem might be that your “LG GSA-E60L external DVD/CD Writer” is defective?

In seeing that you have 3 different Computers and the “LG GSA-E60L external DVD/CD Writer” “drive does not even spin up on boot” this is a possibility to consider.

According to the Super Multi DVD LG GSA-E60L “Quick Set-Up Guide” PDF document ““the AC power supply cord is intended to serve as the main disconnect device. The LG GSA-E60L does not have an On/Off switch and as soon as the AC power cord is connected "The Power Up Sequence Begins””.

Does the LG GSA-E60L LED illuminate when the AC power supply cord is plugged into the LG GSA-E60L?

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=Judd007;2307660][qanda]
I would like to add that the drive works brilliantly from within Windows and the only issue I have is on boot up.[/QUOTE]
bjkg this should mean the drive is working.

Thanks for your replys :slight_smile:

Well the weirdest thing ever…I decided to see if the LED on the external drive lit up on boot, so rebooted, entered BIOS, and changed the first boot device to USB-CDROM from Hardisk, all other devices stayed disabled, placed the Win7 RC1 64bit disk in the drive and rebooted and the drive span and system booted to the DVD/CD drive!!

I do not know for the life of me what has changed but suddenly the drive is bootable again :slight_smile:

The one good thing is I have now joined this brilliant forum and will try to repay the help you have given me by helping others!!

Many thanks

Judd (happy as a pig in pig poo!)

Glad you got it sorted :slight_smile: :clap:

Michael