Booktyping

vbimport

Hi, does anyone know; when a DVD+R is booktyped to DVD-R is it burnt as DVD+R or DVD-R & in booktyping to - does it lose anything or are there disadvantages. As long as what it’ll be played on supports DVD+R is it better to go with that format?

Booktyping is just a method of fooling a DVD player into thinking the +R is something else. The disc always physically remains a +R (and of course is burned as such according to capacity etc). If you look at a disc with Nero CD-DVD Speed it will distinguish between the [I]disc type[/I] and the [I]book type[/I], and display them separately.

Some older DVD players and recorders are picky about +Rs, so booktyping to -R or -ROM (read-only memory) might get round that. Otherwise I can’t think of any other advantages.

Most booktyping is to DVD-ROM to mimic a non-rewriteable commercial DVD.

If you still burn with a DVD+RW burner Booktyping could have a use; but better yet upgrade the burner to a DVD+/-RW. Nearly every DVD player since 2004 sould read both DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2067627]Booktyping is just a method of fooling a DVD player into thinking the +R is something else. The disc always physically remains a +R (and of course is burned as such according to capacity etc). If you look at a disc with Nero CD-DVD Speed it will distinguish between the [I]disc type[/I] and the [I]book type[/I], and display them separately.

Some older DVD players and recorders are picky about +Rs, so booktyping to -R or -ROM (read-only memory) might get round that. Otherwise I can’t think of any other advantages.

Most booktyping is to DVD-ROM to mimic a non-rewriteable commercial DVD.[/QUOTE]

The disc always physically remains a +R (and of course is burned as such - thanks.
it will distinguish between the [I]disc type[/I] and the [I]book type[/I] - I saw this but didn’t know the above.
That leaves one more question, if compatibility is not an issue, are there any disadvantages to changing the booktype?

Can’t think of any. :wink:

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2068823]Can’t think of any. ;)[/QUOTE]
Thanks.
If a DVD+R is booktyped to DVD-R & the player is fooled, why doesn’t it look for ‘pre-pits’ & try & burn/read it the same as a DVD-R?

[QUOTE=Jrik;2067610]Hi, does anyone know; [B]when a DVD+R is booktyped to DVD-R[/B] is it burnt as DVD+R or DVD-R & in booktyping to - does it lose anything or are there disadvantages. As long as what it’ll be played on supports DVD+R is it better to go with that format?[/QUOTE]

There is no such (FEW exceptions exist, but they are firmwares failures).
ONLY DVD+ media can be booktyped, by depending on the drive capabilities.

[QUOTE=Jrik;2068903]Thanks.
[B]If a DVD+R is booktyped to DVD-R [/B]& the player is fooled, why doesn’t it look for ‘pre-pits’ & try & burn/read it the same as a DVD-R?[/QUOTE]

again, this is non existent.

You can never ever change a mediatype.