BookType and DVD Decrypter w/ 1673S JS07

vbimport

Hi,

So I flashed my 1673S to JS07 (w/ recommended tweaks and 16x reading). I have new DVD+R media finally. I also got the LiteOn BookType setting tool v 1.35.

Question is, I did a query, then changed the type to DVD-ROM, then hit the change button. It said it changed successfully. But there is a Write Now button greyed out – what’s that for? Anyway, after rebooting and requerying, it stays on DVD-ROM so that’s good.

But then in DVD Decrypter, which I use to burn with, when I insert a blank DVD+R (and before I begin the burn) the info area shows under the ADIP that the media code is YUDEN000T02 and the booktype is DVD+R.

If I try to change the book type (little folder icon next to the burn speed) i can pick Lite-On, but then what should I change? Next Write, Current Media DVD+RW, Drive +R/+R DL, Drive +R/+R DL (EEPROM), etc. I have no idea what these mean. I notice that all the Drive ones already show DVD-ROM.

I’m just wondering why DVD Decrypter lists “DVD+R” under the ADIP as the booktype. Am I worrying about nothing? LiteOn’s own booktype tool, whenever I query it, shows DVD-ROM consistently now.

Ok, bit of a correction maybe. After burning the disc, if I go into ISO Read Mode in DVD Decrypter, this is what shows up in the info window. Notice the BookType for ADIP is still DVD+R, but the “Last Recorded” one is DVD-ROM. Is everything cool here?

LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S JS07 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 2,238,032
Size: 4,583,489,536 bytes
Time: 497:22:32 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,434,639
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Use the “Drive +R/+R DL Media (EEPROM)”. Select DVD-ROM
Use the “Drive +RW Media(EEPROM)”. Select DVD+RW.
Now go to “Next Write”.
See how it shows newt write ALL +R media. Cool, huh?
Whenever you use a DVD+RW, burn with decrypter, then use Lite-On booktype utility to set DVD+RW to DVD-ROM. If you want to reburn DVD+RW, RESET booktype to +RW with
To also answer above, YES it is normal.

I’m afraid I don’t quite follow. If I set the DVD+R type to “DVD-ROM” in LiteOn’s own booktype utility, why do I have to do anything else? That is, I thought that utility changed the setting at the firmware level, so I didn’t have to do it at the software level in DVD Decrypter. Is that not correct?

So you’re saying the DVD Decrypter settings override the booktype utility? I guess the booktype utility simply sets the booktype in the EEPROM, and DVD Decrypter only uses the EEPROM setting if you instruct it to do so?

Why do you have to do any resetting when you burn DVD+RW? Because the booktype utility doesn’t differentiate between +R and +RW? Should +RW always be burned with DVD+RW booktype?

It has been my experience that FORMATTING and rewriting DVD-ROM booktyped DVD+RWs can lead to burning problems without resetting from DVD-ROM back to DVD+RW

Ok, so why not leave the booktype for DVD+RW’s to DVD+RW? That way no changes will ever be necessary, no?

Is there a utility out there that can tell you, after you’ve burned a disc, what booktype it is set to? Kind of like DVD Identifier (for the media code) but instead it reads only the booktype.

If your standalone can read DVD+RW, no need to change, but some are not that lucky!!!
I use DVD Info Pro. Go here for it http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=106