Booktype or no?

vbimport

I am thinking of getting a BD-R writer for my gateway but I can’t seem to find any information as to what it’s booktyping is? The unit is a Sony/Optiac
BD-5730S-01 from Amazon.

Is this drive already booktyp so for DVD+R or DVD+R DL would booktype to DVD-ROM format?

I think this drive will only support setting the booktype of DVD+R-DL to DVD-ROM

[QUOTE=Liggy;2608442]I think this drive will only support setting the booktype of DVD+R-DL to DVD-ROM[/QUOTE]

So I am out of luck for DVD+R format then? So I will just have to keep looking more? Is there a way I can find more info as to if the DVD+R format can booktype to DVD-ROM? I like to have a BD burner that can still do dvd burns. Would you have a laptop drive to recommend that I should look into that I can custom set the booktype for all formats in DVD+R and DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM and keep it that way? I am in the US and use both Amazon and Newegg for my orders and sometimes a local retailer if they have a unit I can look at.

I think with Optiarc BD burners based on a NEC/Renesas SCOMBO chipset design, you’re probably out of luck here. No idea about other manufacturers. Most LiteOn drives support bitsetting on DVD+R but I don’t know if they have slimline BD burners.

If you manage to figure out their firmware encryption, it might however be possible to modify Optiarc firmwares. But at least I have been out of luck so far :frowning:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2608503]I think with Optiarc BD burners based on a NEC/Renesas SCOMBO chipset design, you’re probably out of luck here. No idea about other manufacturers. Most LiteOn drives support bitsetting on DVD+R but I don’t know if they have slimline BD burners.

If you manage to figure out their firmware encryption, it might however be possible to modify Optiarc firmwares. But at least I have been out of luck so far :([/QUOTE]

I kinda figure it would end up like that…well I keep looking then. The reason was my current dvd burner in my Gateway NV52 is a mitusi sh**((& and I wanted to change it so I had the option to go DVD-ROM format…I did find a lite on and I investigate it some more. My desktop BD burner can be set to DVD-ROM format which I was happy for.