Boot order changing?

The boot order randomly changes in the BIOS on a MSI K8T Neo-V motherboard with VIA chipset. All drives currently in the system are PATA drives if that matters. It stays to what I set it for a few restarts and then changes at random. Is this likely a motherboard problem, or could it be the battery or something else?

There are no other problems with the PC with stability, keeping time or anything else, and I can change boot order as needed in order to boot to CD, floppy, etc. It’s just annoying to have to reset the boot order which shouldn’t be necessary if the BIOS kept it correctly.

Make sure you have the latest bios loaded, that usually fixes buges like this. Also don’t use the ‘live update’ its far safer to dl the bios and do it the old fashion way.

K8T Neo-V V2.0
K8T Neo-V

Look on your MB to see if you have version 2 or not.

It might be the rechargeable CMOS battery on it’s way out; I don’t know if these are easily replaceable on a laptop; I suspect that some are soldered in. If you’re feeling confident, dismantle your machine and have a look…

Slainte

midders

Your probably right Middlers. Although I’m pretty sure their not rechargeable, their just Lithium Ion. But on a board thats going on 5 years old now it probably is the battery. Its not a laptop so he should be able to do it pretty easily, just remember to pull the power plug before starting.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2486843]The boot order randomly changes in the BIOS on a MSI K8T Neo-V motherboard with VIA chipset. All drives currently in the system are PATA drives if that matters. It stays to what I set it for a few restarts and then changes at random. Is this likely a motherboard problem, or could it be the battery or something else?

There are no other problems with the PC with stability, keeping time or anything else, and I can change boot order as needed in order to boot to CD, floppy, etc. It’s just annoying to have to reset the boot order which shouldn’t be necessary if the BIOS kept it correctly.[/QUOTE]

Is that a desktop or laptop? I don’t see any info for that mobo your asking about can you give a more exact model number? If you keep loosing your Bios settings it’s as other mentioned the cmos batter is going out and if it’s a desktop you will need to replace it to keep it working and upated your Bios as well. And if none of those fix does it then most likely your motherboard is no longer a functional motherboard and should be replaced.

It’s a desktop, and BIOS updates are at http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=611. I’ll check the battery first to see if that helps.