BookType not working

BookType 1.0.4 isnt changing the BookType of my DVD+Rs to DVD-ROM.

I run the program in the background while burning with DVD Shrink 3.1.7 and Nero 6.3.1.6, the movie plays fine, but DVD Decryptor still shows the book type as DVD+R. What am I doing wrong here?

Burner used: LiteOn 812S
More information:
Using Memorex 4x DVD+R media
Windows XP Professional SP1
512MB RAM

Not sure as I’ve not tried it myself. (Don’t have the drive).

But what I’ve read is that booktype setting do still not work with 812S drives, this may be a problem with the booktype program or the firmware.

Plese correct me someone if I’m wrong :wink:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Not sure as I’ve not tried it myself. (Don’t have the drive).

But what I’ve read is that booktype setting do still not work with 812S drives, this may be a problem with the booktype program or the firmware.

Plese correct me someone if I’m wrong :wink: [/B]

Yes OC, you are right.
LiteON has promised that very soon a new firmware will be released for bitsetting support.

Just a lite sidenote,

you DO NOT need to run booktype in the background. All you do is run it once, set your booktype, change, confirm it says OK, and close the program. You can then run your burning program and it will be taken care of automatically since the program sends a command inside the drive. The booktype will be effective until you reboot your computer - only then will you need to run the program again.

Also, there seems to be a bug in booktype 1.0.4. After burning a finished disc, booktyped to DVD-ROM, if you do a query in booktype 1.04 it will report it as a DVD+R instead of DVD-ROM.

I use DVDInfoPro to later scan my disc, and have no problem with the booktype utility, it reports it as booktype DVD-ROM… Disc type will always be DVD+R… But your DVD players luckily, will look at the booktype info :slight_smile:

I believe there is already bitsetting support for 812 (not sure)
and there will be a new version of booktype released soon.

The 812S does not support bit setting yet. It should hopefully be in the next firmware release from LiteOn.

Is this really such rocket science for Liteon to get right? Aren’t they just making it so you can change that bit of info that is burnt on the disc to read “DVD-ROM” instead of “DVD+R” ??

They’ve already done this for several previous models. Why should it take any time for the 812?

Or is this more complex than it seems?

Zeno

I’m assuming they want to test and ensure it works before releasing it to the public.

Ssseth, I must have traveled in time or something but I could have sworn that LiteON DID release a new firmware for 812 and it supports bitsetting, unless my time machine is broken or I am really confused :smiley:

Oh wait! I think I got mixed up with the 851, LiteON released a new firmware for the 851 to support BS (bitsetting :D)
Sorry about that :smiley:

Ya there was a mix-up. LiteOn released the new firmware for the 812S and some yahoo put in the info on the webpage that it supports bit setting when in fact it does not. They fixed the webpage soon after. But like I said it should be in the next firmware update.