Boot, no boot

vbimport

I am working on a computer that was self built and was working fine until one day the owner tried to boot that computer.

When the computer is turned on sometimes the monitors won’t work but the computer seems to boot as I have to hold the power button for several seconds to get the computer to shut down.

Other time, this is most of the time, when the computer gets past the BIOS screen a black screen with: “Invalid system disk Replace the disk, and then press any key” appears. There is no disk in the ROM. The HD is a 750 GB WD and checks fine. I have checked the RAM with no errors. If I tap any key several times it will finishing booting sometimes and sometimes it won’t

When the computer boots it works fine. Any suggestions. Thanks.

[QUOTE=kemperhils;2786993]I am working on a computer that was self built and was working fine until one day the owner tried to boot that computer.

When the computer is turned on sometimes the monitors won’t work but the computer seems to boot as I have to hold the power button for several seconds to get the computer to shut down.[/QUOTE]

Could be display connection My DIV side went out recently moved the cable to the VGA and it is working fine.
Or the monitor or monitor connection is starting to go.

Other time, this is most of the time, when the computer gets past the BIOS screen a black screen with: “Invalid system disk Replace the disk, and then press any key” appears. There is no disk in the ROM. The HD is a 750 GB WD and checks fine. I have checked the RAM with no errors. If I tap any key several times it will finishing booting sometimes and sometimes it won’t

Check or replace Sata or IDE cable to the Drive Could be going bad.

When the computer boots it works fine. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Cables / connectors would be my first guess.

[QUOTE=bean55;2787000]Could be display connection My DIV side went out recently moved the cable to the VGA and it is working fine.
Or the monitor or monitor connection is starting to go.

Check or replace Sata or IDE cable to the Drive Could be going bad.T

Cables / connectors would be my first guess.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, and sorry I didn’t post pertinent information. The computer has two monitors in a split screen configuration. Both don’t work.

I replaced the SATA cable from the HD to the motherboard. And I used a second HD I had Windows 7 Pro installed on and it did the same thing. Sorry.

The computer has two monitors in a split screen configuration. Both don’t work.

Are both connected to the MOBO or a add on graphics card ?
Still could be connectors going bad, try a add on graphics card if not using one now
Or drivers just not loading if the bios stuff is seen as booting up.

I replaced the SATA cable from the HD to the motherboard. And I used a second HD I had Windows 7 Pro installed on and it did the same thing

Did you replace it in the same slot, perhaps the slot is worn out or going bad, did you try another SATA slot ?

Next thing to look at is the PSU perhaps it is going out and not providing the necessary power all the time.

[QUOTE=bean55;2787004]Are both connected to the MOBO or a add on graphics card ?
Still could be connectors going bad, try a add on graphics card if not using one now
Or drivers just not loading if the bios stuff is seen as booting up.

Did you replace it in the same slot, perhaps the slot is worn out or going bad, did you try another SATA slot ?

Next thing to look at is the PSU perhaps it is going out and not providing the necessary power all the time.[/QUOTE]

[I]Are both connected to the MOBO or a add on graphics card ?[/I]

New graphics card.

[I]Or drivers just not loading if the bios stuff is seen as booting up.[/I]

Drivers loaded from CD that came with card.

[I] PSU perhaps it is going out[/I]

Checked the PSU with my PSU tester and the only thing was the 12v showed up as blinking L.L, but I have another computer with the same PS that shows the same thing and it works fine. Thanks.